IETF
uta
uta@jabber.ietf.org
Thursday, July 20, 2017< ^ >
fenton has set the subject to: UTA Meeting - IETF 98
Room Configuration
Room Occupants

GMT+0
[15:25:08] abrotman joins the room
[15:54:36] Meetecho joins the room
[16:04:53] rsalz joins the room
[16:05:07] rsalz has set the subject to: UTA at IETF 99
[16:05:13] Daniel Margolis joins the room
[16:05:13] Alex Brotman joins the room
[16:05:13] Janet Jones joins the room
[16:07:33] Daniel Margolis leaves the room
[16:07:40] <rsalz> I'm your jabber scribe.  If you want me to relay something, put "mic" in front or ping me directly.
[16:08:22] Daniel Margolis joins the room
[16:10:08] rsalz leaves the room: Connection failed: connection closed
[16:10:20] richsalz joins the room
[16:10:38] yuki goto joins the room
[16:11:06] <richsalz> Note well
[16:11:08] <richsalz> Agenda
[16:11:11] Sean Leonard joins the room
[16:11:29] Kurt Andersen joins the room
[16:12:03] Jim Fenton joins the room
[16:12:11] Janet Jones leaves the room
[16:12:13] Janet Jones joins the room
[16:13:07] Roberto Zambrana joins the room
[16:13:38] Janet Jones leaves the room
[16:13:40] Janet Jones joins the room
[16:13:59] <richsalz> Chris Newman
[16:14:04] Daniel Margolis leaves the room
[16:14:08] <abrotman> The meetedcho feed keeps dropping in and out
[16:14:36] <richsalz> Maartsen Aertsen
[16:14:48] <richsalz> @Meetcho
[16:15:05] Daniel Margolis joins the room
[16:15:34] <richsalz> Alexey
[16:15:54] <richsalz> Any jabber feedback?
[16:15:58] m&m joins the room
[16:16:33] <abrotman> Sorry, the meetecho is opening and closing.
[16:16:35] <Kurt Andersen> Calling for "sense of the room" on KV vs JSONā€¦
[16:16:47] <Jim Fenton> (meetecho has been solid for me)
[16:16:50] <Janet Jones> thanks Kurt
[16:16:53] <Kurt Andersen> speak up here if you have an opinion or whether you don't care
[16:16:56] Daniel Margolis leaves the room
[16:16:56] Daniel Margolis joins the room
[16:17:04] Viktor Dukhovni joins the room
[16:17:17] <Janet Jones> JSON
[16:17:24] Taiji Kimura joins the room
[16:17:34] <richsalz> @Viktor asking for views on json vs k/v
[16:17:40] <abrotman> RE: The TOFU, I believe the section 8.2 addresses some of those questions?
[16:17:51] <Daniel Margolis> Hi all. Missed the earlier discussion. Meetecho not working well for me.
[16:17:58] <richsalz> there was no discussion.
[16:18:30] <Kurt Andersen> suggestion that people with MeetEcho stability problems should just join jabber directly and focus input there
[16:18:49] cw-ietf joins the room
[16:19:16] <richsalz> Reminder if you want me to say something, please put "mic" at the front
[16:19:27] <Kurt Andersen> s/there/here/ - use jabber
[16:20:23] <Jim Fenton> I'm neutral on the syntax issue.
[16:20:38] <Daniel Margolis> Re: UTF8, I think most extensions would still be about things like SANs or certificates, all of which can be expressed in ASCII, no?
[16:20:48] <Daniel Margolis> E.g. A-record for punycode...
[16:21:22] Ranjana Mukhia joins the room
[16:21:35] <richsalz> If you have no strong opinions, then we will NOT change the document
[16:21:43] <Janet Jones> thanks
[16:22:31] <Sean Leonard> (raise hand)
[16:22:45] <Jim Fenton> Have read, not in great detail.
[16:22:57] <richsalz> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/slides-99-uta-deep/00/
[16:23:03] <richsalz> Keith Moore talking
[16:23:12] <richsalz> pg, "Changes since 06"
[16:24:25] richsalz leaves the room: Connection failed: connection closed
[16:24:32] richsalz joins the room
[16:24:36] <richsalz> pg  "Not changed"
[16:25:16] <richsalz> pg BCPs for mSPs
[16:26:09] <richsalz> pg BCPs for MUAs
[16:26:09] <Jim Fenton> mic: What is the motvation for use of DNS SRV records? Is there a security benefit?
[16:26:48] <richsalz> k
[16:26:56] Mark Risher joins the room
[16:28:25] <richsalz> yaron sheffer
[16:29:18] <richsalz> neil jenkins
[16:29:19] <Janet Jones> Yes, TLS 1.2
[16:30:39] Roberto Zambrana leaves the room
[16:32:10] <richsalz> chris newman
[16:33:17] <richsalz> aaron zauner
[16:34:40] <richsalz> neil jenkins
[16:35:13] <richsalz> chris newman
[16:37:05] <Viktor Dukhovni> On the list, I need to read it more.
[16:37:27] <richsalz> by on the list  you mean mic?
[16:37:42] <richsalz> standards track hums
[16:37:42] <Jim Fenton> +1 standards track
[16:38:06] <richsalz> matthew miller
[16:38:08] <Kurt Andersen> The room was silent for "something other"
[16:38:16] <Jim Fenton> announce what the consensus was? (couldn't hear hums)
[16:38:27] <Jim Fenton> thanks Kurt
[16:38:28] <Kurt Andersen> consensus was standards track
[16:38:40] <richsalz> alexey
[16:39:38] <richsalz> rolf sonneveld
[16:39:44] <richsalz> chris newman replying
[16:40:26] <richsalz> alexey
[16:41:07] <richsalz> https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/99/slides/slides-99-uta-requiretls-01.pdf
[16:41:10] <richsalz> jim fenton
[16:41:22] <richsalz> p2 review problem statement
[16:41:43] <richsalz> p3 review goals
[16:42:14] <richsalz> p4 review approach
[16:42:41] <richsalz> p5 whats new
[16:43:11] <richsalz> p6 wg adoption
[16:44:11] <Jim Fenton> I have read it :)
[16:44:35] <richsalz> hum for WG adoption
[16:44:36] <Viktor Dukhovni> For adoption
[16:44:36] <Jim Fenton> hum yes
[16:44:44] <richsalz> unanimuous yes
[16:45:19] <Mark Risher> can we talk about STS Key Values?
[16:45:39] <Alex Brotman> Could we return to KV vs JSON for STS?  We don't seem to have a stable MeetEcho, but a few of us are on via XMPP.
[16:45:49] <richsalz> k
[16:46:21] <richsalz> yes, this is open mic go ahead
[16:46:27] <Kurt Andersen> Alex: is that a comment for the mic?
[16:46:27] Aaron Zauner joins the room
[16:46:28] <Daniel Margolis> I'm not sure I can present.
[16:46:31] <richsalz> barry lieba
[16:46:33] <Daniel Margolis> Some technical problemshere.
[16:47:08] <Mark Risher> he can't talk
[16:47:10] <Mark Risher> I think I can
[16:47:17] <Daniel Margolis> Please.
[16:47:18] <Daniel Margolis> I don't mind.
[16:47:20] <Meetecho> We can't hear Daniel in Meetecho either... possibly a mic issue?
[16:47:52] <Daniel Margolis> mic: For discontinuing a policy, I've repeatedly described how I believe this works on the list.
[16:48:06] <Daniel Margolis> mic: Would be happy to link to my last reply on this rather than repeating.
[16:48:15] <richsalz> k
[16:48:22] <Daniel Margolis> Heh. Possibly.
[16:48:45] <Daniel Margolis> mic: I may be wrong, of course, but I _think_ I have the last reply on the list on this.
[16:49:19] <richsalz> okay daniel?
[16:49:43] <Mark Risher> [mic] having same problem as Dan
[16:49:53] <Mark Risher> okay I yield too
[16:49:53] <Daniel Margolis> richsalz, thanks. You got it.
[16:50:00] <Mark Risher> yup.
[16:50:02] <Mark Risher> [mic] coming up
[16:50:08] <Mark Risher> [mic] We wrote up a Key-Value option for STS
[16:50:17] <Mark Risher> [mic] And would like to close this issue
[16:50:57] <Mark Risher> [mic] We are pretty neutral; on the one hand, KV is now ready but requires custom parsers. JSON is also ready and requires third-party parsers (which is a benefit for some and a hindrance for others)
[16:51:03] <Mark Risher> (we == authors)
[16:51:03] <Aaron Zauner> as said on mic in the room: been out of the loop for ~6m
[16:51:08] <Aaron Zauner> I'll review STS as is
[16:51:21] <Aaron Zauner> give me a couple of days
[16:51:26] <Aaron Zauner> kv vs JSON: don't care
[16:52:20] <Mark Risher> [mic] Google has a JSON implementation that should be ready within a few eeks
[16:52:32] <richsalz> k
[16:52:41] <Mark Risher> redoing it with KV will slow us down somewhat (but it's not a dealbreaker; we're trying to play ball :) )
[16:53:04] <richsalz> k
[16:53:07] Viktor Dukhovni leaves the room
[16:53:07] <Aaron Zauner> @viktor: whats the issue with JSON in postfix? additional deps.?
[16:53:34] <abrotman> The other +1 for KV was the fellow from Exim, I believe.
[16:53:46] <Aaron Zauner> very likely, yea
[16:53:59] <Mark Risher> [mic] Chris, is there a specific KV parser you're endorsing?
[16:54:21] richsalz leaves the room
[16:54:42] rsalz joins the room
[16:54:50] <rsalz> alexey
[16:55:16] <Mark Risher> [mic] Yes, 1 week is a good deadline for the authors. Thank you.
[16:55:19] yuki goto leaves the room
[16:55:38] <Daniel Margolis> Great, thanks!
[16:55:49] <rsalz> okay, open mic.
[16:55:52] <rsalz> yaron sheffer
[16:56:37] <Aaron Zauner> HPKP doesn't work in the real world
[16:56:50] <Aaron Zauner> not so sure about that document either
[16:56:55] <Aaron Zauner> still in favor of TACK :P
[16:57:32] <rsalz> Barry Lieba speaking
[16:58:00] <Daniel Margolis> For references to the previous STS max_age discussion:
[16:58:01] <Daniel Margolis> https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/uta/current/msg01983.html
[16:58:03] <Daniel Margolis> https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/uta/current/maillist.html
[16:58:07] <Daniel Margolis> er
[16:58:20] <rsalz> anything else?
[16:58:26] <rsalz> bye
[16:58:29] <Daniel Margolis> https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/uta/current/msg01995.html
[16:58:32] <Daniel Margolis> Bye!
[16:58:32] <rsalz> see you on the lists and/or at singapore
[16:58:40] <abrotman> Thanks
[16:58:45] rsalz leaves the room: Stream reset by peer
[16:58:47] cw-ietf leaves the room
[16:58:47] <Jim Fenton> thanks
[16:59:08] Sean Leonard leaves the room
[16:59:08] Alex Brotman leaves the room
[16:59:08] Taiji Kimura leaves the room
[16:59:08] Janet Jones leaves the room
[16:59:08] Ranjana Mukhia leaves the room
[16:59:08] Jim Fenton leaves the room
[16:59:09] Aaron Zauner leaves the room
[16:59:09] Mark Risher leaves the room
[16:59:09] Daniel Margolis leaves the room
[16:59:44] m&m leaves the room
[17:03:19] Meetecho leaves the room
[17:05:41] richsalz joins the room
[17:05:49] richsalz leaves the room
[17:39:29] Kurt Andersen leaves the room
[17:39:37] Kurt Andersen joins the room
[17:52:29] Kurt Andersen leaves the room
[20:35:55] abrotman leaves the room
[21:18:28] Kurt Andersen joins the room
[21:26:17] Kurt Andersen leaves the room
Powered by ejabberd - robust, scalable and extensible XMPP server Powered by Erlang Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS!