Re: [BLISS] Call-completion open issue 1009: The 'retain' option

<Martin.Huelsemann@telekom.de> Tue, 20 July 2010 12:53 UTC

Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 14:53:25 +0200
From: Martin.Huelsemann@telekom.de
To: dworley@avaya.com, bliss@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [BLISS] Call-completion open issue 1009: The 'retain' option

Hi all,

Dale is right, in the case the originating or destination local exchange do not support the retain option according to the SS7 procedure they will terminate the TCAP connection ba sending TC-END. This means without the 'retain supported' indication in the SUBSCRIBE the only problem that could occur is the case where a PSTN user activates CC on the SIP side and the OLE does not support retain. If there is now a error at the OLE and the PSTN does not send the TC-END, the queue entry would be retained at the monitor and there would be some service depriciation. But this will occur only in very few error cases, which become even fewer as in practise all PSTN exchanges do support the retain option.

So as we have covered all major usecases, also the error ones where there is a misunderstanding between originating and terminating side regarding the support of the retain option, and only very few errors on PSTN side could lead to a not optimal executing of CC (it will work nevertheless), I think we can close the retain option issue.

Best regards, Martin