Re: [gaia] RG Last Call: draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments-02

jsaldana <jsaldana@unizar.es> Sat, 12 December 2015 16:03 UTC

Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2015 17:03:27 +0100
From: jsaldana <jsaldana@unizar.es>
To: gaia@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [gaia] RG Last Call: draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments-02

Hi, Arjuna and all,

In my opinion, in order to clarify if "Alternative network" =
"Complementary network", we should answer two questions:

A) Are all "Alternative networks" also "Complementary networks"?

In the draft we are considering five kinds of networks:

1 Community Networks
2 Wireless Internet Service Providers WISPs
3 Shared infrastructure model
4 Crowdshared approaches, led by the people and third party stakeholders

5 Testbeds for research purposes

In the case of 4, it is clear that they are a "complement," since they
share the infrastructure and may reduce the CAPEX of the operator.

In the case of 1, they may become a "complement". Is this currently
happening?

I don't think that WISPs (2) usually share their infrastructure with
traditional operators. Am I right?

B) Are all "Complementary networks" also "Alternative networks"?

I think for example in the Wi-Fi network of an airport. This network can
be considered as "complementary", because it may be used to offload data
from the mobile network. But it is not "alternative" (it is not included
in the draft), because it may be promoted by a traditional operator (not
by the people), etc.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Jose