Subject: [TLS] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-thomson-tls-tls13-vectors-00.txt

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2016 15:09:10 +1100

A lot of people have asked for test vectors for TLS 1.3.  This draft
includes two very simple handshakes: a 1-RTT handshake and a 0-RTT
handshake resumed from the first.

The baling-wire and string holding this together are here:
  https://github.com/martinthomson/tls13-vectors

Requests for scenarios to trace are welcome.  The vectors are
automatically generated using the NSS test suite, so I'm very happy to
write new tests and include the traces from those tests.

Since NSS only supports draft -16, these aren't up to date with the
latest draft.  We're working on an update and I hope to be able to
provide an version that is updated to -18 before we meet.

I would like to talk about whether this is worthwhile publishing.  In
Seoul if we can't decide before then.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From:  <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 October 2016 at 14:56
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-thomson-tls-tls13-vectors-00.txt
To: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-thomson-tls-tls13-vectors-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Martin Thomson and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-thomson-tls-tls13-vectors
Revision:       00
Title:          Example Handshake Traces for TLS 1.3
Document date:  2016-10-28
Group:          Individual Submission
Pages:          26
URL:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-thomson-tls-tls13-vectors-00.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-thomson-tls-tls13-vectors/
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-thomson-tls-tls13-vectors-00

Abstract:
   Examples of TLS 1.3 handshakes are shown.  Private keys and inputs
   are provided so that these handshakes might be reproduced.
   Intermediate values, including secrets, traffic keys and ivs are
   shown so that implementations might be checked incrementally against
   these values.

---

From: Kazuho Oku <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 23:34:39 +0900

Hi,

Thank you for the draft.

As said, I would love to have this kind of document.

In TLS 1.3, multiples steps are required to derive the AEAD secrets.
Without a step-by-step example, implementors need to (i.e. I had to)
struggle to figure out what went wrong.

I also believe that the document should be put up at some location
where people trying to implement TLS 1.3 can find easily. And as a
novice myself, RFCs would be where I would search first.

2016-10-29 13:09 GMT+09:00 Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>:
> _______________________________________________
> TLS mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls

-- 
Kazuho Oku