IETF
intarea
intarea@jabber.ietf.org
Friday, August 2, 2013< ^ >
marka has set the subject to: INTAREA: Where to Go for Discussion
Room Configuration
Room Occupants

GMT+0
[09:03:02] Juan-Pedro Cerezo Martin joins the room
[09:03:06] Juan-Pedro Cerezo Martin leaves the room
[09:05:11] Juan-Pedro Cerezo Martin joins the room
[09:05:15] Juan-Pedro Cerezo Martin leaves the room
[09:07:50] Juan-Pedro Cerezo Martin joins the room
[09:07:56] Juan-Pedro Cerezo Martin leaves the room
[09:20:29] Juan-Pedro Cerezo Martin joins the room
[09:20:34] Juan-Pedro Cerezo Martin leaves the room
[09:22:20] Juan-Pedro Cerezo Martin joins the room
[09:23:00] Juan-Pedro Cerezo Martin leaves the room
[09:24:16] Juan-Pedro Cerezo Martin joins the room
[09:24:20] Juan-Pedro Cerezo Martin leaves the room
[09:24:20] Wes George joins the room
[09:24:50] Ted Lemon joins the room
[09:24:58] Jason Weil joins the room
[09:25:03] Dave Thaler joins the room
[09:25:59] <Wes George> reviewingg chair slides: http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/87/slides/slides-87-intarea-2.pdf
[09:26:21] Scott Brim joins the room
[09:26:35] <Scott Brim> is there anyone in here that does NOT have audio?
[09:27:02] <Wes George> brian reviewing http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/87/slides/slides-87-intarea-7.pdf
[09:27:06] <Wes George> actually, everyone in chat is local
[09:27:12] Juan-Pedro Cerezo Martin joins the room
[09:29:19] <Wes George> Carlos Pignataro : http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/87/slides/slides-87-intarea-3.pdf
[09:30:24] <Wes George> slide 2
[09:30:51] <Wes George> slide 3
[09:32:11] bashi.rururu joins the room
[09:32:22] <Scott Brim> New people: do you need detailed notes?  do you have audio?
[09:32:43] <Wes George> slide 4
[09:33:17] <Wes George> slide document status
[09:33:21] bashi.rururu leaves the room
[09:33:39] <Juan-Pedro Cerezo Martin> audio OK
[09:34:26] <Wes George> lars eggert at mic
[09:34:50] <Wes George> ron bonica - 3168, 6040
[09:35:21] Lars joins the room
[09:35:30] <Wes George> dave thaler, david black will review
[09:35:39] miyahiro.dazu joins the room
[09:35:53] <Lars> rfc3168 has the basic text, and david pointed to rfc6040
[09:36:16] <Dave Thaler> I raised my hand since either I will review or I will get Stephen Bensley to review or both of us will.
[09:36:17] <Wes George> david black - slides aren't clear, draft is. not trying to detect, but here are some methods
[09:36:54] cabo joins the room
[09:37:31] <Wes George> toerless eckert presenting http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/87/slides/slides-87-intarea-5.pdf
[09:38:19] <Scott Brim> Dave: got you and David Black in the notes.  
[09:39:10] <cabo> Nice demo why the chair should project the slides.
[09:39:24] <Dave Thaler> :)
[09:41:07] <Wes George> slide 3
[09:42:28] <Wes George> slide 4
[09:45:52] <Wes George> slide 5
[09:46:03] <Scott Brim> cabo: at least he rebooted off an SSD
[09:48:08] <Scott Brim> help I missed that.  The weakest link is ... ?
[09:48:18] <Ted Lemon> deep packet inspection
[09:48:58] <Wes George> slide "goal
[09:49:33] <Wes George> slide 7
[09:50:44] <Wes George> slide 8
[09:53:19] erik joins the room
[09:53:27] <Wes George> slide 9
[09:54:35] <Scott Brim> erik, yell if you want detail
[09:56:29] Carsten Schmoll joins the room
[09:56:42] Carsten Schmoll leaves the room
[09:56:49] <Lars> my head is about to explode. or implode.
[09:56:57] <Wes George> slide 10
[09:57:05] Carsten Schmoll joins the room
[09:57:38] <Wes George> slide 11
[09:57:45] <Wes George> slide 12
[09:58:02] <Wes George> slide 13
[09:58:14] <Wes George> slide 14/15
[09:58:23] <Wes George> david black
[09:58:33] <Wes George> more about how you're going to use rsvp
[09:58:46] <Wes George> hopbyhop, assuming routers maintaining soft-state
[09:58:48] <Wes George> are you planning that?
[09:59:04] <Wes George> a: we've implemented in rsvp - new policy opject in tsv draft
[09:59:33] <Wes George> david - are you anticipating a deployment where every router speaks rsvp, or something OTT where a lot of things ignore
[09:59:58] <Wes George> david - start thinking about this rather than saying "we could do anyhthing"
[10:00:06] <Wes George> what's the right answer and why
[10:00:36] <Wes George> a: in enterprise rsvp is straightfoward, maybe not for rsvp
[10:00:46] <Wes George> david - that's good to include the difference in scope
[10:01:16] <Wes George> 4594 tells you what you should think about signaling - svc classes, review that and take into account
[10:01:24] <Wes George> let's get to one svc class model
[10:02:17] <Wes George> if you get to the point of needing to signal something lower level don't signal dscp unless you have have a low-level proto that is going hop-by-hop
[10:02:28] <Wes George> can't make that assumption
[10:04:13] <Wes George> david - if you start by thinking you need to signal bw, you will arrive after discovering how network gear works, at tspec from rsvp
[10:04:24] <Wes George> apps don't like using tspec
[10:04:37] <Wes George> might need to define defaults for tspecs so that they don't have to understand
[10:05:07] <Wes George> start top down
[10:05:28] <Wes George> tspec was done right in intserv - reflects what switches and routers do/need to understand
[10:05:51] <Wes George> lars eggert- head asplode
[10:05:54] <Wes George> many bad ideas
[10:06:05] <Wes George> where is the internet in this
[10:10:18] <Wes George> linda -
[10:10:28] <Wes George> why can't you use priority to differentiate
[10:12:29] miyahiro.dazu leaves the room
[10:15:29] <Scott Brim> his "metadata" is her "control signaling".  
[10:16:40] <Lars> can i get a hum on taking this work to the itu-t?
[10:16:57] <Scott Brim> first answer Mike's question - there's a problem, how would you solve it?
[10:17:18] <Scott Brim> and you knwo if you give it to ITU-T you'll regret it two years from now when they say you gave them a mandate to fix IETF signaling
[10:18:54] <Scott Brim> aha -> ICCRG
[10:19:26] <Scott Brim> Use the northbound Openflow API
[10:21:11] <Wes George> no openflow.
[10:21:23] <Scott Brim> looking for a home
[10:21:44] <Scott Brim> I'd suggest ICCRG.
[10:21:59] <Wes George> it's more than just congestion control
[10:22:42] <Wes George> plus it's a real problem, and RG = navel gazing, not solutions
[10:23:17] <Wes George> lars eggert
[10:23:51] <Scott Brim> it's packet treatment plus signaling about that.  
[10:24:04] <Wes George> true
[10:26:47] <Wes George> henning
[10:31:30] tomkrist joins the room
[10:32:03] <Scott Brim> should they take it home and do a full blown product capability, then bring it in?
[10:32:06] erik leaves the room
[10:35:00] sarikaya2012 joins the room
[10:37:31] <Dave Thaler> no ponies just neigh-sayers :)
[10:37:35] <Wes George> lol
[10:37:52] <Wes George> I want a unicorn!
[10:39:04] <Scott Brim> heh
[10:39:12] <Scott Brim> I miss intarea
[10:39:45] Jason Weil leaves the room
[10:42:24] <Scott Brim> -> IPFIX?
[10:44:29] <Scott Brim> could someone else take notes for a few minutes?  I have to pee.
[10:47:29] miyahiro.dazu joins the room
[10:52:30] phoenix joins the room
[10:52:43] Jason Weil joins the room
[10:52:54] Jason Weil leaves the room
[11:05:38] <Scott Brim> Q: is this an intarea topic?
[11:15:41] Wes George leaves the room
[11:16:30] <Dave Thaler> what's the definition of an "access domain" here?
[11:21:53] Juan-Pedro Cerezo Martin leaves the room
[11:21:55] Lars leaves the room
[11:23:00] Scott Brim leaves the room
[11:23:31] Ted Lemon leaves the room
[11:24:35] tomkrist leaves the room
[11:29:22] cabo leaves the room
[11:30:36] phoenix leaves the room
[11:30:42] Scott Brim joins the room
[11:31:53] Dave Thaler leaves the room
[11:33:55] miyahiro.dazu leaves the room
[11:35:26] Ted Lemon joins the room
[11:37:42] cabo joins the room
[11:39:34] Scott Brim leaves the room
[11:43:15] Ted Lemon leaves the room
[11:52:21] Dave Thaler joins the room
[11:56:14] sarikaya2012 leaves the room
[11:56:57] Dave Thaler leaves the room
[12:10:55] cabo leaves the room
[12:19:47] cabo joins the room
[12:20:55] cabo leaves the room
[12:21:29] cabo joins the room
[12:36:56] cabo leaves the room
[12:45:48] cabo joins the room
[12:52:27] cabo leaves the room