Re: [i2rs] Alissa Cooper's Discuss on draft-ietf-i2rs-protocol-security-requirements-06: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT) - resending comment

"Susan Hares" <shares@ndzh.com> Thu, 18 August 2016 02:13 UTC

From: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>
To: 'Alia Atlas' <akatlas@gmail.com>, 'Alissa Cooper' <alissa@cooperw.in>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 22:11:52 -0400
Cc: 'Jeffrey Haas' <jhaas@pfrc.org>, i2rs@ietf.org, draft-ietf-i2rs-protocol-security-requirements@ietf.org, 'The IESG' <iesg@ietf.org>, i2rs-chairs@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [i2rs] Alissa Cooper's Discuss on draft-ietf-i2rs-protocol-security-requirements-06: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT) - resending comment

Alia and Alissa:

Resending – this comment in case it got ost

------------------------

On the DISCUSS:

Operators indicated that there are events which they will want to send publically.   One example of such an event is the route establishment/loss (such as the routes available to http://www.routeviews.org/ or looking glass sites).   This data is specific route information that is publically known.

Right now this information requires a BGP connection, or data from a BGP connection.   In the future, it would simply require an I2RS client to have a connection to an I2RS agent.

                       Insecure

  I2RS Client=======I2RS Agent

This data can also be distributed in tiers – where a massive amount of clients connect to an I2RS agent which draws its information in a proxy mode:

                  Insecure    Proxy-model                           secure

 I2RS client-1=========  I2RS Agent /I2RS client ----------------------- I2RS Agent

I2RS client-2===========|

Does this provide you enough information to resolve your discuss or do you have additional questions?

Sue

On the editorial