Re: [Idr] AD Review of draft-ietf-idr-bgp-extended-messages-20

"Susan Hares" <shares@ndzh.com> Sun, 05 March 2017 20:22 UTC

From: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>
To: 'Randy Bush' <randy@psg.com>, "'Alvaro Retana (aretana)'" <aretana@cisco.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2017 15:17:35 -0500
Cc: idr-chairs@ietf.org, draft-ietf-idr-bgp-extended-messages@ietf.org, idr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Idr] AD Review of draft-ietf-idr-bgp-extended-messages-20

Randy and Alvaro:

A few point have raised my disagreement regarding the AD reviews.   At this
point, the text is at odds with RFC4271.   If you feel RFC4271, does not
speak about these issues - you may have missed why the BGP FSM is there.
Please change your text.

Sue

Point 1 -
===============
Alvaro:
>   An implementation that advertises support for BGP Extended Messages
> MUST be capable of receiving an UPDATE message with a length up to
 > and including 65535 octets.

Randy:
>like many MUSTs, there is no direct enforcement, only the ability to
diagnose blame in the case of failure and have the resulting tac ticket be
classified as an enhancement request :)

Sue:  Normally, the diagnosis comes from testers that people run prior to
putting things in the field (E.g. IXIA).   Part of BGP implementation
testing is a length BGP FSM test with a tester.
-------------
Point 2:   Error handling is precisely defined in the BGP FSM.  You need to
tag the Extended message reception to the BGP Header error for all of this
to work.

Randy's comment:
Randy: "ok, jgs, what did you mean by "any speaker that treats an improper
extended message as a fatal error," and what did you think we should do
about it.  neither 4271 not 7606 tell what to do with a fatal error per se."

Sue's response:
Any messages that exceeds 4096 for BGP speaker will result in a BGP state
machine event of BGP Header error (event 21,  BGP state machine, page 49).
Therefore,  the error procedures would be based on this even in the BGP FSM
based on state.    The RFC4271 error handling procedures are defined by the
BGP FSM based on the current state .   Please walk through the BGP FSM to
fine the precise action based on state.  Implementations do adhere to it.
There are options - so please read the entire section.

Text from version 21

   A BGP speaker that has the ability to use Extended Messages but has
   not advertised the BGP Extended Messages capability, presumably due
   to configuration, SHOULD NOT accept an Extended Message.  A speaker
   MAY implement a more liberal policy and accept Extended Messages,
   even from a peer to which it has not advertised the capability, in
   the interest of preserving the BGP session if at all possible.

   A BGP speaker that does not advertise the BGP Extended Messages
   capability might also genuinely not support Extended Messages.  Such
   a speaker would be expected to follow the error handling procedures
   of [RFC4271] if it receives an Extended Message.  Similarly, any
   speaker that treats an improper Extended Message as a fatal error,
   MUST treat it similarly.

   The inconsistency between the local and remote BGP speakers MUST be
   flagged to the network operator through standard operational
   interfaces.  The information should include the NLRI and as much
   relevant information as reasonably possible.

Replacement text.

    A BGP speaker that has the ability to use Extended Messages but has
   not advertised the BGP Extended Messages capability, presumably due
   to configuration, SHOULD NOT accept an Extended Message.
   A BGP speaker that does not advertise the BGP Extended Messages
   capability might also genuinely not support Extended Messages.
   If the BGP speaker does not accept an extended messages, the
   BGP speaker MUST indicate a BGP Header error (event 21) to the
   BGP finite state machine (FSM).

=========================

#3  - on reporting this error - The HEADER length error is reported as part
of the BGP Statement machine for errors.

Why are we going through additional issues rather than stay with the BGP
Finite state machine.  Either the Length field is correct, or it is not.
If you have an erroneous length for what is configured, you drop it.   Most
people include the erroneous header length and check the BGP speakers.   Why
are you making this more complicated?

If you want to enforce the MUST, then we must open the BGP FSM.

========================
#4 - on the limit the message size, this was to be a warning to BESS or
other groups to not defined BGP applications which not stuff more junk in
than the BGP packet size can hold.

> P4. I don't understand what this means: "Applications generating
> messages which might be encapsulated within BGP messages MUST limit
> the size of their payload to take into account the maximum message
> size.

It is a social warning, like the cancer warning on cigarettes.   I not in
favor of social warnings in a base technical specification.   Author/AD can
remove.

Sue Hares