IETF
uta
uta@jabber.ietf.org
Thursday, March 22, 2018< ^ >
rsalz has set the subject to: UTA at IETF 99
Room Configuration
Room Occupants

GMT+0
[17:58:22] xFq26SRC joins the room
[18:01:28] meetecho joins the room
[18:05:08] Simon Pietro Romano joins the room
[18:05:08] Valery Smyslov joins the room
[18:05:08] Alex Brotman joins the room
[18:05:09] Ken Murchison joins the room
[18:05:10] Mark Risher joins the room
[18:06:03] Valery Smyslov leaves the room
[18:06:05] Santiago Zanella joins the room
[18:06:37] Valery Smyslov joins the room
[18:06:51] Valery Smyslov leaves the room
[18:07:01] Valery Smyslov joins the room
[18:07:31] Ned Freed joins the room
[18:08:05] fenton joins the room
[18:08:16] fenton has set the subject to: UTA at IETF 101
[18:08:27] =JeffH joins the room
[18:08:57] Janet Jones joins the room
[18:09:31] Mark Risher leaves the room
[18:09:43] Valery Smyslov leaves the room
[18:09:49] Sean Leonard joins the room
[18:11:23] dkg joins the room
[18:14:47] <dkg> slide: Major Issues (1)
[18:15:39] yuki Goto joins the room
[18:16:04] Viktor Dukhovni joins the room
[18:16:34] <Ned Freed> Require US-ASCII or UTF-8, done.
[18:16:47] <Ned Freed> Ignoring labels is a BAD IDEA.
[18:17:54] <dkg> Slide: Major issues (2)
[18:18:51] <Viktor Dukhovni> Leading not trailing
[18:18:55] <Viktor Dukhovni> relay
[18:19:31] <Ned Freed> Is there a reason why they were allowed?
[18:20:19] <Ned Freed> Then the solution is obvious...
[18:20:30] <dkg> Slide: Minor Issues (1)
[18:20:53] <dkg> rapid slide progression
[18:20:56] <dkg> Slide: Minor Issues (6)
[18:21:00] <=JeffH> yes, apparently the solution is the one in the slides….
[18:21:01] Santiago Zanella leaves the room
[18:21:25] <Viktor Dukhovni> I'd list two quoted strings in that one.
[18:21:48] <=JeffH> pls specify "that one"
[18:21:56] <dkg> Slide: Minor Issues (8)
[18:22:04] <=JeffH> ?
[18:22:26] <dkg> =JeffH: Viktor means minor issues 6
[18:22:30] <=JeffH> thx
[18:24:47] <dkg> Slide: Minor Issues (9)
[18:26:27] <=JeffH> yes Viktor — was going to suggest u use higher-bandwidth channel.....
[18:26:37] fenton leaves the room
[18:26:37] <=JeffH> :)
[18:27:57] fenton joins the room
[18:31:34] <Viktor Dukhovni> relay: I don't expect any interesting deviations from normal HTTPS practice. So a brief "do it like other HTTPS clients do" is probably fine.
[18:32:40] <Viktor Dukhovni> +1 for martin
[18:36:07] <Viktor Dukhovni> Chris made a mistake
[18:36:15] <dkg> Slide: Minor Issues (11)
[18:36:46] <Viktor Dukhovni> Requiring SNI on the client works and is necessary
[18:37:02] <Viktor Dukhovni> YES!
[18:37:53] <Viktor Dukhovni> Those stacks are not used by MTAs.
[18:37:55] <Viktor Dukhovni> relay
[18:41:12] <dkg> Viktor Dukhovni: is that documented in a specific draft already?
[18:41:16] <dkg> can you point to it?
[18:43:27] <Viktor Dukhovni> No.
[18:43:36] <Viktor Dukhovni> Servers should be liberal.
[18:43:39] <Viktor Dukhovni> relay
[18:43:47] <dkg> Slide: Minor Issues (12)
[18:44:35] <dkg> Viktor Dukhovni: i think you made that point clearly at the mic.
[18:44:47] <dkg> Viktor Dukhovni: do you want that to go into the text of the draft as well?
[18:44:49] <=JeffH> thx DKG
[18:44:56] <dkg> ("at the mic" meant "via meetecho", sorry)
[18:45:10] <Viktor Dukhovni> I'd like to see the SNI text specify liberal server behaviour.
[18:45:20] <Viktor Dukhovni> I.e. continue even if SNI does not match.
[18:45:22] <=JeffH> prob best for viktor to just hold forth on meetecho
[18:45:45] <Viktor Dukhovni> This is important for interop
[18:46:02] <=JeffH> get in querue?
[18:46:55] <dkg> so do you want a MUST NOT ?
[18:47:57] <dkg> Slide: Minor Issues (13)
[18:50:33] Viktor Dukhovni leaves the room
[18:55:13] <dkg> Slide: REQUIRETLS
[18:57:49] <dkg> Slide: REQUIRETLS SMTP option
[18:58:51] Janet Jones leaves the room
[18:59:40] <dkg> Slide: MORE REVIEWS PLEASE!
[19:00:01] Viktor Dukhovni joins the room
[19:01:48] <Ned Freed> The history of TLS in SMTP began with Microsoft shipping a product which out of the box failed whenever STARTTLS was attempted.
[19:03:19] <Viktor Dukhovni> +1, keep it simple!
[19:03:26] <Ned Freed> I'm much more concerned about the ability to control the characteristics of TLS across multiple hops.
[19:03:33] <Viktor Dukhovni> I've repeatedly objected to fine-grained policy
[19:03:36] <Viktor Dukhovni> relay
[19:04:11] <Viktor Dukhovni> +100
[19:04:14] <Viktor Dukhovni> for martin
[19:04:24] <Viktor Dukhovni> The DNSSEC flag is a bad idea.
[19:05:29] <Ned Freed> The essential characteristic of email is that it gets through with nothing else does. Compromising that has to be done carefully.
[19:08:22] fenton leaves the room
[19:08:47] <=JeffH> thx dkg
[19:09:42] Viktor Dukhovni leaves the room
[19:10:23] =JeffH leaves the room
[19:10:37] Alex Brotman leaves the room
[19:10:49] Simon Pietro Romano leaves the room
[19:10:49] Ken Murchison leaves the room
[19:10:49] yuki Goto leaves the room
[19:10:49] Sean Leonard leaves the room
[19:10:49] Ned Freed leaves the room
[19:10:51] meetecho leaves the room
[19:24:15] dkg leaves the room
[22:35:58] fenton joins the room
[22:36:11] fenton leaves the room