Subject: Registration request for the 'liberty' URN namespace

From: Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Apr 2003 13:02:14 -0400

Included below is draft-mealling-liberty-urn-00.txt, a registration
draft for the 'liberty' formal URN namespace. It has been sent to the
Internet Drafts repository. 

Enjoy!

-MM

Network Working Group                                        M. Mealling
Internet-Draft                                            VeriSign, Inc.
Expires: October 10, 2003                                 April 11, 2003

            A URN Namespace For The Liberty Alliance Project
                   draft-mealling-liberty-urn-00.txt

Status of this Memo

   This document is an Internet-Draft and is in full conformance with
   all provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026 except that the right to
   produce derivative works is not granted.

   Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
   Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups. Note that other
   groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time. It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at http://
   www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

   The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

   This Internet-Draft will expire on October 10, 2003.

Copyright Notice

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2003). All Rights Reserved.

Abstract

   This document describes a URN namespace that will identify various
   objects within the Liberty Architecture for federated network
   identity.

1. Introduction

   The Liberty Architecture seeks to provide federated network identity
   in such a way that enhances security, privacy and trust; thus
   creating a networked world across which individuals and businesses
   can engage in virtually any transaction without compromising the
   privacy and security of vital identity information.

Mealling                Expires October 10, 2003                [Page 1]

Internet-Draft         The Liberty URN Namespace              April 2003

   One fundamental component of this architecture is its use of XML [4],
   and specifically, XML Schema [6] and Namespaces [5]. These components
   require identifiers that will live far beyond the lifetime of the
   organization that produced them. As such, a URN namespace for those
   components that adheres to the assumptions and policies of the
   Liberty specification is required.

   This namespace specification is for a formal namespace.

2. Specification Template

   Namespace ID:

         "liberty" requested.

   Registration Information:

         Registration Version Number: 1

         Registration Date: 2003-04-01

   Declared registrant of the namespace:

         Liberty Alliance Project

         c/o IEEE-ISTO

         445 Hoes Lane

         Piscataway, NJ 08855-1331, USA

         [email-masked]

   Declaration of structure:

         The Namespace Specific Strings (NSS) of all URNs assigned by
         Liberty will conform to the syntax defined in section 2.2 of
         RFC2141 [1]. In addition, all Liberty URN NSSs will consist of
         a left-to-right series of tokens delimited by colons.  The
         left-to-right sequence of colon-delimited tokens corresponds to
         descending nodes in a tree.  To the right of the lowest naming

Mealling                Expires October 10, 2003                [Page 2]

Internet-Draft         The Liberty URN Namespace              April 2003

         authority node there may be zero, one or more levels of
         hierarchical (although not in the RFC  2396 [3] sense of
         'hierarchy') naming nodes terminating in a rightmost leaf node.
         See the section entitled "Identifier assignment" below for more
         on the semantics of NSSs.  This syntax convention is captured
         in the following normative ABNF [2] rules for Liberty NSSs:

     Liberty-NSS        =   1*(subStChar) 0*(":" 1*(subStChar))
     subStChar       =   trans / "%" HEXDIG HEXDIG
     trans           =   ALPHA / DIGIT / other / reserved
     other           =   "(" / ")" / "+" / "," / "-" / "." /
                         "=" / "@" / ";" / "$" /
                         "_" / "!" / "*" / "'"
     reserved        =   "%" / "/" / "?" / "#"

          The exclusion of the colon from the list of "other" characters
         means that the colon can only occur as a delimiter between
         string tokens.  Note that this ABNF rule set guarantees that
         any valid Liberty NSS is also a valid RFC2141 NSS.

         For example:

            urn:liberty:schemas:authctx:2002:05
            urn:liberty:schemas:core:2002:12

   Relevant ancillary documentation:

         Liberty Architecture Overview [7]

         Version 1.1

         Liberty Alliance Project

         January 15, 2003

   Identifier uniqueness considerations:

         Identifiers are assigned by the Liberty Project within its
         various standards. In the process of publishing a specification
         all newly minted names are checked against the record of
         previously assigned names.

Mealling                Expires October 10, 2003                [Page 3]

Internet-Draft         The Liberty URN Namespace              April 2003

   Identifier persistence considerations:

         The assignment process guarantees that names are not reassigned
         and that the binding between the name and and its resource is
         permanent, regardless of any standards or organizational
         changes.

   Process of identifier assignment:

         Names are assigned by the Liberty standards publication
         process.

   Process of identifier resolution:

         At this time no resolution mechanism is specified.

   Rules for Lexical Equivalence:

         The entire URN is case-insensitive.

   Conformance with URN Syntax:

         There are no additional characters reserved.

   Validation mechanism:

         None other than verifying with the correct Liberty
         specifications.

   Scope:

         Global

Mealling                Expires October 10, 2003                [Page 4]

Internet-Draft         The Liberty URN Namespace              April 2003

3. IANA Considerations

   This document includes a URN Namespace registration that is to be
   entered into the IANA registry for URN NIDs.

4. Community Considerations

   While there is no resolution mechanism for this namespace, the names
   themselves are used in public implementations of the Liberty
   specifications. There are circumstances where objects from the
   Liberty system will become exposed to the general Internet. In these
   cases the use of the Liberty namespace will provide general
   interoperability benefits to the Internet at large. Additionally,
   there may be subcomponents of the Liberty specifications that may be
   adopted by other standards, in which case the URNs used to identify
   those components and specifications can be easily used to enhance
   other, non-Liberty based, systems.

5. Security Considerations

   Since there is no defined resolution mechanism for Liberty URNs it is
   difficult to authenticate the fact that a given namespace actually
   adheres to the standard, thus applications should be be careful to
   not take some unverified sources assertion that what it is sending
   adheres to what the actual URN is assigned to.

References

   [1]  Moats, R., "URN Syntax", RFC 2141, May 1997.

   [2]  Crocker, D. and P. Overell, "Augmented BNF for Syntax
        Specifications: ABNF", RFC 2234, November 1997.

   [3]  Berners-Lee, T., Fielding, R. and L. Masinter, "Uniform Resource
        Identifiers (URI): Generic Syntax", RFC 2396, August 1998.

   [4]  Bray, T., Paoli, J., Sperberg-McQueen, C. and E. Maler,
        "Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.0 (2nd ed)", W3C REC-xml,
        October 2000, <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml>.

   [5]  Bray, T., Hollander, D. and A. Layman, "Namespaces in XML", W3C
        REC-xml-names, January 1999, <http://www.w3.org/TR/
        REC-xml-names>.

   [6]  Thompson, H., Beech, D., Maloney, M. and N. Mendelsohn, "XML
        Schema Part 1: Structures", W3C REC-xmlschema-1, May 2001,
        <http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/>.

Mealling                Expires October 10, 2003                [Page 5]

Internet-Draft         The Liberty URN Namespace              April 2003

   [7]  Hodges, J. and T. Watson, "Liberty Architecture Overview",
        Liberty 1.1, January 2003, <http://www.project-liberty.org/
        specs/liberty-architecture-overview-v1.1.pdf>.

Author's Address

   Michael Mealling
   VeriSign, Inc.
   21345 Ridgetop Circle
   Dulles, VA  20166
   US

   Phone: +1 678 581 9656
   EMail: [email-masked]
   URI:   http://www.verisignlabs.com

Mealling                Expires October 10, 2003                [Page 6]

Internet-Draft         The Liberty URN Namespace              April 2003

Intellectual Property Statement

   The IETF takes no position regarding the validity or scope of any
   intellectual property or other rights that might be claimed to
   pertain to the implementation or use of the technology described in
   this document or the extent to which any license under such rights
   might or might not be available; neither does it represent that it
   has made any effort to identify any such rights. Information on the
   IETF's procedures with respect to rights in standards-track and
   standards-related documentation can be found in BCP-11. Copies of
   claims of rights made available for publication and any assurances of
   licenses to be made available, or the result of an attempt made to
   obtain a general license or permission for the use of such
   proprietary rights by implementors or users of this specification can
   be obtained from the IETF Secretariat.

   The IETF invites any interested party to bring to its attention any
   copyrights, patents or patent applications, or other proprietary
   rights which may cover technology that may be required to practice
   this standard. Please address the information to the IETF Executive
   Director.

Full Copyright Statement

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2003). All Rights Reserved.

   This document and translations of it may be copied and furnished to
   others, and derivative works that comment on or otherwise explain it
   or assist in its implementation may be prepared, copied, published
   and distributed, in whole or in part, without restriction of any
   kind, provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are
   included on all such copies and derivative works. However, this
   document itself may not be modified in any way, such as by removing
   the copyright notice or references to the Internet Society or other
   Internet organizations, except as needed for the purpose of
   developing Internet standards in which case the procedures for
   copyrights defined in the Internet Standards process must be
   followed, or as required to translate it into languages other than
   English.

   The limited permissions granted above are perpetual and will not be
   revoked by the Internet Society or its successors or assignees.

   This document and the information contained herein is provided on an
   "AS IS" basis and THE INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE INTERNET ENGINEERING
   TASK FORCE DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING
   BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE INFORMATION

Mealling                Expires October 10, 2003                [Page 7]

Internet-Draft         The Liberty URN Namespace              April 2003

   HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
   MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Acknowledgement

   Funding for the RFC Editor function is currently provided by the
   Internet Society.

Mealling                Expires October 10, 2003                [Page 8]