IETF
ipsecme@jabber.ietf.org
Wednesday, March 29, 2017< ^ >
kivinen has set the subject to: IPsecME Meeting at IETF 98, Chicago Wednesday 2017-03-29 13:00-15:00 CST
Room Configuration
Room Occupants

GMT+0
[14:26:56] jpcerezo joins the room
[14:27:03] jpcerezo leaves the room
[17:45:25] Adam Montville joins the room
[17:52:35] Meetecho joins the room
[17:57:25] David Waltermire joins the room
[17:57:48] paulwouters joins the room
[18:00:21] kivinen joins the room
[18:00:33] Valery Smyslov joins the room
[18:01:49] <Adam Montville> Getting started here…  I'll be your jabber scribe for the session.  If you'd like something read at the mic, please preface your comment with "mic: "
[18:02:34] tyage joins the room
[18:02:51] <Adam Montville> Agenda slide
[18:02:54] <Adam Montville> status
[18:03:13] mcr joins the room
[18:03:20] <Adam Montville> See: https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/98/slides/slides-98-ipsecme-chair-slides-03.pdf
[18:03:45] <Adam Montville> 4307bis issues
[18:04:54] <Adam Montville> Paul at the mic
[18:05:14] <Adam Montville> Slide 7: 4307bis new issues
[18:05:24] <Adam Montville> And Paul sits down...
[18:06:13] <Adam Montville> And Paul is back.
[18:06:29] <Adam Montville> Yoav
[18:08:04] <Adam Montville> Tommy P.
[18:09:41] <Adam Montville> Paul W.
[18:11:15] <Adam Montville> Tommy P.
[18:12:33] <Adam Montville> Paul W.
[18:13:06] Francis Dupont joins the room
[18:13:22] <Adam Montville> Slide 8: 7321bis reviews
[18:13:40] <Adam Montville> Slide 9: 7321bis IESG issues
[18:14:25] <Adam Montville> Paul W.
[18:15:16] <Adam Montville> Michael R.
[18:15:37] whatdafuq joins the room
[18:17:03] <Adam Montville> Quynh D.
[18:18:10] <Adam Montville> Daniel
[18:18:53] <mcr> has the MUST NOT on 3DES made it into various national specifications/RFPs/etc... is there a document from NIST or some medical association pointing at our documents?
[18:19:06] Satoru Kanno joins the room
[18:19:33] <Adam Montville> @mcr…at the mic?
[18:19:53] <Adam Montville> Paul W.
[18:21:24] David Schinazi joins the room
[18:21:45] <Adam Montville> Slide 10: EdDSA
[18:23:12] <David Schinazi> I hum for using the next available number
[18:23:21] <Adam Montville> Yoav
[18:24:35] <mcr> Adam, I'm in the room, not worth mike time.
[18:26:11] <Adam Montville> yoav
[18:26:43] Antony Antony joins the room
[18:26:44] <Adam Montville> Slide 11: Work items: Split DNS
[18:27:30] <Adam Montville> Slide 12: Split DNS
[18:28:16] <Adam Montville> Slide 13: Split DNS open issues
[18:29:02] Antony Antony leaves the room
[18:29:10] Antony Antony joins the room
[18:29:17] <Adam Montville> Tero (contributor)
[18:30:29] <Adam Montville> Yoav
[18:30:38] <Adam Montville> Tero
[18:30:59] <Adam Montville> Michael
[18:34:18] Antony Antony_8774 joins the room
[18:34:26] <Adam Montville> Tommy
[18:36:21] tyage leaves the room
[18:36:29] <Adam Montville> Kyle N.
[18:36:43] tyage joins the room
[18:37:14] <Adam Montville> Tero
[18:38:22] <Adam Montville> Yoav
[18:39:15] <Adam Montville> See: https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/98/slides/slides-98-ipsecme-postquantum-preshared-keys-00.pdf
[18:39:24] <Adam Montville> Slide 2: Background
[18:39:52] <Adam Montville> Slide 3: What do we do about this?
[18:40:16] Francis Dupont leaves the room: Computer went to sleep
[18:40:42] <Adam Montville> Slide 4: Previous WG Meeting
[18:41:14] <Adam Montville> Slide 5: Open Issues
[18:42:47] <Adam Montville> Derrell
[18:42:52] <Adam Montville> Tero
[18:44:32] <paulwouters> note I submitted 4307bis-18 but authors aren't receiving the confirmation email right now. Possibly we arr still in lockdown ?
[18:45:40] <Adam Montville> Michael
[18:47:56] <David Waltermire> Paul, when did you submit -18?
[18:48:15] <David Waltermire> I haven't seen the email, but I'd like to double check.
[18:50:04] <Adam Montville> Tero
[18:53:52] <Adam Montville> Tommy
[18:54:58] <Adam Montville> Yoav
[18:56:17] <Adam Montville> Dan
[18:59:03] <Adam Montville> Mark
[19:00:05] <Adam Montville> Philip
[19:00:58] Satoru Kanno leaves the room
[19:00:58] Satoru Kanno joins the room
[19:00:58] <Adam Montville> Derrell
[19:01:09] <Adam Montville> Brian
[19:02:00] <paulwouters> david: 5-10 mins ago?
[19:02:52] <Adam Montville> Slide 6
[19:03:34] <Adam Montville> Derrell
[19:03:52] <Adam Montville> Slide 7
[19:03:55] <Adam Montville> Slide 8
[19:04:04] whatdafuq leaves the room
[19:04:31] <Adam Montville> Derrell
[19:04:49] <Adam Montville> Dan
[19:04:54] <Adam Montville> Slide 7
[19:06:06] <Adam Montville> Paul
[19:06:52] <Adam Montville> Next up: https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/98/slides/slides-98-ipsecme-implicit-iv-00.pdf
[19:07:06] <Adam Montville> Slide 2
[19:07:35] <Valery Smyslov> Does the front mic work?
[19:08:11] <Adam Montville> Slide 3
[19:08:13] <Adam Montville> Slide 4
[19:08:23] <Valery Smyslov> It seems that it is switched off - no sound
[19:08:57] <Adam Montville> @valery, we're looking at it
[19:09:05] <Adam Montville> thanks for saying something
[19:09:15] <Valery Smyslov> Thanks
[19:09:25] whatdafuq joins the room
[19:09:26] <Adam Montville> slide 7
[19:09:51] <Adam Montville> slide 8
[19:11:04] <Adam Montville> Tero
[19:11:32] <paulwouters> turns out i dont know how to press a button. submission is now actually done and confirmed :)
[19:12:34] <Adam Montville> Kathleen
[19:14:02] <paulwouters> https://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-ipsecme-rfc4307bis-18.txt
[19:15:07] <David Waltermire> Thanks. Paul.
[19:15:41] <Adam Montville> Dan
[19:15:44] <Adam Montville> Daniel sorry
[19:16:00] <Adam Montville> Yoav
[19:16:18] Malisa Richards joins the room
[19:16:27] <Adam Montville> Next up: https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/98/slides/slides-98-ipsecme-minimal-esp-00.pdf
[19:16:38] <Adam Montville> Title slide...
[19:16:40] <Adam Montville> Slide 1
[19:16:50] <Adam Montville> Slide 2: SPI
[19:18:04] Antony Antony_8774 leaves the room
[19:18:22] antony antony joins the room
[19:18:23] antony antony leaves the room
[19:18:39] <Adam Montville> Dan H.
[19:19:06] antony antony joins the room
[19:19:07] antony antony leaves the room
[19:19:44] antony antony joins the room
[19:19:44] antony antony leaves the room
[19:19:53] <Adam Montville> Slide 3: SN, Padding, NH
[19:20:14] <Adam Montville> Slide 4: ICV, Crypto suites
[19:20:24] Antony Antony_9132 joins the room
[19:20:40] <Adam Montville> Slide 3: SN, Padding, NH
[19:20:42] <Adam Montville> Scott
[19:21:04] <Adam Montville> Tero
[19:21:44] <paulwouters> beet-diediedie
[19:22:24] <Valery Smyslov> mic: if ICV is optional, doest it mean that authentication is optional in ESP? but the draft-rfc7321bis mandates it.
[19:23:33] <whatdafuq> it's the IV not the tag.
[19:24:38] <Adam Montville> Back to Slide 4: ICV, Crypto suites
[19:25:10] <whatdafuq> oops forget that statement
[19:25:27] Bertnell Richards joins the room
[19:26:29] <Valery Smyslov> mic: it's true that authentication is optional in ESP, but currently cryptographer think it is insecure
[19:26:50] <Valery Smyslov> so it's better to use it always, or use AEAD algorithms
[19:28:18] <Adam Montville> Tero
[19:28:47] <Adam Montville> Back to SN, Padding, NH slide.
[19:29:05] <Adam Montville> Which is I think slide 3
[19:29:18] <whatdafuq> I thought ESP always provided authentication. There was originally an ESP that did not do authentication and you had to do ESP+AH but the original IPsec WG decided that was dumb and changed ESP.
[19:30:04] <Valery Smyslov> No, it's still optional
[19:30:36] <Adam Montville> Scott at the mic
[19:30:44] <Valery Smyslov> But AH is virtually daed, so you have to use authentication in ESP
[19:30:53] <whatdafuq> ICV in RFC 4303 says it's "variable" not optional.
[19:30:54] <Valery Smyslov> dead
[19:31:04] <Adam Montville> four or so
[19:31:13] <Adam Montville> several volunteered
[19:31:28] <paulwouters> 4307bis has some text on this :)
[19:31:47] tyage leaves the room
[19:31:50] <Adam Montville> closing the meeting.
[19:31:53] Adam Montville leaves the room
[19:32:09] kivinen leaves the room
[19:32:10] <paulwouters> i meant 7321 :)
[19:33:22] Meetecho leaves the room
[19:33:42] Valery Smyslov leaves the room
[19:33:49] Satoru Kanno leaves the room
[19:33:49] Antony Antony leaves the room
[19:33:49] David Schinazi leaves the room
[19:33:49] Bertnell Richards leaves the room
[19:33:49] David Waltermire leaves the room
[19:33:49] Malisa Richards leaves the room
[19:33:49] Antony Antony_9132 leaves the room
[19:34:26] paulwouters leaves the room
[19:35:25] whatdafuq leaves the room
[19:36:23] tyage joins the room
[19:38:03] tyage leaves the room
[19:40:23] tyage joins the room
[19:51:34] mcr leaves the room: Disconnected: No route to host
[19:52:52] mcr joins the room
[19:57:11] whatdafuq joins the room
[20:10:33] paulwouters joins the room
[20:16:01] tyage leaves the room
[20:19:20] paulwouters leaves the room
[20:38:40] tyage joins the room
[20:59:37] tyage leaves the room
[21:01:20] tyage joins the room
[22:05:18] tyage leaves the room
[22:28:53] whatdafuq leaves the room
[22:39:04] whatdafuq joins the room
[22:47:05] mcr leaves the room: Disconnected: No route to host
[23:21:58] whatdafuq leaves the room
[23:27:16] whatdafuq joins the room
[23:30:43] whatdafuq leaves the room
[23:30:54] whatdafuq joins the room
[23:32:51] whatdafuq leaves the room
[23:41:03] whatdafuq joins the room
[23:42:39] whatdafuq leaves the room
[23:56:46] whatdafuq joins the room
[23:58:22] whatdafuq leaves the room
Powered by ejabberd - robust, scalable and extensible XMPP server Powered by Erlang Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS!