Re: [Fecframe] Adopt ?

Jérôme Lacan <jerome.lacan@isae.fr> Wed, 05 January 2011 08:04 UTC

From: Jérôme Lacan <jerome.lacan@isae.fr>
To: fecframe@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 09:06:35 +0100
Subject: Re: [Fecframe] Adopt ?

Hello,

As a co-author of the draft draft-roca-fecframe-ldpc-01 and researcher in
the domain of coding theory, I fully support the adoption of this draft by
the FECFRAME WG.

Indeed, even though a huge quantity of different LDPC codes were proposed
for the erasure channel in the coding community, the ldpc-staircase
presented in this draft are the only one to have the sufficient maturity to
be adopted by FECFRAME.

Since their first presentation in June 2005 at the RMT WG and their adoption
as RFC 5170 in 2008, both academics and industrials has evaluated them and
validated the excellent performance in terms of correction capability and
processing speed with the proposed implementations.

For these reasons, these codes appear to be a excellent complement of the
Raptor and (probably) the Reed-Solomon in the set of codes adapted by the
FECFRAME WG.

Regards,
Jerome Lacan
Professor, ISAE/LAAS-CNRS, Toulouse, France