Subject: Formal URN NID Request for Name Identification Service

From: "함경수" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:45:38 +0900

Dear URN-NID,

Attached is a Formal URN NID proposal for the Name Identification  Service.

Please review the attached draft.

Best regards,

Kyung Soo Ham

EMan GNS

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Network Working Group                                     Ham, Kyung Soo
Internet-Draft                                             Eman GNS Inc.
Category : Informational                                   November 2005

A URN Namespace for the Name Identification Service

Status of this Memo

This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) statement

By submitting this Internet-Draft, each author represents that any
applicable patent or other IPR claims of which he or she is aware
have been or will be disclosed, and any of which he or she becomes
aware will be disclosed, in accordance with Section 6 of BCP 79.

Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups. Note that other
groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-Drafts.

Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
time. It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/1id-abstracts.html

The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html

Disclaimer of validity:

The IETF takes no position regarding the validity or scope of
any Intellectual Property Rights or other rights that might be
claimed to pertain to the implementation or use of the technology
described in this document or the extent to which any license
under such rights might or might not be available; nor does it
represent that it has made any independent effort to identify
any such rights. Information on the procedures with respect to rights
in RFC documents can be found in BCP 78 and BCP 79.

Copies of IPR disclosures made to the IETF Secretariat
and any assurances of licenses to be made available,
or the result of an attempt made to obtain a general license
or permission for the use of such proprietary rights by implementers
or users of this specification can be obtained from the IETF
on-line IPR repository at http://www.ietf.org/ipr.

The IETF invites any interested party to bring to
its attention any copyrights, patents or patent applications,
or other proprietary rights that may cover technology
that may be required to implement this standard.
Please address the information to the IETF at [email-masked].

Kyung Soo                                                       [Page 1]

Internet-Draft                                             November 2005
A URN Namespace for the Name Identification Service

Abstract

This document describes URN namespace for Name Identification
Service enabling users to conveniently access such digital resources
as e-book, music, moving picture, image, home page, blog page on the
world wide web using such simple names as title of contents, author,
organization name, blog name, etc. and receive relevant information
services.

1.  Introduction

Name Identification Service enables general Internet users to easily
access to the information on the Internet using such easy-to-remember
names as movie titles, publishers, singer names, song titles, etc.[1]

When an Internet user types such book title as "Da Vinci Code" on a
web browser or toolbar input window, plug-in module installed on the
user's computer changes it into an URN used in the Name
Identification Service for the provision of service.

The name used by a user on a web browser or toolbar input window
shall be defined as different Name Identifier(URN) for each country
serviced.  Consequently, one name can be registered with different
URN for different countries and users can request for differentiated
resolution service for the same name by designating service country
like "Da Vinci Code/kr" or "Da Vinci Code/us. "  The request of
a user shall be changed into a URN containing service providing
country information and transmitted to the Name Identification
Service center of the relevant country.  Name Identification Service
Center of each country creates a HTML containing URL registered on
the relevant URN and sends it back to a user as a service response.

This namespace specification is for a formal namespace.

2.  Specification Template

Namespace ID: "name" requested.

Registration Information:

Registration Version Number: 1
Registration Date: 2005-11-02

Declared registrant of the namespace:

Name: Ham, Kyung Soo
Company: Eman GNS Inc.
E-Mail: [email-masked]

Kyung Soo                                                       [Page 2]

Internet-Draft                                             November 2005

Declaration of structure:

All Namespace Specific Strings(NSS) of URN issued through the
Name Identification Service shall follow the URN syntax structure
defined in the  RFC2141[2]. Name Identifier shall be composed of
country code and name separated by colon(":").  The following
example describes NSS syntax structure of Name Identifier used in
the Name Identification Service.

<Name Identifier NSS> := <Country Code> ":" <Name>
<Country Code>        := <Alpha> <Alpha>
<Name>                := 1*<URN Chars>
<Alpha>               := <Upper> | <Lower>
<URN Chars>           := <Trans> | "%" <Hex> <Hex>
<Trans> := <Upper> | <Lower> | <Number> | <Other> | <Reserved>
<Hex>   := <Number> | "A" | "B" | "C" | "D" | "E" | "F" |
"a" | "b" | "c" | "d" | "e" | "f"
<Upper> := "A" | "B" | "C" | "D" | "E" | "F" | "G" | "H" | "I" |
"J" | "K" | "L" | "M" | "N" | "O" | "P" | "Q" | "R" |
"S" | "T" | "U" | "V" | "W" | "X" | "Y" | "Z"
<Lower> := "a" | "b" | "c" | "d" | "e" | "f" | "g" | "h" | "i" |
"j" |"k" | "l" | "m" | "n" | "o" | "p" | "q" | "r" | "s" |
"t" |"u" | "v" | "w" | "x" | "y" | "z"
<Number> := "0" | "1" | "2" | "3" | "4" | "5" | "6" | "7" | "8" | "9"
<Other>  := " (" | ")" | "+" | "," | "-" | "." | "=" | "@" | ";" |
"$" | "_" | "!" | "*" | "'"
<Reserved> := "%" | "/" | "?" | "#"

For example:

urn:name:us:Da+Vinci+Code
urn:name:kr:%ED%95%A8%EA%B2%BD%EC%88%98
urn:name:kr:enpia

Relevant ancillary documentation:

none

Kyung Soo                                                       [Page 3]

Internet-Draft                                             November 2005

Identifier uniqueness considerations:

Eman GNS shall establish unique identifiers as appropriate. Name
Identifier shall be issued by each country's Name Identification
Service Center and a Name Identifier to be issued shall include
information on the service country.  Therefore, for the same name,
a different Name Identifier is issued for each country and
a globally same Name Identifier cannot be registered.

Identifier persistence considerations:

The Name Identifier registered for a name shall not be changed or
reused for a different name.  Therefore, the Name Identifier
assigned to a name shall be managed eternally. And Eman GNS will
operate a backup service and make an effort to find a substitute
in case a Name Identification Service center becomes out of
operation.

Process of identifier assignment:

Assignment of Name Identifier to a name shall be managed by a
Name Identification Center of each service country.  The
application of Name Identifier registration for specific name
shall be examined before assignment and   Name Identifier is not
assigned to all the applied names.  Priority will be given to a
public interest than a private interest.  Therefore, even though
the time for application is important, it will be taken into
account public interest of a Name Identifier.

Process of identifier resolution:

When a user types "IETF RFC3401" on a web browser or toolbar
input window, a plug-in module installed in a user's computer
changes the name into a Name Identifier in the form of
"urn:name:kr:IETF+RFC3401." The plug-in module sends a
resolution service request of the changed Name Identifier to a
resolution server operated in Korea.
A user can additionally add country code after name together with
"/". For example, if a user types "sony/cn" on a web browser or
toolbar input window, a plug-in shall create a Name Identifier in
the form of  "urn:name:cn:sony" and send a resolution request to a
resolution server operated in China.  As shown in the first
example, if a user does not designate a service request country,
a resolution server of a service user shall be automatically used
for the resolution of a Name Identifier.
A resolution server operated by a Name identification Center of
each country shall process the resolution request of a Name
Identifier, create a HTML containing URL information requested by
a user and send it to a user.

Kyung Soo                                                       [Page 4]

Internet-Draft                                             November 2005

Rules for Lexical Equivalence:

The entire URN is case-insensitive.

Conformance with URN Syntax:

There are no additional characters reserved. The Name Identifier
syntax fully conforms to RFC2141 syntax rules.

Validation mechanism:

None specified

Scope:

Global

3.  Namespace Considerations

URN assignment procedures:

The assignment and use of identifiers is performed according to
the rules established by Eman GNS. It abides by the URN
requirements and syntax. Within a NAME namespace, delegates manage
subordinate namespaces and maintains the metadata of digital
contents.

URN resolution / delegation:

Resolution is controlled by Eman GNS and its delegates. The list
of NAME country codes is maintained by the Registration Management
Group, Eman GNS. Name Identification Center of each country
maintains registered identifiers.

Type of resources to be identified:

Types of resources to be identified include e-book, music, moving
picture, image, home page, blog page, etc.

Type of services to be supported:

Type of service to be supported include Content Search service
controlled web browser toolbar plug-in module in a user's
computer. Name Identification Service is available at any place
in the world once a user installs a plug-in.

Kyung Soo                                                       [Page 5]

Internet-Draft                                             November 2005

4.  Community Considerations

Open assignment and use of identifiers within the namespace:

The assignment and use of identifiers within the namespace are
open and the related rule is established by Eman GNS. Registration
agencies are evaluated and selected fairly and shall have the
responsibility for processing registrant's requests
for registering digital contents.

Open operation of resolution servers for the namespace (server):

Registration Management Group (RMG, Eman GNS) and registration
agencies shall operate resolution servers for NAME namespace and
subordinate namespaces(country code), respectively.

Creation of software that can meaningfully resolve and access
services for the namespace (client):

Digital content users can access to the resolution servers
to receive resolution results. The browser plug-in software is
developed and resolution servers are now in operation.

5.  IANA Considerations

This document includes a Name Identifier Namespace registration that
has been entered into the IANA registry for URN NIDs.

6.  Security Considerations

There are no additional security considerations beyond those normally
associated with the use and resolution of URNs in general.

7.  References

Normative References:
Moats, R., "URN Syntax", RFC 2141, May 1997.

Informative References:
Kyung Soo Ham, "Method for Providing Name Identifier Multiple
Resolution Service Using URN(Uniform Resource Name)
Technology", Patent Application Document, March 2004.

Kyung Soo                                                       [Page 6]

Internet-Draft                                             November 2005

8.  Acknowledgements

Author's Address:

Ham, Kyung Soo (CEO)
Eman GNS Inc.
#601 Dream Tower, 923-14 Mok-Dong, Yangcheon-Gu,
Seoul, Korea 158-050
E-Mail: [email-masked]

Full Copyright Statement

Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2005).

This document is subject to the rights, licenses and restrictions
contained in BCP 78, and except as set forth therein, the authors
retain all their rights.

This document and the information contained herein are provided on
an "AS IS" basis and THE CONTRIBUTOR, THE ORGANIZATION
HE/SHE REPRESENTS OR IS SPONSORED BY (IF ANY), THE
INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE INTERNET ENGINEERING
TASK FORCE DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY
WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE INFORMATION HEREIN
WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Acknowledgement

Funding for the RFC Editor function is currently provided by the
Internet Society.

---

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 12:50:46 -0500

As noted by the list moderator, a number of messages
were held up in the moderation queue until January 6, 2006 --
so we did not see your message until then.

For this request -- I am unable to find the document in the
IETF Internet-Draft repository.  Could you please provide
the exact pointer, or make sure to submit the document
there if you have not already done so.

Best regards,
Leslie.

함경수 wrote:
>    Please address the information to the IETF at [email-masked] 
> <mailto:[email-masked]>.
> 
> Kyung Soo                                                       [Page 1]
> 
>       E-Mail: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
> 
> 
> Kyung Soo                                                       [Page 2]
> 
>       E-Mail: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
> 
>    Full Copyright Statement
> 
> <http://www.empas.com> 	
> <http://ranking.empas.com/survey/survey_view.html?artsn=193002>
> <http://ranking.empas.com/survey/survey_view.html?artsn=193002>
> 
> 	<http://ranking.empas.com/survey/survey_view.html?artsn=193002>
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>