Re: [6lowpan] Titles of 6LoWPAN RFCs

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> Thu, 07 July 2011 08:13 UTC

Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 10:13:18 +0200
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
To: Samita Chakrabarti <samita.chakrabarti@ericsson.com>
Cc: "6lowpan@ietf.org" <6lowpan@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [6lowpan] Titles of 6LoWPAN RFCs

Samita,

Thanks for message.

I write some comments below, just two cents worth.

Le 07/07/2011 02:20, Samita Chakrabarti a écrit :
> 6lowpan-nd has 6lowpan specific assumptions - or low power and lossy
>  network assumptions.

ND tailored in the 6lowpan WG has indeed specific modifications.

But, I am not sure what is meant by low power.  I suppose it is not as
if non-6lowpan networks were high-power(?)  It is not as if only
Personal Area Networks (pan in 6lowpan) need low power.  There exist
short radio range low-power networks which are not worn by person.

> It has got some support for 16bit addresses to support 802.15.4
> devices but that part is optional.

This support of 16bit addresses in draft-ietf-6lowpan-nd-17 is
motivated, I believe, by 802.15.4, which is good because it can be
understood.

But, its use in this draft seems strange.

I looked for it.

"16bit" appears precisely once - more should be.
"16 bit" does not appear.
"MAC16" is well defined on page 45 but is never shown in a message
format.  I guess this is because there are too many terms used in this
document about this 16bit address.
"GP16" is well used much throughout the document.  However
its definition is ambiguous because it says:
> GP16: Global Address based on the 802.15.4 Short Address.  This
> address may not be unique.

Is it the GP16 address which may not be unique?  Or is it the 802.15.4
Short Address which may not be unique?

(GP16 must be unique, and IETF has no say about uniqueness of MAC
addresses be them 16bit or 48bit).

Then.

RFC4944 defines an Interface Identifier using the 16 bit PAN ID and the
16 bit short MAC address.  It does _not_ define any Interface Identifier
_not_ using the PAN ID.

In this sense, there may be a conflict between RFC4944 and 6lowpan-nd.

At this point, one may say that the "lowpan" is different than 802.15.4
in that lowpan does not use PAN ID.  Which brings us back to what is a
"lowpan" and, as you say:
> What is the real definition of LLN ?  I suppose, whatever we do,
> RFC4944 and the 6lowpan-nd or lowpan-nd would be tied together.

Tied or exclusive?

Then.

> When a host has configured a non-link-local IPv6 address

Is that a globally-unique address?  Or is it a "GP16" i.e. a global
address which may not be unique? (derived from the 16bit MAC address in
a non-RFC4944 way).

> EUI-64:        64 bits.  This field is used to uniquely identify the
> interface of the registered address by including the EUI-64
> identifier [EUI64] assigned to it unmodified.

I am not sure that reference [EUI64] allows to form EUI64 from a 16bit
short MAC address.  I think that reference recommends to form EUI64 only
from the 48bit MAC addresses.  It says often "MAC-48" and never
"MAC-16".  In this sense, should I believe that 6lowpan-ND Address
Registration Option _never_ registers a IPv6 address derived from a
16bit short MAC address?  I guess I may be wrong, but clarification is
needed.

Moreover, RFC4944 says:
> All 802.15.4 devices have an IEEE EUI-64 address, but 16-bit short
> addresses (Section 3 and Section 12) are also possible.

this "but" further suggesting that 16-bit short addresses are _not_
EUI-64 addresses.

> Address configuration follows [RFC4862].  For an address not derived
> from an EUI-64, the M flag of the RA determines how the address can
> be configured.

This is so complex to understand.

The M flag of RA tells DHCP-vs-RA regardless of the existence of the
term EUI-64.  One could use DHCP to form addresses whose Interface
Identifier is based on EUI-64.

An address _not_ derived from an EUI-64 could be an address using the
16bit short MAC address?  If so, then you mean that only in that
specific case (16bit short MAC addresses) the M flag tells
DHCP-vs-SLAAC?  But the M flag should always tell so, regardless of the
way the Interface Identifier is formed, or even more regardless of how
the EUI-64 is formed (IETF does not define EUI-64).

Are you sure you don't mean "Interface Identifier" when you say
"EUI-64"?  Interface Identifier is extensively used in rfc2464, 4291,
4944, 4861 which are classical for IPv6 implementations.

Or does one mean that when an address is formed from the 16bit short
address then one MUST use DHCP?  I do not agree with this either.  One
could use SLAAC (not DHCP) and short 16-bit addresses very well, as
rfc4944 describes but with PAN-ID.

Does one mean that when an IPv6 address does _not_ use PAN-ID (non
rfc4944) but _does_ use short IPv6 MAC addresses then one MUST use DHCP?
  In that case too, I believe one could still use SLAAC (not necessarily
DHCP) provided one defines a way to form Interface Identifier from the
short 16bit MAC address only (and not use the the PAN ID as RFC4944
does).  I do not know why would one _not_ use PAN ID, and if you do then
please say.

> If the M flag is set in the RA, then DHCPv6 MUST be used to assign
> the address.  If the M flag is not set, then the address can be
> configured by any other means (and duplicate detection is performed
> as part of the registration process).

Is one sure one means so?

First, the M flag mentioned above seems to be the one in RFC4861 (and
not RFC4862 that is cited - rfc4862 says it does not use the M flag page
27).

Second, rfc4862 says "When [M] set, it indicates that addresses are
available via Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol".

Or, what this draft says is "MUST" DHCP, which is much stronger.

Third, rfc4862 says that when M is not set then no information is
available via DHCPv6.  Or, what this draft says is that if M is not set
then the address _can_ be configured by any other means.  This opening
is what this draft says, and not what the rfc4862 says.

I personally disagree with a proposal to use any other dynamic mechanism
than DHCPv6-SLAAC-PPP methods to configure addresses.

> Once an address has been configured it will be registered by
> unicasting a Neighbor Solicitation with the Address Registration
> option to one or more routers.

Does this mean that a node could use SLAAC to configure an address and
then register it to its router with NS?  I do not see why should it use
Address Registration option to achieve that registration.  NA should be
sufficient.  Even a simple RS is often enough.

> A host should choose a sleep time appropriate for its energy
> characteristics, and set a registration lifetime larger than the
> sleep time to ensure the registration is renewed successfully
> (considering e.g. clock drift and additional time for potential
> retransmissions of the re-registration).

But why is not the prefix lifetime used?  I think one could use the
existing prefix lifetime for the purposes of energy saving, instead of
defining new lifetime fields.

Lifetime and in general time is difficult to implement.  We already have
good implementations of ND and all time values are there to be used for
cases such as energy saving and more other cases.

> A host should also consider the stability of the network (how quickly
> the topology changes) when choosing its sleep time (and thus
> registration lifetime).

Yes, the host should consider the stability of the network when choosing
its sleep time.  And the stability of the network could be expressed by
the prefix lifetime, because the prefix is a network prefix; the
lifetime draft proposes is an address lifetime and that is not the
stability of the network but the stability of the address.

> (the maximum Router Lifetime is about 18 hours whereas the maximum
> Registration lifetime is about 45.5 days)

And the maximum reachable/retrans timer, and prefix lifetime are 136years...

In the entire Address Registration discussion - I think existing ND
lifetime fields could be used to achieve the kinds of sleep modes one
needs.  I do not see the necessity of ARO and the registration process.

Alex