IETF
sfc@jabber.ietf.org
Friday, November 8, 2013< ^ >
Room Configuration
Room Occupants

GMT+0
[00:00:21] <vimoreno> potential issue with chaining vs. graft to broaden the scope
[00:00:31] <vimoreno> Jim: Will be included in the architecture discussion
[00:01:11] <vimoreno> Jim G: There are other use cases beyond the two cases here described
[00:01:40] <vimoreno> China mobile: Don gwi
[00:02:18] <vimoreno> classifier is a required component to achieve the chain, implementations may vary
[00:02:39] <vimoreno> requirement for specific location for the classifier?
[00:02:46] <sarikaya2012> Hui Deng at mic
[00:02:49] <vimoreno> gap analysis underway?
[00:03:16] <vimoreno> gap analysis work has just started
[00:03:52] Dan Siemon joins the room
[00:05:23] <vimoreno> Thomas: Work on the classifier has not been proposed so far as part of what the group would do.
[00:06:36] Melinda leaves the room
[00:06:38] <vimoreno> Lucy at mic
[00:06:59] <vimoreno> is the granularity per flow or per service?
[00:07:23] Melinda Shore joins the room
[00:07:50] <vimoreno> lucy requests clarity on the definition of a service
[00:08:02] <vimoreno> service = chain
[00:08:31] Melinda Shore leaves the room
[00:08:40] <vimoreno> alu @ mic
[00:09:05] <vimoreno> p.quinn @ mic
[00:09:33] <adrianfarrel> Diego is 400yds from nearest mic
[00:10:22] <vimoreno> Diego@mic
[00:10:49] <vimoreno> NFE gap analysis underway, results ETA February
[00:12:01] Melinda joins the room
[00:12:10] <sureshk> s/NFE/NFV
[00:12:10] <sureshk> \/
[00:12:32] <Tobia Castaldi> Presentation stopped
[00:13:00] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 12: Use Case Considerations
[00:13:04] <Tobia Castaldi> Current presenter: Chairs
[00:13:05] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 12: Use Case Considerations
[00:13:08] <vimoreno> Jim G. speaking
[00:15:22] <vimoreno> faraz @ mic
[00:15:55] <sarikaya2012> Parviz Yegani at mic
[00:16:00] <vimoreno> use case draft may not be exhaustive, but informative
[00:16:49] <vimoreno> Steve/ATT @ mic
[00:17:48] <sureshk> The specs are at http://www.etsi.org/technologies-clusters/technologies/nfv
[00:17:55] <sureshk> under the specifications tab
[00:18:05] <Tobia Castaldi> Presentation stopped
[00:18:10] bubo joins the room
[00:18:30] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 1: Service Function Chaining BoF: SFC Archi
[00:18:39] <Tobia Castaldi> Current presenter: Ron Parker
[00:18:40] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 1: Service Function Chaining BoF: SFC Archi
[00:18:50] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 2: Brief Background
[00:23:07] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 3: Alignment
[00:23:37] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 4: Core Architecture Principles
[00:24:30] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 5: Simplified Architecture
[00:25:50] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 6: SFC Components
[00:27:04] <vimoreno> Difference between network function virtualization or service function virtualization?
[00:27:15] <vimoreno> This is more about chaining
[00:27:29] Tom Walsh joins the room
[00:28:20] amchouki joins the room
[00:28:33] <vimoreno> Praviz Yegani @ mic
[00:29:16] <vimoreno> Need to add a Network Service to the Simplified Architecure
[00:29:24] Brian Carpenter leaves the room: offline
[00:29:30] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 5: Simplified Architecture
[00:29:46] <vimoreno> P. Quinn: Purposely ommited from the draft
[00:30:26] <vimoreno> Chairs: Acknowledgement of lose definition of terminology
[00:30:44] <vimoreno> Praviz Y.
[00:31:58] <vimoreno> Linda Dunbar @ mic
[00:32:06] mwm joins the room
[00:32:21] ancaz joins the room
[00:33:26] <vimoreno> Architecture is connectionless, concept of network locator used
[00:34:14] <vimoreno> Topic of service node discovery raised
[00:34:55] <vimoreno> Linda D. concerns about multiple ports per node
[00:35:11] <vimoreno> Nabil Bitar @ mic
[00:35:53] <vimoreno> leverage work from other WGs
[00:36:21] <vimoreno> Distinction between service path and topology
[00:37:01] adrianfarrel leaves the room
[00:37:05] <vimoreno> service function chain != service function path
[00:37:26] jjrh leaves the room
[00:39:32] adrianfarrel joins the room
[00:39:32] <vimoreno> Nabil: Selection of path instances as an interesting work item to line up
[00:39:49] <vimoreno> to be continued on the list
[00:40:03] <vimoreno> Eric @ mic
[00:40:56] <vimoreno> realization of the path may imply encapsulation
[00:42:00] noahkweis leaves the room
[00:42:18] <vimoreno> Chairs: Encaps and shim to carry service tag/context and locator
[00:42:30] <vimoreno> Paul Prisco (BT) @ mic
[00:42:31] bubo leaves the room
[00:44:36] Paolo leaves the room
[00:45:18] <vimoreno> Security considerations and validation of expected behavior
[00:45:56] <vimoreno> Is there a central authority that knows everything?
[00:47:09] <vimoreno> discussion on architecture supporting transparent and non-transparent services
[00:48:02] <vimoreno> Architecture not constrained to particular implementations of the different components
[00:48:10] <vimoreno> Dino @ mic
[00:48:35] <vimoreno> Loop avoidance mechanisms and multiple passes through service nodes
[00:49:11] Alia Atlas leaves the room
[00:49:20] <vimoreno> Multipoint service chaining left as an interesting idea
[00:49:26] <vimoreno> Steve/ATT @ mic
[00:49:38] <vimoreno> examples of things that would not qualify as service functions
[00:50:25] <vimoreno> DNS is one example. Thomas used the blackbox analogy ("FIFO")
[00:50:37] <Tobia Castaldi> Presentation stopped
[00:51:19] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 11: Proposed Charter Work Items
[00:51:26] <Tobia Castaldi> Current presenter: Chairs
[00:51:27] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 11: Proposed Charter Work Items
[00:52:01] bonnesso joins the room
[00:55:01] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 12: Use Case Considerations
[00:55:05] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 13: SFC Charter Milestones
[00:56:32] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 14: Questions For BoF
[00:56:54] <vimoreno> Lucy @ mic
[00:57:23] <vimoreno> Nabil Bitar @ mic
[00:58:55] <vimoreno> Nabil: milestone timeframes may be too lengthy
[00:59:39] Dan Wing leaves the room
[00:59:55] sarikaya2012 leaves the room
[01:00:19] <vimoreno> Chairs: There are opportunities for efficiency, there is also a fair amount of work that needs be serialized
[01:00:27] <vimoreno> Eric @ mic
[01:00:37] amchouki leaves the room
[01:01:03] <vimoreno> Eric: There may be components that can leverage work from other WGs
[01:03:09] <vimoreno> attendee @ mic: virtual networks (multi-tenant overlays) outside the scope of this WG
[01:04:07] <vimoreno> Chairs: Virtual Networks are in scope
[01:05:39] <vimoreno> Parviz Yegani @ mic
[01:05:57] <vimoreno> Inter/Intra domain aspects must both be addressed
[01:06:57] <vimoreno> Chairs: Start with single domain and then progress to Inter-domain
[01:07:09] <vimoreno> Huawei @ mic
[01:07:52] <vimoreno> Paul Q. @ mic: Echo concerns about timing
[01:08:34] <vimoreno> Lucy @ mic: Finds control plane definition confusing
[01:08:57] <vimoreno> Chairs: The control plane is that which is used to establish service chains
[01:09:58] <vimoreno> moving discussion to the list
[01:10:47] <vimoreno> Ron @ mic: Defining manageability vs. control plane for service chains
[01:11:46] <vimoreno> moving discussion on wording to the list
[01:11:58] <vimoreno> Tim chong @ mic
[01:12:26] <vimoreno> Start with intra-domain as the charter
[01:12:34] <vimoreno> China Mobile @ mic
[01:13:31] <vimoreno> move question to the list, time is short
[01:13:47] <vimoreno> attendee @ mic
[01:14:10] <vimoreno> Cannot assume that the chain or graft pre-existing
[01:14:10] sureshk leaves the room
[01:15:27] <vimoreno> suggestion to replace the term chain with something more generic
[01:15:41] <vimoreno> ina minei
[01:15:48] <vimoreno> steve/ATT @ mic
[01:15:59] <Tobia Castaldi> Slide 11: Proposed Charter Work Items
[01:16:21] <vimoreno> is there an assumption that there will be a new encapsulation or would there be a re-use
[01:17:00] bonnesso leaves the room
[01:17:11] <vimoreno> Huawei @ mic
[01:18:00] <vimoreno> Chairs: Is there support to form a WG with the posted charter?
[01:18:26] <vimoreno> yes: most of the room
[01:18:32] <vimoreno> No: 2 people in the room
[01:19:09] <vimoreno> Adrian requested those opposed to please explain why
[01:19:19] <vimoreno> Strong interest in reviewing drafts
[01:19:26] <vimoreno> strong interest in writing drafts
[01:19:45] <vimoreno> strong preference for a specific IETF Area?
[01:20:01] <vimoreno> Joel Halpern @ mic
[01:20:22] <vimoreno> Joel: This belongs in Internet Routing Area
[01:20:46] <Tobia Castaldi> Presentation stopped
[01:20:46] mwm leaves the room
[01:20:49] <vimoreno> meeting adjourned
[01:20:51] ancaz leaves the room
[01:20:57] vimoreno leaves the room
[01:21:27] <Tobia Castaldi> bye all
[01:21:32] <Tobia Castaldi> the session is over
[01:21:56] Melinda leaves the room
[01:22:01] adrianfarrel leaves the room
[01:22:02] Tom Walsh leaves the room
[01:22:49] Simon Dredge leaves the room
[01:23:10] Tobia Castaldi leaves the room
[01:24:22] mwm joins the room
[01:24:26] mwm leaves the room
[01:34:15] Dan Siemon leaves the room
[02:14:43] adrianfarrel joins the room
[02:17:01] adrianfarrel leaves the room
[02:30:27] adrianfarrel joins the room
[02:47:25] Dan Siemon joins the room
[02:49:14] Dan Wing joins the room
[03:06:21] Dan Wing leaves the room
[03:11:05] adrianfarrel leaves the room
[03:34:54] Dan Siemon leaves the room
[04:03:13] sureshk joins the room
[04:03:32] sureshk leaves the room
[04:03:42] sureshk joins the room
[04:03:54] sureshk leaves the room
[04:03:54] sureshk joins the room
[04:04:02] sureshk leaves the room
[04:04:05] sureshk joins the room
[04:04:05] sureshk leaves the room
[04:04:15] sureshk joins the room
[04:04:15] sureshk leaves the room
[04:04:19] sureshk joins the room
[04:04:20] sureshk leaves the room
[04:04:23] sureshk joins the room
[04:04:32] sureshk leaves the room
[04:04:46] sureshk joins the room
[04:05:02] sureshk leaves the room
[04:05:03] sureshk joins the room
[04:05:03] sureshk leaves the room
[04:05:06] sureshk joins the room
[04:05:06] sureshk leaves the room
[04:05:10] sureshk joins the room
[04:05:32] sureshk leaves the room
[04:05:33] sureshk joins the room
[04:05:33] sureshk leaves the room
[04:05:37] sureshk joins the room
[04:06:02] sureshk leaves the room
[04:06:08] sureshk joins the room
[04:06:08] sureshk leaves the room
[04:06:11] sureshk joins the room
[04:06:12] sureshk leaves the room
[04:06:16] sureshk joins the room
[04:06:32] sureshk leaves the room
[04:06:32] sureshk joins the room
[04:07:02] sureshk leaves the room
[04:07:06] sureshk joins the room
[04:07:32] sureshk leaves the room
[04:07:34] sureshk joins the room
[04:08:02] sureshk leaves the room
[04:08:05] sureshk joins the room
[04:09:02] sureshk leaves the room
[04:09:08] sureshk joins the room
[04:09:08] sureshk leaves the room
[04:09:08] sureshk joins the room
[04:09:32] sureshk leaves the room
[04:09:35] sureshk joins the room
[04:10:32] sureshk leaves the room
[04:11:04] sureshk joins the room
[04:11:04] sureshk leaves the room
[04:11:06] sureshk joins the room
[04:11:06] sureshk leaves the room
[04:11:10] sureshk joins the room
[04:11:32] sureshk leaves the room
[04:11:39] sureshk joins the room
[04:12:02] sureshk leaves the room
[04:12:08] sureshk joins the room
[04:12:08] sureshk leaves the room
[04:12:12] sureshk joins the room
[04:12:12] sureshk leaves the room
[04:12:16] sureshk joins the room
[04:12:16] sureshk leaves the room
[04:12:26] sureshk joins the room
[04:12:32] sureshk leaves the room
[04:12:34] sureshk joins the room
[04:13:02] sureshk leaves the room
[04:13:07] sureshk joins the room
[04:13:32] sureshk leaves the room
[04:13:34] sureshk joins the room
[04:13:34] sureshk leaves the room
[04:13:38] sureshk joins the room
[04:14:02] sureshk leaves the room
[04:14:11] sureshk joins the room
[04:14:11] sureshk leaves the room
[04:14:15] sureshk joins the room
[04:14:15] sureshk leaves the room
[04:14:24] sureshk joins the room
[04:14:32] sureshk leaves the room
[04:14:39] sureshk joins the room
[04:15:02] sureshk leaves the room
[04:15:08] sureshk joins the room
[04:15:32] sureshk leaves the room
[04:15:35] sureshk joins the room
[04:16:02] sureshk leaves the room
[06:26:07] Dan Wing joins the room
[06:40:10] Dan Wing leaves the room
[08:06:35] adrianfarrel joins the room
[17:27:55] adrianfarrel joins the room
[19:03:38] adrianfarrel leaves the room
[19:27:31] adrianfarrel joins the room
[20:15:29] adrianfarrel leaves the room