IETF
sacm@jabber.ietf.org
Thursday, March 6, 2014< ^ >
Room Configuration
Room Occupants

GMT+0
[08:39:20] Alessandro Amirante joins the room
[08:47:58] Adam Montville joins the room
[08:48:12] <Adam Montville> testing.
[08:53:51] Gary Gapinski joins the room
[08:53:58] Adam Montville leaves the room
[08:54:02] Adam Montville joins the room
[08:57:46] <Adam Montville> Jabber is running.
[08:58:39] Cur joins the room
[08:59:01] <Adam Montville> At least, I was in the jabber room before MeetEcho and MeetEcho was going to duplicate my handle...fwiw
[09:00:14] Chris Inacio joins the room
[09:01:46] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 1: SACM IETF 89, London, UK
[09:01:50] <Alessandro Amirante> Current presenter: Dan Romascanu
[09:01:51] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 1: SACM IETF 89, London, UK
[09:01:52] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 2: Note Well
[09:02:29] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 3: Administrative Tasks
[09:03:44] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 4: Agenda
[09:03:55] Kathleen Moriarty joins the room
[09:06:23] <Adam Montville> <insert sad face here>
[09:06:29] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 5: WG Status
[09:09:19] <Adam Montville> +1
[09:10:01] <Adam Montville> We may additionally benefit from tighter project management methods, if the group feels that it would help
[09:12:11] <Adam Montville> +1 on leveraging social media etc.
[09:13:46] <Adam Montville> As in I can help in that case as well.
[09:14:24] <Chris Inacio> I think we got it
[09:15:06] <Adam Montville> I agree that we don't want to stumble, but clear requirements at least at a high level, should be something we can use to test proposals.
[09:16:41] <Alessandro Amirante> Presentation stopped
[09:17:08] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 1: SACM Terminology
[09:17:16] <Alessandro Amirante> Current presenter: Nancy Cam-Winget
[09:17:16] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 1: SACM Terminology
[09:17:22] <Adam Montville> Yes
[09:17:38] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 2: Current Status
[09:17:54] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 2: Current Status
[09:19:13] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 3: Proposed changes
[09:19:44] <Adam Montville> Do you have an idea what percentage you're suggesting to remove?
[09:20:40] <Adam Montville> [for nancy] that's a ton, and this list is very short based on what I read in the UC doc.
[09:21:57] <Chris Inacio> there's a line at the mic
[09:22:12] Cur leaves the room
[09:22:16] <Adam Montville> [general comment on terminology] I would encourage the working group to lean toward being pedantic when it comes to our vocabulary.
[09:23:14] <Adam Montville> +1 on copy and mention
[09:25:27] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 4: Discussion for proposed changes
[09:27:12] <Adam Montville> s/posture collection/state collection
[09:27:14] <Adam Montville> ?
[09:27:59] <Adam Montville> WRT "capability" I would strongly argue that we ought to define what we need.
[09:28:06] <Adam Montville> s/need/mean
[09:28:18] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 3: Proposed changes
[09:29:14] <Adam Montville> [dan] +1
[09:29:32] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 4: Discussion for proposed changes
[09:32:52] <Adam Montville> question: what if we're collecting posture meta-data?  Is that still posture collection?
[09:33:00] <Adam Montville> Or is that data collection?
[09:35:07] Kathleen Moriarty leaves the room
[09:35:09] <Adam Montville> Not really though.
[09:35:27] Kathleen Moriarty joins the room
[09:35:28] <Adam Montville> The definitions are implied but not made explicit in many cases.
[09:36:20] <Adam Montville> Who owns a box
[09:36:44] <Adam Montville> So, there is data colleciton
[09:36:50] <Adam Montville> Sometimes it's endpoint attribute collection
[09:36:58] <Adam Montville> Sometimes it's posture colleciton
[09:37:07] <Adam Montville> this is where definition matters :-)
[09:38:02] <Adam Montville> Agree.
[09:38:14] <Adam Montville> That we're in the weeds.  Yes, Nancy.
[09:38:18] <Adam Montville> thanks chris
[09:38:39] <Chris Inacio> trying my best
[09:39:12] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 1: Security Automation and Continuous Monit
[09:39:18] <Alessandro Amirante> Current presenter: David Waltermire
[09:39:19] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 1: Security Automation and Continuous Monit
[09:39:20] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 2: Use Cases Document
[09:40:41] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 3: Use Cases Status -06
[09:44:18] Adam Montville leaves the room
[09:44:43] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 4: Open Questions - #1
[09:45:58] Adam Montville joins the room
[09:50:14] <Adam Montville> not seeing a slide change on meetecho
[09:50:15] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 5: Open Questions - #2
[09:50:20] <Adam Montville> there it is! thanks
[09:50:23] <Alessandro Amirante> Sorry
[09:54:15] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 6: Open Questions - #3-5
[09:54:32] <Adam Montville> No worries at all Alessandro.
[09:56:12] <Adam Montville> I think both are good comments.
[09:56:25] <Adam Montville> In some cases, we want to stay out of exception handling.
[09:56:51] <Adam Montville> In others, such as providing behavioral guidance to systems implementors, it makes sense
[09:57:24] <Adam Montville> Maybe we think of it in terms of our information model and not in terms of error or exception.
[09:58:15] <Adam Montville> Chris are you at the mic?
[09:58:25] <Chris Inacio> kind of
[09:58:33] <Chris Inacio> i got you
[09:59:22] <Alessandro Amirante> Adam, do you want me to point the camera at the mic line?
[09:59:53] <Alessandro Amirante> I don't know if you're watching video, too
[10:01:17] <Adam Montville> I am watching video, but I don't need the video to be changed.
[10:02:14] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 7: Open Questions - #3-5 - Changes
[10:09:07] <Adam Montville> Is anything beyond posture assessment considered in the charter?
[10:11:38] <Chris Inacio> still want the comment read in light of nancy;s and david's comments?
[10:11:47] <Adam Montville> naw
[10:11:49] <Adam Montville> thanks
[10:11:59] <Adam Montville> it was more rhetorical than anything else
[10:14:15] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 8: Open Questions - #6
[10:14:19] <Chris Inacio> consensus is 1 section…
[10:15:48] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 9: Next Steps
[10:17:39] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 10: Questions?
[10:18:01] <Adam Montville> +1 on congrats - thank you
[10:18:14] <Alessandro Amirante> Presentation stopped
[10:20:22] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 1: Telecommunication Requirements draft-zhu
[10:20:24] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 2: Outline
[10:20:46] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 3: Problem statement
[10:22:34] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 4: Security baseline
[10:25:59] <Adam Montville> This is going to be really difficult over jabber :-)
[10:27:58] <Adam Montville> it seems to me, and I could be way off base, that the operator requirement represent abstractions that may be fulfilled by Vendor A and/or Vendor B.
[10:28:08] <Adam Montville> I'll wait for Dave to finish.
[10:28:25] <Alessandro Amirante> Adam, we didn't know you were going to chair remotely, otherwise we could have arranged for your audio injection into the room through Meetecho!
[10:28:52] <Adam Montville> I didn't know that was possible, Alessandro.  Good to know for the future though, so thank you for bringing that up.
[10:29:06] <Adam Montville> Would that be something we simply note in the meetecho request?
[10:29:38] <Adam Montville> +1 on ICS.  Still, it seems that this is a general case applicable to all IT enviornments whether Enterprise, ICS, or Telecom
[10:30:19] <Alessandro Amirante> Yes. I also sent an email a couple of weeks ago to all chairs, asking if there was any need for remote *presentations*... Didn't think to ask if there were remote *chairs* as well
[10:30:41] <Adam Montville> [presenter] It seems that we're looking for abstraction where the requirement is abstract and the model is specifically different based on vendor.
[10:31:03] <Adam Montville> Baselines may then need to represent multiple platforms but meet the same baseline requirements in context.
[10:31:54] <Adam Montville> Enterprise, Cloud, IT, ICS, Telecom.  We ought to be equally applicable.
[10:32:07] <Adam Montville> Last comment to Kathleen's.
[10:32:12] <Adam Montville> Previous two to presenter.
[10:33:23] <Adam Montville> [Dan+Kathleen (as AD)] I think Enterprise has cases in which this scenario applies.
[10:33:25] <Chris Inacio> inline for you
[10:35:00] <Adam Montville> So, make it concrete with the "hello world" of configuraiton assessment...  password length.
[10:35:07] <Adam Montville> oh nevermind :-)
[10:35:50] <Adam Montville> [suggestion] seems that a concrete example would help.
[10:38:27] <Adam Montville> [general comment] It seems that there's some there there so we should probably sit down with these folks in London and hash it out.
[10:38:37] <Chris Inacio> agree
[10:41:01] <Adam Montville> Interesting comment, Dave.
[10:44:09] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 5: Remediation
[10:46:39] <Adam Montville> This one seems clear in that remediation was explicitly left out of scope.
[10:46:49] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 6: New use cases for telecommunication equi
[10:48:25] <Adam Montville> +1
[10:48:46] <Adam Montville> Write it without speaking to thosse things.
[10:50:06] <Chris Inacio> Kathleen agrees with Nancy.
[10:52:07] stevehanna joins the room
[10:52:30] <Chris Inacio> welcome Steve
[10:52:41] <Adam Montville> +1, Steve.
[10:52:44] <stevehanna> Hi, folks
[10:52:46] <Adam Montville> Good to see you.
[10:53:49] <Adam Montville> [general comment] specific concrete examples would help on the side as well.
[10:53:59] Steve Hanna joins the room
[10:54:47] <Alessandro Amirante> Presentation stopped
[10:54:59] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 1: SACM Requirements
[10:55:06] <Alessandro Amirante> Current presenter: Nancy Cam-Winget
[10:55:07] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 1: SACM Requirements
[10:55:09] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 2: Draft Updates
[10:55:55] Jahangir Hossain joins the room
[10:56:06] <Adam Montville> Hey...I sent some feedback! ;-)
[10:56:26] <Chris Inacio> I'll give you a gold star in Toronto.
[10:56:36] <Adam Montville> lol
[10:57:12] <Adam Montville> I gotta tell you all, participating remotely at -6 hours is a bit like kicking back a couple of brews.
[10:57:13] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 3: Requirements Discussion
[10:59:18] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 4: Protocols to enable Posture Assessment (
[11:01:15] Kathleen Moriarty 2 joins the room
[11:01:31] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 5: Discussion: Architecture Concepts (1)
[11:02:21] Kathleen Moriarty 2 leaves the room
[11:06:21] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 6: Discussion: Architecture Concepts (2)
[11:06:31] <Steve Hanna> I agree with Trevor.
[11:09:04] <Chris Inacio> stever: Do you want me to voice that?
[11:09:14] <Chris Inacio> or was that more for posterity?
[11:09:23] <Chris Inacio> slow, I'm behind on catching that.
[11:09:35] <Steve Hanna> No need to voice it.
[11:09:42] <Chris Inacio> sorry, my bad
[11:10:36] <Steve Hanna> No, I should be clearer. This is my first time participating remotely via Meetecho. I'll state clearly when I'm just ruminating and when I'd like to have the Jabber scribe speak up for me.
[11:11:10] <Chris Inacio> I'll do my best to discern either way.
[11:11:27] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 7: Discussion: Architecture Concepts (2)
[11:13:32] stevehanna leaves the room
[11:14:45] <Gary Gapinski> is an endpoint a provider? If not, then is the query protocol for end endpoint distinct from  or the same as that used when querying a "provider"?
[11:15:01] <Chris Inacio> [at the mic?]
[11:15:05] <Gary Gapinski> s/end endpoint/endpoint/
[11:15:16] <Gary Gapinski> yes, at some appropriate time please
[11:17:11] <Chris Inacio> [that's good because I had already gotten up]
[11:17:30] <Gary Gapinski> iow, how many or few query protocols must exist?
[11:19:40] <Gary Gapinski> (for later, if time permits, and not related to this particular discussion): The concept of time dimension in use casees (2.1.5) is not present in the use-case-related requirements.
[11:19:56] <Adam Montville> Good catch, Gary.
[11:20:39] <Chris Inacio> Gary: yeah, that's one of the things that I didn't want to lose.
[11:22:54] Jahangir Hossain leaves the room
[11:23:50] <Alessandro Amirante> Slide 8: Next Steps
[11:26:41] <Steve Hanna> Please use the mike.
[11:26:51] <Alessandro Amirante> Presentation stopped
[11:27:30] <Steve Hanna> Thanks.
[11:29:02] <Chris Inacio> commenting about when to schedule the interim
[11:29:15] <Chris Inacio> Nancy's travel schedule; avoiding easter & passover
[11:29:17] <Chris Inacio> etc.
[11:29:34] <Chris Inacio> You can't likely hear it, but I don't think you're missing much, etheir
[11:29:54] <Steve Hanna> Thanks, Chris. I can hear now.
[11:29:55] <Chris Inacio> No date yet proposed, really, just a bunch of dates that don't work
[11:30:04] <Adam Montville> :-)
[11:30:13] <Chris Inacio> I think DR is going to put a date out via poll
[11:30:30] <Adam Montville> April 20
[11:31:11] <Kathleen Moriarty> and 27th for some others
[11:31:17] <Adam Montville> Which doc?
[11:31:31] <Chris Inacio> Question: should arch be split?
[11:31:38] <Chris Inacio> what DR said
[11:31:50] <Steve Hanna> Hum yes
[11:31:53] <Steve Hanna> Split
[11:32:01] <Adam Montville> split
[11:32:06] <Adam Montville> if I get a voice
[11:32:41] <Chris Inacio> you two are both split, right?
[11:32:42] <Kathleen Moriarty> you did
[11:32:42] <Adam Montville> If we leave them together, then just call it an architecture document containing requirements.
[11:32:48] <Adam Montville> Yes.
[11:32:58] <Steve Hanna> Agree w Adam.
[11:33:42] <Adam Montville> semantics, meh.
[11:35:01] <Adam Montville> +1
[11:35:40] Kathleen Moriarty leaves the room
[11:36:04] <Alessandro Amirante> Goodbye everybody, hope to see you soon on Meetecho!
[11:36:10] <Adam Montville> Thank you!
[11:36:10] <Chris Inacio> see ya
[11:36:12] <Alessandro Amirante> FYI, the recording (audio + video + slides + chat) of this session will be posted shortly at www.meetecho.com/ietf89/recordings.
[11:36:30] <Adam Montville> Alessandro, please contact me about how to make future meetecho requests for bidirectional audio.
[11:36:38] <Adam Montville> adam at stoicsecurity.com
[11:36:52] <Alessandro Amirante> will sure do!
[11:37:09] Gary Gapinski leaves the room
[11:37:35] Steve Hanna leaves the room
[11:37:44] Adam Montville leaves the room
[11:38:54] Alessandro Amirante leaves the room
[11:50:09] Chris Inacio leaves the room
[12:57:49] Kathleen Moriarty joins the room
[12:58:04] Kathleen Moriarty leaves the room
[21:41:03] Chris Inacio joins the room
[21:41:17] Chris Inacio leaves the room
Powered by ejabberd Powered by Erlang Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS!