Re: [Idnet] Summary 20170814 & IDN dedicated session call for case

Stenio Fernandes <sflf@cin.ufpe.br> Fri, 18 August 2017 17:15 UTC

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id :subject:to:cc; bh=E5+KR5TwsF+pDiMFTtxSLDV4AXeI+iQZiaXcVlD1PlQ=; b=FfRr7XhZ6JfI3yWcX9KdXs8WPTp5OzEHmOE9w9Y/M+sLrx8cDcB8c7Nsa4XtA+UKRs Rbwhnd5yYpoOpHkHLY2aR7wequP61x/9fFWtX4sTwSXRJXoOQzNxHRgFuk6D0V6XhF3q 1X94ZDsz1y7g97jStPUc8xNRyvTNhhjkZsV4H9lxNzIVHNe9PjNlcR1UKG+q/Se/g/7z GWCGUQK5rKL28JY5vN+65OTkUJZ8gLd05XGsq7d68QGt1esRPBa5HyzS415mMYeldg4D DVIPPFrrZtOMPiT6TLcfTbfMreSDP0JQcBu0vztEVamyiXo/7KAy3I/HA7ArI6SvQIAr N3nQ==
X-Google-DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=1e100.net; s=20161025; h=x-gm-message-state:mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:from :date:message-id:subject:to:cc; bh=E5+KR5TwsF+pDiMFTtxSLDV4AXeI+iQZiaXcVlD1PlQ=; b=oB2a6XnRo+1itxk9xmlTV2ZZEB1WDlIii/SidtCXJx/7BxH2TyYuNEaERwtqfIxFjd x/zfvaMCkUi0UJVFgme6yEfWH+ETJA+xmkHAQTGLFDWz1XdiN5CE5a5EiDMPAU373WIB QQ7FJ08yUqxKplPwsgNJbnNPbGNNzp1NewrwleOPwTDSLAtIpYoOAmMTz+2GIHepOMyg qHHvRDYvcQ7dS2p1aZKgqT5RQJXkGMDCYR9mK3XwZgvdtb5SkleANIjSm4MwxjmiCU62 XHDtLlMMR1O6A7zF3juWQHrMSo9L3erHo0aTH2HiIUiGwSvaSHHgAbWLYwIv2ZM/oi94 veUA==
Sender: steniofernandes@gmail.com
From: Stenio Fernandes <sflf@cin.ufpe.br>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2017 13:14:17 -0400
To: yanshen <yanshen@huawei.com>
Cc: Haoyu song <haoyu.song@huawei.com>, "idnet@ietf.org" <idnet@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Idnet] Summary 20170814 & IDN dedicated session call for case

Hi Yansen et al.

Here is my take on the anomaly detection use case (2.6). I know that I was
supposed to write just 'rough thoughts and requirements', but I decided to
write in advance regarding the upcoming tasks (sep/oct).

Definitions:

First, it is important to understand that the scientific literature allows
different names for anomaly detection, such as outlier detection, novelty
detection, noise detection, deviation detection, or mining exception. This
not so strict naming also brings a number of definitions for what could be
considered as an outlier or anomaly. A more general definition for an
outlier is an observation that is somewhat inconsistent when compared to
the remainder of the set of observations. In the specific case of a network
anomaly, such observation may cause network failures and performance
problems such as congestions and denial of services (DOS).

Anomalies can be generally classified into three categories, namely point,
contextual, and collective. Point anomaly is related to a single
observation whereas collective anomaly is related to a series of
observations. For instance, a SYN Flood attack can be considered a
collective anomaly since a single TCP SYN segment is valid and is not
considered a point anomaly. Contextual anomaly is the interpretation
whether the point or collective anomaly is, in fact, an anomaly given a
proper context.

Applications:

Abnormal behavior from packets or streams of packets (flows) requires
precise and, in some cases, quick detection so that the network could react
and take appropriate measures to mitigate its short and long term effects.
Ideally, the network must be intelligent enough to automatically learn what
is normal traffic so it could adapt to any abnormal traffic patterns,
including zero-day attacks. Of course, not all anomalies come from
intentional attacks. Abnormal behavior could also come from
misconfiguration or malfunctions in the network.

Data / Features:

Most techniques for anomaly detection use features extracted from transport
or network layer data, mainly due to the widespread adoption of
IPFIX/NetFlow on routers/switches. It is possible to create new variables
(a.k.a. Feature Engineering in the data mining/machine learning lingo) from
the raw data, such as packet or flow inter-arrival times. Depending on the
measurement process one could also include data from other Internet layers
to make the detection more accurate. One must be aware that scalability is
always a concern when dealing with massive amount of data.

The types and characteristics of the input data often limit the choices of
techniques that could be used for anomaly detection. Some techniques
require labeled data (i.e., using prior knowledge to identify an
observation as normal or abnormal), which in most cases requires enormous
processing efforts.

Techniques:

Methods for anomaly detection come from several fields and their
subdisciplines, such as Statistics, Machine Learning, Data Mining,
Information Theory, Spectral Theory, and the like. Therefore, there are a
number of techniques to handle (i.e., detection and/or removal) abnormal
observations. As the main scope and interest of IDNET are on techniques
that can learn from the incoming network traffic and events, the
behavioral-based anomaly detection ones seem the best fit.

Behavioral-based anomaly detection methods are usually classified as
supervised, semi-supervised, or unsupervised, depending on the availability
of labeled data for the training phase. Supervised and semi-supervised
learning require labeled data whereas unsupervised learning is able to work
with unlabeled data.

Unsupervised anomaly detection techniques create initially a region (e.g.,
a cluster in an n-dimensional hyperspace) that represents the limits of a
normal behavior so that any observation beyond those bounds is considered
an anomaly. They can easily (automatically) adapt to changes in the
incoming network traffic/events.

As far as we are concerned to recent systems for anomaly detection, there
is a clear trending on hybrid techniques (i.e., the combination of two or
more techniques) to overcome well-known limitations of each individual
class of techniques, such as low precision/recall, high processing
overhead, and the like. This means in general building a system with two or
more phases that combines supervised, semi-supervised, and unsupervised
learning in sequence.

The outputs of anomaly detection techniques can be scores and/or labels. Of
course, the objectives of the classification problem (i.e., either single
class or multiclass) define their outputs. Therefore, given the type of
classification problem, a number of methods can be applied, such as the
ones based on unsupervised clustering.

Challenges:

Current challenges for network anomaly detection includes i) dealing with
high dimensional data, class imbalance, and noise, ii) performing fast and
accurate feature engineering, iii) ensuring cluster homogeneity, iv)
lowering false alarm rate, and v) handling sequential, spatial, and graph
data simultaneously.

Cheers,

Stenio