IETF
alto
alto@jabber.ietf.org
Friday, March 15, 2013< ^ >
martin.thomson has set the subject to: ALTO WG http://tools.ietf.org/wg/alto/agenda
Room Configuration
Room Occupants

GMT+0
[03:24:11] dhruvdhody leaves the room
[06:38:32] dhruvdhody joins the room
[07:43:50] dhruvdhody leaves the room
[08:31:17] dhruvdhody joins the room
[08:36:23] dhruvdhody leaves the room
[08:39:02] dhruvdhody joins the room
[09:47:13] dhruvdhody leaves the room
[10:00:03] dhruvdhody joins the room
[10:00:10] dhruvdhody leaves the room
[12:48:26] Alessandro Amirante joins the room
[12:48:26] Simon Romano joins the room
[12:52:48] Cic Pernac joins the room
[12:53:02] bortzmeyer joins the room
[12:53:43] S.Kiesel joins the room
[12:55:44] John Leslie joins the room
[12:57:05] sk2 joins the room
[12:57:47] David Mandelberg joins the room
[12:58:19] S.Kiesel leaves the room
[12:59:03] S.Kiesel joins the room
[13:00:13] vijay.gurbani joins the room
[13:00:46] Yoshikazu GOTO joins the room
[13:02:04] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 1: ALTO WG
[13:02:34] <Alessandro Amirante> Current presenter: Chairs
[13:02:35] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 1: ALTO WG
[13:02:52] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 3: Agenda 9:00 9:05 9:35 9:45 9:55 10:05 Ad
[13:03:33] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 4: Accomplishments since Atlanta
[13:04:55] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 5: (Proposed) Protocol Extensions
[13:07:07] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 3: Agenda 9:00 9:05 9:35 9:45 9:55 10:05 Ad
[13:12:36] Luis M. Contreras joins the room
[13:12:40] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 5: (Proposed) Protocol Extensions
[13:12:59] <Alessandro Amirante> Presentation stopped
[13:13:16] S.Kiesel leaves the room
[13:13:21] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 1: ALTO Protocol
[13:13:28] <Alessandro Amirante> Current presenter: Richard Alimi
[13:13:31] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 1: ALTO Protocol
[13:13:46] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 2: Outline
[13:13:47] S.Kiesel joins the room
[13:14:32] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 3: Changes: -13 → -14
[13:16:21] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 4: Changes: -13 → -14
[13:17:08] <vijay.gurbani> @Alessandro, current presenter: Richard Yang (slight correction)
[13:17:29] <Alessandro Amirante> Current presenter: Richard Yang
[13:17:29] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 4: Changes: -13 → -14
[13:17:43] <Alessandro Amirante> woops :)
[13:18:37] <vijay.gurbani> No worries.  Thanks.
[13:19:30] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 5: Consensus Status on WG Discussions
[13:22:24] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 6: Proposed Change on Handling cost-mode an
[13:23:17] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 7: Proposed Change on Handling cost-mode an
[13:28:35] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 8: Proposed Change on Handling cost-mode an
[13:29:50] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 6: Proposed Change on Handling cost-mode an
[13:30:09] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 9: Handling TLS/SSL
[13:31:15] Richard Alimi joins the room
[13:31:40] <vijay.gurbani> Hello Richard :-)
[13:32:02] <Richard Alimi> One thing that we chatted about via email for cost-id was to have a lookup table inside of the IRD
[13:32:22] <vijay.gurbani> You want this comment on the mic?
[13:32:23] <Richard Alimi> so it would be an opaque identifier in the IRD which maps to (cost-type/cost-metric , cost-mode)
[13:32:30] <Richard Alimi> Sure that would be useful
[13:32:35] <vijay.gurbani> OK.
[13:32:44] <Richard Alimi> (sorry - took me a bit longer to join jabber room)
[13:32:46] <vijay.gurbani> As soon as this thread is done.
[13:32:51] <Richard Alimi> yeah sounds good to me
[13:33:09] <Richard Alimi> also, clarification on this:
[13:33:25] <Richard Alimi> .. and nevermind - he's talking about client authentication :)
[13:33:47] <Richard Alimi> My comment: client authentication is optional
[13:34:22] <vijay.gurbani> It is already optional in TLS, so no point us making it any more explicit, IMHO.
[13:34:52] <Richard Alimi> That'd be fine with me.
[13:34:57] Darren Loher joins the room
[13:35:06] <Richard Alimi> basic idea: don't make it difficult to create a public alto server
[13:35:17] <S.Kiesel> do we say unencrypted http is a MUST?
[13:36:26] <Richard Alimi> my personal opinion: allow unencrypted HTTP
[13:36:38] <Richard Alimi> but i dont feel strongly
[13:37:08] <S.Kiesel> but that would mean: MUST support https and MAY support http, isn't it?
[13:37:53] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 10: Discussion: Interpreting HTTP Status Cod
[13:38:05] <Richard Alimi> Thanks Vijay - I'll open  up a thread on that.
[13:38:35] <Richard Alimi> Sebastian - that would be okay with me.
[13:39:40] satoru.matsushima joins the room
[13:43:10] dhruvdhody joins the room
[13:43:27] <S.Kiesel> maybe a better solution would be to say that an implementation (i.e. a piece of software) MUST support http and SHOULD support http, and in a deployment scenario one SHOULD use https
[13:43:28] <Richard Alimi> Comment on this: REST-ful protocols are about following links.  ALTO is the encoding used for the bodies.
[13:44:15] Dhruv Dhody joins the room
[13:44:22] <Richard Alimi> I fear that moving these error codes into ALTO (e.g., just as HTTP 300 "Multiple Choices") is going back on the concensus we got when doing the REST-ful approach
[13:44:34] dhruvdhody leaves the room
[13:44:35] <vijay.gurbani> Sebastian: These are deployment issues.  No matter what sorts of MUSTs and SHOULDs we put in, if an operator does not want to use http (or https), they will not.  In the end, we just say that both are supported and ops choose whatever they want.
[13:44:50] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 11: Other Change (to be published)
[13:45:33] dhruvdhody joins the room
[13:45:51] <vijay.gurbani> Richard, Sebastian: If you want me to relay on the mic, please prefix with "relay".
[13:46:24] <Richard Alimi> okay:
[13:46:26] <Richard Alimi> relay:  REST-ful protocols are about following links. ALTO is the encoding used for the bodies.
[13:46:39] <Richard Alimi> relay: I fear that moving these error codes into ALTO (e.g., just as HTTP 300 "Multiple Choices") is going back on the concensus we got when doing the REST-ful approach
[13:46:51] <Richard Alimi> :)
[13:46:58] <vijay.gurbani> will do after this conversation.
[13:47:20] <Richard Alimi> thanks
[13:47:39] <Richard Alimi> Sounds like there will be a list discussion on this too, so further discussion there is fine with me
[13:49:16] <Richard Alimi> We could replicate these error codes in ALTO, but I think that the HTTP folks aren't going to like that
[13:49:30] <Richard Alimi> relay: We could replicate these error codes in ALTO, but I think that the HTTP folks aren't going to like that
[13:49:39] <vijay.gurbani> ok
[13:50:30] <Richard Alimi> relay: ... because it means that new HTTP status codes now need to be added to ALTO as well
[13:51:54] <Richard Alimi> relay: I think it hurts extensibiliy for underlying HTTP
[13:52:02] <Richard Alimi> relay: taking to list is fine
[13:53:37] Dhruv Dhody leaves the room
[13:54:58] Lorenzo Miniero joins the room
[13:58:12] <Alessandro Amirante> Presentation stopped
[13:58:47] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 2: Recap
[14:00:11] dhruv Dhody joins the room
[14:01:02] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 3: one architecture – two drafts
[14:02:19] <Richard Alimi> relay: for manual config input, why not also allow manual config input to directly put in the ALTO server's URI?
[14:02:41] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 4: draft-kist-alto-3pdisc-02
[14:03:49] <S.Kiesel> of course one could also give the full URI but this would not be discovery at all :)
[14:04:08] <S.Kiesel> the point in giving a domain name and asking for NAPTR is that we can get multiple replies
[14:04:22] <Richard Alimi> relay: okay - sounds good to me.  The slide gave me the impression that NAPTR was required.
[14:05:26] <Richard Alimi> Okay - thanks Sebastian :)
[14:05:47] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 5: IPv4 address IPv6 address | | V V Rev=d.
[14:06:19] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 6: draft-kist-alto-3pdisc-02
[14:06:57] jpc joins the room
[14:08:23] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 7: draft-kiesel-alto-3pdisc-impl-00
[14:09:17] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 8: Conclusion
[14:10:44] <Richard Alimi> +1 for adopting as WG item
[14:12:24] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 4: draft-kist-alto-3pdisc-02
[14:12:58] <S.Kiesel> relay:  [speaking as the main author of the alto requirements document]: this is the last missing piece for fulfilling all requirements we have agreed upon long time ago
[14:13:11] <vijay.gurbani> ok
[14:17:31] <Alessandro Amirante> Presentation stopped
[14:17:53] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 1: ALTO    
 Server    
 Discovery    
 Based
[14:18:01] <Alessandro Amirante> Current presenter: Reinaldo Penno
[14:18:02] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 1: ALTO    
 Server    
 Discovery    
 Based
[14:18:20] jpc leaves the room
[14:19:03] jpc joins the room
[14:19:10] jpc leaves the room
[14:19:11] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 2: Problem    
 Statement    
 
[14:19:13] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 3: Current    
 Proposed    
 Methods    
 and
[14:19:15] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 2: Problem    
 Statement    
 
[14:19:20] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 3: Current    
 Proposed    
 Methods    
 and
[14:22:01] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 4: Proposed    
 soluEon    
 
[14:23:12] heycengiz joins the room
[14:24:57] Cengiz Alaettinoglu joins the room
[14:30:46] Nagesh Javali joins the room
[14:33:58] Nagesh Javali leaves the room
[14:39:02] Agostino Savignano joins the room
[14:43:20] satoru.matsushima leaves the room
[14:43:33] Simon Romano leaves the room
[14:43:34] <dhruvdhody> Good Bye!
[14:43:51] Cic Pernac leaves the room
[14:44:07] heycengiz leaves the room
[14:44:38] Cengiz Alaettinoglu leaves the room
[14:44:53] <Yoshikazu GOTO> Bye
[14:44:53] vijay.gurbani leaves the room
[14:44:58] dhruv Dhody leaves the room
[14:44:58] <S.Kiesel> bye
[14:45:06] <Alessandro Amirante> By all
[14:45:17] John Leslie leaves the room
[14:45:17] S.Kiesel leaves the room
[14:45:17] Agostino Savignano leaves the room
[14:45:17] Yoshikazu GOTO leaves the room
[14:45:24] David Mandelberg leaves the room
[14:46:02] Alessandro Amirante leaves the room
[14:48:00] bortzmeyer leaves the room
[14:51:08] Richard Alimi leaves the room
[15:01:40] Lorenzo Miniero leaves the room
[15:02:50] Luis M. Contreras leaves the room
[15:11:40] Darren Loher leaves the room
[15:14:52] dhruvdhody leaves the room
[15:24:25] vijay.gurbani joins the room
[15:24:43] sk2 leaves the room
[15:26:34] dhruvdhody joins the room
[15:31:07] vijay.gurbani leaves the room
[15:36:06] dhruvdhody leaves the room
[15:41:49] vijay.gurbani joins the room
[15:46:19] vijay.gurbani leaves the room