New work proposals for IETF 101 due Feb 2

IETF Chair <chair@ietf.org> Mon, 22 January 2018 17:25 UTC

From: IETF Chair <chair@ietf.org>
Subject: New work proposals for IETF 101 due Feb 2
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 12:25:31 -0500
Cc: IETF <ietf@ietf.org>
To: IETF Announcement List <ietf-announce@ietf.org>

I wanted to remind everyone that the deadline to submit Birds of a Feather (BoF) proposals for IETF 101 is rapidly approaching: Friday, February 2 at 23:59 UTC. Hopefully those whose have been working on ideas that seem like they need to extend an existing working group’s charter, need a new working group altogether, or need some dedicated face-to-face discussion in the community have already been talking to your area directors [1] about these proposals. If not, please do so right away! And please take a look at the recommendations in RFC 5434 [2] about how to have a successful BoF.

Based on community discussion the IESG kicked off last fall [3], we have updated the BoF wiki [4] to request some additional information from BoF proponents. In addition to the information we require about every BoF proposal, proponents are also encouraged to do the following in their BoF wiki entries:

- List any protocols or practices that already exist in the space in which the new work is being proposed.
- List any modifications to existing protocols or practices that will be required by the new work.
- List any entirely new protocols or practices that will be required by the new work.
- List any open source projects implementing the new work.

This information will allow the IESG, with the IAB’s assistance, to make more informed decisions more quickly about BoF proposals.

Thanks,
Alissa Cooper
IETF Chair

[1] https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/members/ <https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/members/>