IETF
DNSSD
dnssd@jabber.ietf.org
Wednesday, July 20, 2016< ^ >
timc has set the subject to: DNSSD WG at IETF95
Room Configuration
Room Occupants

GMT+0
[09:47:37] mswimmer joins the room
[10:07:05] mswimmer leaves the room
[10:07:59] mswimmer joins the room
[10:25:28] mswimmer leaves the room
[11:22:50] Peter van Dijk (PowerDNS) joins the room
[11:37:59] Meetecho joins the room
[11:51:45] mswimmer joins the room
[11:53:28] Peter van Dijk (PowerDNS) leaves the room
[11:53:36] Toke Høiland-Jørgensen joins the room
[11:56:53] jj ll joins the room
[11:58:05] Jan Komissar joins the room
[12:01:52] Peter van Dijk (PowerDNS) joins the room
[12:03:40] Scott Morizot joins the room
[12:04:36] Suzanne (scribe) joins the room
[12:05:29] tjw.ietf joins the room
[12:05:29] Darshak Thakore joins the room
[12:06:44] <Suzanne (scribe)> chairs' slides: https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/96/slides/slides-96-dnssd-1.pdf
[12:06:57] <Suzanne (scribe)> we're on 6, "Goals"
[12:07:24] <tjw.ietf> Etherpad for those keeping track at home:  http://etherpad.tools.ietf.org:9000/p/notes-ietf-96-dnssd?useMonospaceFont=true
[12:08:01] Darshak Thakore leaves the room
[12:08:56] <Suzanne (scribe)> Kerry Lynn at the mic
[12:09:11] <Suzanne (scribe)> q: continuing discussion of rechartering?
[12:09:25] Francisco Arias joins the room
[12:09:39] <Suzanne (scribe)> Tim: time at the end for next steps; dns-push has a plan and hybrid-proxy will go ahead soon
[12:10:23] <Suzanne (scribe)> Ted Lemon at the mic
[12:11:14] <Suzanne (scribe)> slide 9: DNS Push
[12:11:37] <Suzanne (scribe)> switch preso to https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/96/slides/slides-96-dnssd-0.pdf
[12:12:05] <Suzanne (scribe)> slide 1
[12:12:54] Shinta Sato joins the room
[12:13:03] <Suzanne (scribe)> slide 2
[12:13:18] <Suzanne (scribe)> slide 3
[12:13:43] <Suzanne (scribe)> if you have something for the mic, please put MIC: at the beginning of the line, thx
[12:13:54] <Suzanne (scribe)> slide 4
[12:15:24] <Suzanne (scribe)> slide 5
[12:16:20] <Suzanne (scribe)> Stuart Cheshire at the mic
[12:17:07] John Klensin joins the room
[12:17:34] <Suzanne (scribe)> Not expecting the semantics to change, syntax refined. Planning to update on the flight home. Session signaling updated next, then update push to use updated session signaling syntax.
[12:17:54] <Suzanne (scribe)> DNSOP CfA after that (Tim W as DNSOP co-chair)
[12:18:34] John Klensin leaves the room
[12:18:36] John Klensin joins the room
[12:20:30] <Suzanne (scribe)> not seeing Ted's slides in the meeting materials tracker, sorry
[12:21:10] <Suzanne (scribe)> mDNS/DNSSD hybrid overview
[12:24:23] <Suzanne (scribe)> aha, there they are: https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/96/slides/slides-96-dnssd-4.pdf
[12:24:46] <Suzanne (scribe)> slide 3
[12:27:02] <Suzanne (scribe)> slide 4
[12:27:10] <Suzanne (scribe)> slide 5
[12:28:56] <Suzanne (scribe)> slide 6
[12:29:11] <Suzanne (scribe)> To Pusateri at the mmic
[12:29:18] <Suzanne (scribe)> Tom Pusateri, sorry
[12:29:43] <Suzanne (scribe)> Q: You're objecting to ugly host names? A: No, objecting to exposing network topology
[12:29:46] Aaron Falk joins the room
[12:31:13] <Suzanne (scribe)> some discussion of where names will be visible to users
[12:31:29] <Suzanne (scribe)> Ralph Droms at the mic (chair hat off)
[12:31:46] <Suzanne (scribe)> differing definitions of what network topology is "exposed" and to whom
[12:33:38] <Suzanne (scribe)> conversation: users and hybrid-proxy deployment
[12:34:36] <Suzanne (scribe)> what should the names look like? who will see them?
[12:35:28] <Suzanne (scribe)> Ray Bellis at the mic
[12:35:47] jj ll leaves the room
[12:35:52] jj ll joins the room
[12:36:42] <Suzanne (scribe)> Tim Chown: hearing tht we're trying to capture requirements
[12:37:36] <Suzanne (scribe)> Stuart Cheshire at the mic (conversation with Ray)
[12:38:01] <Suzanne (scribe)> Stuart again
[12:38:20] <Suzanne (scribe)> Hybrid-proxy document is a building block for larger solutions, this needs to be added to the draft
[12:38:38] <Suzanne (scribe)> we have a gap— no bcp or guide to building with these blocks
[12:38:49] <Suzanne (scribe)> solution finally should hide the names
[12:43:21] <Suzanne (scribe)> Karry Lynn at the mic
[12:43:50] <Suzanne (scribe)> would have liked to have this draft earlier in the requirements phase
[12:44:29] Aaron Falk leaves the room
[12:44:32] <Suzanne (scribe)> disambiguation of names?
[12:44:49] Aaron Falk joins the room
[12:45:03] Shinta Sato leaves the room
[12:46:35] <John Klensin> That implies that, once a name is assigned to an object, the name is reserved to it forever -- the network can't tell "retired or trashed" from "not connected today".  And deveices don't necessarily have UIs.
[12:46:35] <Suzanne (scribe)> Stuart Cheshire at the mic
[12:48:48] <John Klensin> Static and unique names, temporary, per-ueer, aliases?  Been there, called them MAC addresses.  The community decided they were a privacy problem.
[12:48:57] Barbara Stark joins the room
[12:50:55] <Barbara Stark> In my experience with "friendly names", I like to allow devices that already have mechanisms for acquiring friendly names to be able to use those mechanisms. PCs have ways to enter PC names. UPnP supports a way for UPnP devices. Others allow entry through a UI. I'm not convinced we need a standard.
[12:51:25] Aaron Falk leaves the room
[12:52:29] <Suzanne (scribe)> Ralph presenting https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/96/slides/slides-96-dnssd-3.pdf
[12:53:22] <Suzanne (scribe)> slide 2
[12:57:10] <Suzanne (scribe)> slide 3
[12:58:28] <Suzanne (scribe)> slide 4
[12:59:34] <Suzanne (scribe)> Stuart Cheshire at the mic
[13:00:09] <Suzanne (scribe)> clarifying that this isn't a design or a hypothetical, it's what we do today
[13:02:08] <Suzanne (scribe)> Ralph: intending to figure out where to start on a BCP
[13:05:09] <Suzanne (scribe)> John Klensin did you have anything for the mic?
[13:05:43] <Suzanne (scribe)> (can't see current speaker's name, sorry)
[13:06:00] <Suzanne (scribe)> ah, OK John I see you on meetecho
[13:06:23] <Suzanne (scribe)> Tom Pusateri at the mic
[13:06:29] Simon Pietro Romano joins the room
[13:10:13] jj ll_7974 joins the room
[13:11:25] <Suzanne (scribe)> Christian presenting: https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/96/slides/slides-96-dnssd-2.pdf
[13:11:31] <Suzanne (scribe)> slide 2
[13:11:46] <tjw.ietf> Daniel Kaiser presenting
[13:13:49] Jan Komissar leaves the room
[13:13:49] <Suzanne (scribe)> (sorry Daniel!)
[13:13:57] <Suzanne (scribe)> slide 6
[13:14:31] <Suzanne (scribe)> ("two stage approach" is the 6th slide, although appears to have a different number in the corner. We carry on.)
[13:14:47] <Suzanne (scribe)> slide 7 ("pairing")
[13:17:00] <Suzanne (scribe)> slide 8
[13:17:02] <Suzanne (scribe)> slide 9
[13:18:05] <Suzanne (scribe)> slide 10
[13:18:10] <Suzanne (scribe)> Ted Lemon at the mic
[13:19:42] <Suzanne (scribe)> Christian Huitema at the mic
[13:21:44] <Suzanne (scribe)> Stuart Cheshire at the mic
[13:22:35] <Suzanne (scribe)> Dave Thaler speaking
[13:23:00] <Suzanne (scribe)> Terry Manderson, confused AD
[13:24:21] <Suzanne (scribe)> Ted Lemon speaking
[13:24:33] <Suzanne (scribe)> Tim: who's read the draft? smallish number of hands
[13:25:11] <Suzanne (scribe)> quasi-poll for adoption, seems positive
[13:26:45] <Suzanne (scribe)> wrapping up: next steps
[13:27:12] <Suzanne (scribe)> back to chairs' slides:
[13:27:51] <Suzanne (scribe)> https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/96/slides/slides-96-dnssd-1.pdf slide 13
[13:29:02] <Suzanne (scribe)> start rechartering discussion on the list
[13:29:10] <Suzanne (scribe)> Tim reads  back actions arising from the meeting
[13:30:00] Barbara Stark leaves the room
[13:31:34] Peter van Dijk (PowerDNS) leaves the room
[13:31:35] mswimmer leaves the room
[13:32:06] Suzanne (scribe) leaves the room
[13:32:17] Meetecho leaves the room
[13:32:40] Simon Pietro Romano leaves the room
[13:32:40] jj ll_7974 leaves the room
[13:32:40] Scott Morizot leaves the room
[13:37:08] tjw.ietf leaves the room
[13:37:45] Suzanne (scribe) joins the room
[13:38:10] Francisco Arias leaves the room
[13:38:10] John Klensin leaves the room
[13:40:25] Aaron Falk joins the room
[13:46:06] Suzanne (scribe) leaves the room
[13:50:50] Toke Høiland-Jørgensen leaves the room
[14:01:15] Aaron Falk leaves the room
[14:49:38] Suzanne (scribe) joins the room
[14:59:28] Aaron Falk joins the room
[15:00:08] Aaron Falk leaves the room
[15:20:45] tjw.ietf joins the room
[15:24:55] tjw.ietf leaves the room
[15:25:06] Suzanne (scribe) leaves the room
[15:29:21] tjw.ietf joins the room
[15:31:50] Aaron Falk joins the room
[15:36:03] Shinta Sato joins the room
[15:37:11] Shinta Sato leaves the room
[15:38:04] Aaron Falk leaves the room
[15:47:34] tjw.ietf leaves the room
[15:51:52] Suzanne (scribe) joins the room
[15:56:55] Suzanne (scribe) leaves the room
[16:02:04] rdroms joins the room
[16:05:24] rdroms leaves the room
[17:57:49] tjw.ietf joins the room
[18:18:43] tjw.ietf leaves the room
[18:29:21] tjw.ietf joins the room
[19:00:17] tjw.ietf leaves the room
Powered by ejabberd - robust, scalable and extensible XMPP server Powered by Erlang Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS!