Re: [http-state] Summary of discussion of Ticket 5 (Cookie ordering)

Adam Barth <ietf@adambarth.com> Sun, 11 April 2010 16:55 UTC

From: Adam Barth <ietf@adambarth.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 09:54:54 -0700
To: http-state <http-state@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [http-state] Summary of discussion of Ticket 5 (Cookie ordering)

In the two months since I sent this email, there hasn't been a whole
lot more discussion on this topic.  We discussed the issue at the
working group meeting at IETF77.  Unfortunately, Daniel Stenberg
wasn't in attendance, so we missed out on his perspective.

A number of people (apologies for not recalling who) thought it was
important to specify the ordering.  Various folks had various ideas
about which ordering to use, although most agreed that the specific
ordering is less important than the need to specify an ordering.

My perspective is that we can debate endlessly which ordering to use
even though the particular ordering we choose doesn't matter nearly as
much as getting user agents to interoperate on some ordering.
Therefore, I'm going to leave the ordering requirement in the draft
and specify the ordering that Firefox (and some other browsers) use.
(Note that the draft admonishes server operators not to rely upon the
ordering.)

Adam