Subject: Application for a formal URN NID

From: John Wus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 07:44:15 -0400

Dear All, 

As per RFC 3406, I am requesting a two-week review for a formal URN namespace request.  I would like to request a URN Namespace for “Professional-Plug-in”.  I have attached an I-D application for our formal URN NID request.  This Internet Draft has been published and is available at: 

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ohtaka-urn-professional-plug-in-00.txt

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,
John Wus

-- 

+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+
|                                                           |
|   John Wus, PhD.                                          |           
|   Principal Member Engineering Staff                      |
|   Panasonic AVC Engineering Promotion Center of America   |
|   500 Dearborn Circle, Suite 100                          |
|   Mount Laurel, New Jersey 08054                          |
|   Phone: 856-222-2290 ext. 140                            |
|   Fax:   856-787-0918                                     |
|   email: [email-masked]                        |
|                                                           |
+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+ 

Internet Draft                                                  H.Ohtaka
Expires: November 2007                                            J. Wus
                                                             14 May 2007

     A Uniform Resource Name (URN) Namespace for Professional-Plug-in
              draft-ohtaka-urn-professional-plug-in-00.txt

Status of this Memo

   By submitting this Internet-Draft, each author represents that any
   applicable patent or other IPR claims of which he or she is aware
   have been or will be disclosed, and any of which he or she becomes
   aware will be disclosed, in accordance with Section 6 of BCP 79.

   Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
   Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
   other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
   Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

   The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/1id-abstracts.txt.

   The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

   This Internet-Draft will expire on November 14, 2007.

Copyright Notice

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2007).  All Rights Reserved.

Abstract

   This document describes a Uniform Resource Name (URN) namespace for
   naming persistent resources as eXtensible Markup Language (XML) 
   Schemas in Professional-Plug-in system.

Ohtaka, et al.             Expires November 14, 2007            [Page 1]

Internet-Draft      URN Namespace for Professional Plug-in      May 2007

Table of Contents 

   1. Introduction...................................................2 
   2. Namespace Definition Template..................................2 
      2.1. Namespace ID:.............................................2 
      2.2. Registration Information:.................................2 
      2.3. Declared registrant of the namespace:.....................2 
      2.4. Declaration of structure:.................................3 
      2.5. Relevant ancillary documentation:.........................3 
      2.6. Identifier uniqueness considerations:.....................3 
      2.7. Identifier persistence considerations:....................3 
      2.8. Process of identifier assignment:.........................3 
      2.9. Process for identifier resolution:........................3 
      2.10. Rules for Lexical Equivalence:...........................3 
      2.11. Conformance with URN Syntax:.............................4 
      2.12. Validation mechanism:....................................4 
      2.13. Scope....................................................4 
   3. Formal Syntax..................................................4 
   4. Security Considerations........................................4 
   5. Namespace Considerations.......................................4 
   6. Community Considerations.......................................5 
   7. IANA Considerations............................................5 
   8. Normative References...........................................5 
   9. Author's Addresses.............................................5 
  10. Copyright Statement............................................5 
  11. Intellectual Property..........................................5 
  12. Acknowledgment.................................................5 
   
1.  Introduction

   Professional-Plug-in is a system which defines a solid-state storage 
   media and a variety of multimedia contents stored on this storage media. 
   The Professional-Plug-in is applicable for content acquisition systems, 
   editing systems and servers as well as for transfer of content files. 
   In order to assure interoperability among different vendors, 
   specifications that define a video, audio essence and associated 
   metadata have been established. The metadata contains information about 
   the structure or parameters of the video, audio essences and also contains 
   additional information describing the essences. The metadata is 
   expressed with an XML specified by an XML schema. Therefore, 
   a Uniform Resource Name (URN) specified in this document is applied to 
   assign a persistent resource for the namespace to identify each XML schema. 

2.  Specification Template

   This namespace specification is for a formal namespace.

2.1 Namespace ID:

   "Professional-Plug-in"

2.2 Registration Information:

   Version: 1.0
   Date: 14 May 2007

2.3 Declared registrant of the namespace:

   Name:           Hideki Ohtaka
   Organization    Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd.
   Address:        2-15 Matsuba-cho, Kadoma City, Osaka 571-8503, Japan            
   Phone:          +81-6-6905-4666
   Email:          [email-masked]

Ohtaka, et al.             Expires November 14, 2007            [Page 2]

Internet-Draft      URN Namespace for Professional Plug-in      May 2007

2.4 Declaration of structure:

   URN assigned for Professional-Plug-in has the following structure.

   URN:schemas-Professional-Plug-in:NSS

   The NSS shall comply with the following ABNF specification.

   NSS             = SystemName ":" AssignedString ":" AssignedString ":" ----
   SystemName      = ALPHA / DIGIT / other
   AssignedString  = ALPHA / DIGIT / other
   other           = "-" / "_" / "."
   Note: Another character may not be the first character.
  
2.5 Relevant ancillary documentation:

   Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.0 (Third Edition), W3C Recommendation 04 
   February 2004

   Namespaces in XML, W3C Recommendation, 14,January 1999

   SMPTE RP 2002 Content Specification on Solid-State Media Card 
   - for DV/DV-based Essence : This document defines the XML schema specified 
   by the namespace using the requested NID. 

2.6 Identifier uniqueness considerations:

   Developers who wish to define a new system name under this proposed NID 
   for their applications must ask the URN administrator (Matsushita Electric) 
   to assign a system name as NSS. The URN administrator confirms that the new 
   system name is unique against existing system names, and then assigns and 
   registers the new system name as NSS.

2.7 Identifier persistence considerations:

   Persistence of identifiers is dependent upon the persistence of the system 
   name assignment by the URN administrator.

2.8 Process of identifier assignment:

   Request for the assignment of a new system name including objectives of 
   the request must be sent to the URN administrator and the URN administrator 
   assigns the new system name as NSS.

2.9 Process of identifier resolution:
   
   The URN administrator will maintain an index of assigned URNs
   That index will map URNs to XML schema specifications in the Web page.
  
2.10 Rules for Lexical Equivalence:
 
   The entire URN is case-insensitive.

Ohtaka, et al.             Expires November 14, 2007            [Page 3]

Internet-Draft      URN Namespace for Professional Plug-in      May 2007

2.11 Conformance with URN Syntax:

   No special considerations. 
   URNs in this namespace conform to RFC 2141.

2.12 Validation mechanism:

   None specified.

2.13 Scope:

   Global

   The following is an example of the URN.

3.  Examples

   URN:schemas-Professional-Plug-in:P2:ClipMetadata:v2.0

   System name     = P2: Specifies the system 
   Assigned string = ClipMetadata: Specifies the type of metadata
                                   ClipMetadata means the Metadata schema 
                                   related to a Clip  
   Assigned string = v2.0: Specifies the version of this schema 

4.  Namespace Considerations

4.1 URN assignment procedures:

   Existing URNs are intended to be assigned as identifiers for particular 
   applications or particular systems. The purpose of these URNs and its 
   assignment procedure is clearly defined in each RFC document. Meanwhile, 
   this requested URN is intended to be used for a namespace to identify an 
   XML schema in Professional-Plug-in system so the metadata specified with 
   an XML schema is closely associated with its individual system and 
   applications. The existing URNs, however, do not provide any alternative 
   namespaces which represent the metadata in the Professional-Plug-in system. 
   Therefore, a new URN assignment is required and individual URNs shall be 
   assigned through the process of development of each XML schema.  

4.2 URN resolution/delegation:

   The resolution and delegation shall be determined through the process of 
   development of an XML schema for metadata.

4.3 Type of resources to be identified:

   Types of resources to be identified include an XML schema for metadata.

5.  Community Considerations

5.1 Open assignment and use of identifiers within the namespace:

  Professional-Plug-in system can be applicable for content acquisition 
  systems, editing systems and so on. Therefore, any developers who wish to 
  define an XML schema depending on each application can apply for a URN 
  under the Professional-Plug-in namespace. The proposed URN shall be reviewed 
  among developers of the Professional-Plug-in system, and shall be assigned 
  and presented as a new URN under this namespace. 
      
Ohtaka, et al.             Expires November 14, 2007            [Page 4]

Internet-Draft      URN Namespace for Professional Plug-in      May 2007

6.  Security Considerations

   There are no additional security considerations other than those
   normally associated with the use and resolution of URNs in general.

7.  IANA Considerations

   The IANA has registered formal URN namespace XXXX, to 
   Professional-Plug-in within the IANA registry of URN NIDs.

8.  Normative References

   [RFC2141] Moats, R., "URN Syntax", RFC 2141, May 1997.

9.  Author's Addresses

   Hideki Ohtaka
   Matsushita Electcic Industrial Co., Ltd.
   2-15 Matsuba-cho, Kadoma City, Osaka 571-8503, Japan
   Phone:  +81-6-6905-4666
   Email:  [email-masked]

   John Wus
   Panasonic AVC Engineering Promotion Center of America
   5000 Dearborn Circle
   Suite 100
   Mount Laurel, New Jersey 08054 
   Email: [email-masked]

10.  Copyright Statement

   Copyright (C) The IETF Trust (2007). 

   This document is subject to the rights, licenses and restrictions 
   contained in BCP 78, and except as set forth therein, the authors
   retain all their rights.

   This document and the information contained herein are provided on an
   "AS IS" basis and THE CONTRIBUTOR, THE ORGANIZATION HE/SHE REPRESENTS
   OR IS SPONSORED BY (IF ANY), THE INTERNET SOCIETY, THE IETF TRUST AND
   THE INTERNET ENGINEERING TASK FORCE DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS
   OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF
   THE INFORMATION HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED
   WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

11. Intellectual Property

   The IETF takes no position regarding the validity or scope of any
   Intellectual Property Rights or other rights that might be claimed to
   pertain to the implementation or use of the technology described in
   this document or the extent to which any license under such rights
   might or might not be available; nor does it represent that it has
   made any independent effort to identify any such rights.  Information
   on the procedures with respect to rights in RFC documents can be
   found in BCP 78 and BCP 79.

   Copies of IPR disclosures made to the IETF Secretariat and any
   assurances of licenses to be made available, or the result of an
   attempt made to obtain a general license or permission for the use of
   such proprietary rights by implementers or users of this
   specification can be obtained from the IETF on-line IPR repository at
   http://www.ietf.org/ipr.

   The IETF invites any interested party to bring to its attention any
   copyrights, patents or patent applications, or other proprietary
   rights that may cover technology that may be required to implement
   this standard.  Please address the information to the IETF at
   [email-masked].

12. Acknowledgment 
   Funding for the RFC Editor function is provided by the IETF
   Administrative Support Activity (IASA).

Ohtaka, et al.             Expires November 14, 2007            [Page 5]

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 07:23:22 -0400

>    Note: Another character may not be the first character.
1. this limits the SystemName and AssignedString to be a single
character each, is this what you want?  That makes for a very small
number of potential URNs under this scheme.

2. what is meant by "----" at the end?  if the URN is to end with four
"-" characters then these should be enclosed in quotes.  (and why would
you want to do that?)

(and the example in section 3 doesn't match the above grammar)

---

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 09:28:01 -0700

Maybe nits:

Section 2.1 gives this as the requested Namespace ID:

"Professional-Plug-in"

But your example in Section 3 says:

Is it the intent to have "schemas-" present or not?

In general, this seems like a pretty long NID, with or without
the "schemas" prepended. 

Maybe not nits:

This seems to be related to the work of SMPTE.  Are you
aware of draft-edwards-urn-smpte-01.txt?  Is there a reason
that this would not fall under it, if the SMPTE NID is approved
(it is in Last Call now).

		regards,
			Ted

At 7:44 AM -0400 5/22/07, John Wus wrote:
>Content-Type: text/plain
>X-MIME-Autoconverted: from 8bit to quoted-printable by
>	atvl10.pav.research.panasonic.com id l4MBeIU5019114
>
>Dear All,
>
>As per RFC 3406, I am requesting a two-week review for a formal URN namespace request.  I would like to request a URN Namespace for "Professional-Plug-in".  I have attached an I-D application for our formal URN NID request.  This Internet Draft has been published and is available at:
>