IETF
dnssd@jabber.ietf.org
Friday, November 8, 2013< ^ >
Room Configuration
Room Occupants

GMT+0
[19:22:01] Olafur Gudmundsson joins the room
[19:22:09] Olafur Gudmundsson leaves the room
[19:24:30] SM joins the room
[19:24:43] SM leaves the room
[19:25:24] Guillaume Leclanche joins the room
[19:25:51] Simon Perreault joins the room
[19:26:00] yone joins the room
[19:26:12] Jinmei Tatuya joins the room
[19:27:08] Ole Troan joins the room
[19:28:58] vincent.levigneron joins the room
[19:29:12] Ning Kong joins the room
[19:29:50] <Ole Troan> No jabber scribe?
[19:30:01] <Simon Perreault> nothing to be scribben
[19:30:27] <Simon Perreault> everyone trying to make the projector work
[19:30:36] dnssd@jabber.ietf.org joins the room
[19:31:52] <Ole Troan> at least it sounds like you guys are having fun. ;-)
[19:32:08] ydoi joins the room
[19:33:47] <Simon Perreault> going powerpointless
[19:36:18] Peter Koch joins the room
[19:36:23] Peter Koch has set the subject to: DNSSD at IETF88
[19:36:32] <Peter Koch> network is back here in YVR
[19:37:01] <Peter Koch> tim chown at mic, presenting slide WG Goals
[19:37:05] doi joins the room
[19:37:39] <Peter Koch> slide 7 of -3
[19:38:15] ydoi leaves the room
[19:38:31] <Peter Koch> slide 9
[19:38:55] Jinmei Tatuya leaves the room
[19:39:16] <Peter Koch> is anyone of you 'remote'?
[19:39:34] <Peter Koch> slide 10
[19:40:31] <Peter Koch> next: Ralph Droms on TLD, slideset -1
[19:40:48] <Peter Koch> slides-88-dnssd-1.pdf, that is
[19:41:04] <Peter Koch> slide 1
[19:41:04] <dnssd@jabber.ietf.org> I am remote.
[19:41:40] Ted Lemon joins the room
[19:41:41] <Peter Koch> slide 2
[19:42:14] Jinmei Tatuya joins the room
[19:42:26] Doug Montgomery joins the room
[19:43:51] <Peter Koch> slide 3
[19:43:52] Dave Thaler joins the room
[19:44:08] <Peter Koch> as usual, for relaying question, prefix "mic:"
[19:44:19] <Peter Koch> Kerry Lynn at mic
[19:46:06] <Peter Koch> cheshireat mic
[19:47:59] Ted Lemon leaves the room
[19:48:32] <Peter Koch> mricharson at mic
[19:49:36] Peter Koch at mic
[19:49:44] Simon Perreault leaves the room
[19:50:01] Suzanne Woolf joins the room
[19:50:33] <Peter Koch> russ mundy at mic
[19:50:33] <Suzanne Woolf> curious why no one has mentioned RFC 6761
[19:50:38] Ted Lemon joins the room
[19:50:57] Doug Montgomery leaves the room
[19:51:08] <Peter Koch> .
[19:51:44] <Suzanne Woolf> there's a registry not controlled by ICANN for this
[19:51:45] <Peter Koch> @suz: because that went mostly unnoticed
[19:52:11] <Peter Koch> franisco arias at mic
[19:53:02] <Peter Koch> slide 4
[19:53:29] <Suzanne Woolf> Oh good, RFC 6761 is here after all :)
[19:53:40] Doug Montgomery joins the room
[19:54:28] Lars joins the room
[19:54:51] <Lars> so maybe i'm naive, but what's wrong with .dnssd
[19:55:06] <Ted Lemon> hard to pronounce.
[19:55:09] <Ted Lemon> :)
[19:55:18] <Lars> dinnisdee
[19:55:32] <Ted Lemon> dinnississdee
[19:55:36] <Peter Koch> what's wrong with 0aeda06052f5740e06d6087789676b4f.arpa
[19:55:53] <Lars> rolls right off the tongue
[19:55:54] <Ted Lemon> Well, it's easy to remember and type, but some participants may find it offensive.
[19:56:25] <Peter Koch> olaf at mic
[19:56:57] <Peter Koch> marc blanchet at mic
[19:57:58] resnick joins the room
[19:58:16] <Peter Koch> daniel migault
[19:59:03] <Peter Koch> geoff huston
[19:59:43] <resnick> :-/ Not sure about what Marc said. I wouldn't want the WG to do a lot of development that depends on a TLD and *then* find out that getting a TLD would be unpleasant.
[19:59:53] <Peter Koch> dave thaler
[19:59:56] Andrew Yourtchenko joins the room
[20:01:00] <resnick> I think we *should* decide what's needed and determine if it's a TLD before moving forward with other stuff.
[20:01:01] <Andrew Yourtchenko> .☺ is not english and looks friendly
[20:01:07] <Ted Lemon> heh
[20:02:15] <Peter Koch> cheshire at mic
[20:02:33] <Peter Koch> now dave thaler again
[20:03:44] <Peter Koch> that was kerry lynn, now dave
[20:04:38] <Peter Koch> ralph from stage
[20:04:48] marc.blanchet.qc joins the room
[20:06:01] <Peter Koch> now: requirements draft
[20:06:37] <Peter Koch> draft-lynn-dnssd-requirements-00.txt, slide deck -0, slide 1 ... 2, Kerry Lynn presenting
[20:07:20] <Dave Thaler> @andrew: yes and it's far more culture independent than any English label :)
[20:07:54] tonyhain joins the room
[20:07:59] <tonyhain> can't hear
[20:08:15] <Peter Koch> mic adjusted, better?
[20:08:30] <tonyhain> not much
[20:08:38] Tim Wicinski joins the room
[20:08:43] <Peter Koch> slide 3
[20:08:47] sara110 joins the room
[20:08:55] Doug Montgomery leaves the room
[20:09:01] <Andrew Yourtchenko> @Dave: OTOH, also the UI could hide it (like it does with .local frequently), so it is mostly a convention, seems to me.
[20:09:07] sara110 leaves the room
[20:09:08] Doug Montgomery joins the room
[20:09:19] Andrew Sullivan joins the room
[20:09:33] <Peter Koch> slide 4
[20:09:44] sara110 joins the room
[20:09:51] <Dave Thaler> that's my opinion yes (human readable is not important... human typeable *is* important IMO, which ☺ is less so than an English label)
[20:10:34] <Andrew Sullivan> but depending on who you are, a string of latin characters might be much less typable than a string of arabic characters
[20:10:44] <Peter Koch> slide 5
[20:11:37] sara110 leaves the room
[20:11:49] sara110 joins the room
[20:12:08] <Peter Koch> slide 6
[20:13:42] <dnssd@jabber.ietf.org> it is still too hard to hear.
[20:14:06] <Peter Koch> tnx, relayed
[20:14:11] <Peter Koch> slide 7
[20:14:17] cgriffiths joins the room
[20:14:47] <resnick> I think that's the best we're going to do.
[20:15:59] <Peter Koch> slide 8, Stuart Cheshire presenting
[20:16:15] <Peter Koch> jen Linkova
[20:16:48] <Peter Koch> stuart responding
[20:17:02] <Peter Koch> dave thaler at mic
[20:17:08] sara110 leaves the room
[20:17:20] sara110 joins the room
[20:17:37] sara110 leaves the room
[20:17:46] <Peter Koch> samita? at mic
[20:18:03] h.rafiee joins the room
[20:18:05] <Dave Thaler> yes samita chakrabarti (sp?)
[20:18:07] <resnick> Samita Chakrabarti
[20:19:25] <Peter Koch> dave thaler at mic
[20:19:51] Ning Kong leaves the room
[20:19:52] Hyong Jong Paik joins the room
[20:20:01] <Peter Koch> stuart now dealing with slide 9
[20:20:40] <Peter Koch> req 1, slide 10
[20:21:16] <Peter Koch> req 2, slide 11
[20:22:32] <Peter Koch> req 3, slide 12
[20:22:41] Doug Montgomery leaves the room
[20:23:30] <Peter Koch> pete resnick at mix soon
[20:23:36] <Peter Koch> s/mix/mic
[20:24:21] Hyong Jong Paik leaves the room
[20:24:28] <Ole Troan> scope isn't really configured though… isn't it chosen?
[20:24:35] <Ole Troan> for discovery I mean
[20:24:37] Doug Montgomery joins the room
[20:24:41] <Peter Koch> want relayed?
[20:25:07] <Ole Troan> just a minor point, but if anyone on jabber has opinions we could find consensus here. ;-)
[20:25:37] josephyee joins the room
[20:25:43] <h.rafiee> They will discuss about security later I guess
[20:25:46] <Peter Koch> req 4, slide 13
[20:25:59] <Peter Koch> req 5, slide 14
[20:26:06] Hyong Jong Paik joins the room
[20:26:27] Hyong Jong Paik leaves the room
[20:26:34] <Peter Koch> req 6, slide 15
[20:26:42] josephyee leaves the room
[20:27:20] <resnick> ichiroumakino: What is the distinction between "configured" and "chosen"? If you want to "choose" something, don't you need to configure it? Maybe just a vocabulary issue.
[20:27:23] <Peter Koch> dave thaler at mic
[20:27:56] <Peter Koch> req 7, slide 16
[20:28:19] <Peter Koch> req 8, slide 17, final slide
[20:28:29] <marc.blanchet.qc> could anyone repeat by writing was Dave just said. I did not hear it well. thanks.
[20:28:44] <Peter Koch> dave is here ;-)
[20:28:48] <Ole Troan> in this requirements, does the term "discovery" also include service advertisement?
[20:28:55] <Peter Koch> dave now at mic
[20:28:58] <marc.blanchet.qc> ah
[20:28:59] <marc.blanchet.qc> thanks
[20:30:13] <Peter Koch> tim from stage
[20:30:21] <Peter Koch> kerry at mic
[20:30:42] h.rafiee leaves the room
[20:30:55] doug.otis joins the room
[20:31:15] <Peter Koch> now dave
[20:31:36] <Peter Koch> now andrew sullivan on stage
[20:31:37] Andrew Sullivan leaves the room
[20:32:15] <Peter Koch> http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/88/slides/slides-88-dnssd-5.pdf
[20:32:15] <resnick> Dave: Are you saying that this might *only* accommodate live things, or it must accommodate an indication of liveness?
[20:32:22] Guillaume Leclanche leaves the room
[20:32:41] Lars leaves the room
[20:32:47] <Peter Koch> sldie 2
[20:33:12] Doug Montgomery leaves the room
[20:33:50] doug.otis leaves the room
[20:33:58] <Peter Koch> slide 3, examples
[20:34:21] <Peter Koch> slide 4
[20:34:53] <Peter Koch> slide 5
[20:34:55] hosnieh joins the room
[20:35:08] Tim Wicinski leaves the room: Meeting
[20:35:17] Tim Wicinski joins the room
[20:35:33] <Peter Koch> slide 6 and done
[20:35:41] Guillaume Leclanche joins the room
[20:35:43] <Peter Koch> stuart cheshire at mic
[20:36:09] Doug Montgomery joins the room
[20:42:21] <Peter Koch> marc blanchet
[20:44:06] <Peter Koch> keith moore at mic
[20:45:25] <Peter Koch> ralph from stage
[20:45:28] <Peter Koch> keith again
[20:50:29] <Peter Koch> andre responding to stuart cheshire
[20:50:42] Guillaume Leclanche leaves the room
[20:51:11] <Peter Koch> oops, Andrew, of course
[20:51:24] <Peter Koch> keith moore at mic
[20:51:59] <Peter Koch> Tim from stage
[20:52:20] Tim Wicinski leaves the room: Meeting
[20:52:24] doi leaves the room
[20:52:41] <Peter Koch> andrew at mic
[20:53:06] Andrew Sullivan joins the room
[20:53:48] <Peter Koch> next topic: architecture, by Ralph
[20:54:07] <Peter Koch> slide deck -2
[20:54:18] <Peter Koch> slide 1, title, now slide 2
[20:55:18] <Dave Thaler> @resnick (just saw your question earlier): I am saying the requirements should define what the liveness requirement/expectation is.  For example, if you can only discover things that hve been on the network for 30 days or more, would that fail the requirements?  it would probably fail user expectation.
[20:56:00] <Peter Koch> slide 3
[20:56:42] <Dave Thaler> similarly, if I discover something, is there some expectation that it was actually around recently?  if so, how recently is the expectation?
[20:57:42] <resnick> So you are leaving them as open questions. That's fine.
[20:57:42] <Dave Thaler> (draft-sekar-dns-llq is an example of something in the solution space for that type of requirement)
[20:57:52] <Dave Thaler> yes
[20:58:19] <Peter Koch> slide 4
[20:58:32] <Dave Thaler> I think there are definitely requirements, we just have to agree on what they actually are and how they're worded
[20:59:46] <Peter Koch> slide 5
[21:00:22] <Peter Koch> slide 6 - discussion
[21:00:33] <Peter Koch> dave thaler at mic
[21:00:41] <Peter Koch> on slide 5
[21:01:38] <Peter Koch> kerry lynn at mic
[21:01:59] <Peter Koch> dave vs kerry
[21:02:20] cabo joins the room
[21:02:40] <Peter Koch> kerry on slide 4
[21:05:50] <Peter Koch> Tim asks for happiness indication
[21:06:15] Jinmei Tatuya leaves the room
[21:06:36] <Peter Koch> Dave Thaler at mic
[21:06:37] Andrew Sullivan leaves the room
[21:06:56] <Peter Koch> Andrew at mic
[21:08:44] <Peter Koch> erik nordmark
[21:10:07] <Peter Koch> tim from stage
[21:10:30] <Peter Koch> burt kaliski at mic
[21:12:11] <Peter Koch> stuart responds
[21:12:34] <Peter Koch> sebastian castro
[21:13:11] <Peter Koch> keith moore
[21:13:25] <Peter Koch> klensin on mic
[21:13:57] <Peter Koch> stuart cheshire at mic
[21:16:05] <Peter Koch> suzanne woolf at mic
[21:16:26] <Peter Koch> next topic: doc editors
[21:16:57] <Peter Koch> Ralph from stage
[21:17:07] hosnieh leaves the room
[21:17:16] Olafur Gudmundsson joins the room
[21:17:39] Tim Wicinski joins the room
[21:18:10] vincent.levigneron leaves the room
[21:18:37] <Peter Koch> doug otis volunteers
[21:19:08] <Peter Koch> adopting reqs draft for wg?
[21:19:40] <Peter Koch> should adopt? - hum
[21:19:49] <Peter Koch> not? - hum
[21:20:05] <Peter Koch> aob?
[21:20:12] <Peter Koch> doug otis at mic
[21:20:24] marc.blanchet.qc leaves the room
[21:20:24] <resnick> I'm always in favor of just asking for the negatives, but it came out clear.
[21:22:04] yone leaves the room
[21:22:17] <Peter Koch> meeting closed!
[21:22:17] Suzanne Woolf leaves the room
[21:22:27] Ted Lemon leaves the room
[21:22:32] tonyhain leaves the room
[21:22:32] Peter Koch leaves the room
[21:22:39] cabo leaves the room
[21:22:39] Olafur Gudmundsson leaves the room
[21:22:56] resnick leaves the room
[21:24:11] Andrew Yourtchenko leaves the room
[21:24:27] Ole Troan leaves the room
[21:24:29] Ole Troan joins the room
[21:24:57] cabo joins the room
[21:25:11] Tim Wicinski leaves the room
[21:28:34] Andrew Yourtchenko joins the room
[21:32:03] Andrew Yourtchenko leaves the room
[21:34:16] cgriffiths leaves the room
[21:34:40] Doug Montgomery leaves the room
[21:35:33] Ted Lemon joins the room
[21:37:09] Dave Thaler leaves the room
[21:40:06] Andrew Sullivan joins the room
[21:40:45] Andrew Sullivan leaves the room
[21:53:29] Doug Montgomery joins the room
[21:53:30] Ole Troan leaves the room
[21:54:09] cabo leaves the room
[21:55:28] Ole Troan joins the room
[22:01:03] marc.blanchet.qc joins the room
[22:25:52] dnssd@jabber.ietf.org joins the room
[22:26:10] dnssd@jabber.ietf.org leaves the room
[22:28:38] dnssd@jabber.ietf.org joins the room
[22:34:47] Ole Troan leaves the room
[22:38:39] Doug Montgomery leaves the room
[22:41:40] dnssd@jabber.ietf.org leaves the room
[22:43:34] Olafur Gudmundsson joins the room
[22:43:43] Olafur Gudmundsson leaves the room
[22:44:24] Ted Lemon joins the room
[22:44:37] Ted Lemon leaves the room
[22:49:49] vincent.levigneron joins the room
[23:04:03] Ted Lemon leaves the room
[23:05:49] Suzanne Woolf joins the room
[23:08:13] Suzanne Woolf leaves the room
[23:14:11] Ted Lemon joins the room
[23:16:09] vincent.levigneron leaves the room
[23:19:16] Ole Troan joins the room
[23:25:06] Ole Troan leaves the room
[23:34:42] Ole Troan joins the room
[23:37:01] Ole Troan leaves the room
[23:39:24] Doug Montgomery joins the room
[23:41:07] Doug Montgomery leaves the room
[23:41:19] Ted Lemon leaves the room
[23:41:40] Ole Troan joins the room
[23:42:26] Ole Troan leaves the room
[23:44:03] Ole Troan joins the room
[23:45:22] Ole Troan leaves the room
[23:45:24] Ole Troan joins the room
[23:56:35] marc.blanchet.qc leaves the room
[23:57:14] Andrew Yourtchenko joins the room
Powered by ejabberd Powered by Erlang Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS!