Re: [its] V2I security problems

"Konstantin A. Khait" <khait@componentality.com> Mon, 14 October 2013 20:06 UTC

Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 00:06:13 +0400
From: "Konstantin A. Khait" <khait@componentality.com>
To: Rex Buddenberg <buddenbergr@gmail.com>
Cc: Alexander Pinaev <apinaev@gmail.com>, Alison Chaiken <alison@she-devel.com>, "its@ietf.org" <its@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [its] V2I security problems

Re: [its] V2I security problems No, no, no... I didn't mean that it is just an encryption issue. It is definitely strange that somebody simply propagates CAN to wireless communication area. Nobody took care of CAN security because it was designed as a wired bus for [in-particular] in-vehicle use. Moreover, it seems rather hard and expensive to make CAN secure, because encryption will affect the bus logic: either conflicts resolution approach or message priority.
It seems to me, the old school design of such things assumes a gateway between wireless portion and CAN bus which proceeds wireless commands and issues CAN messages. The set of commands is limited by required functions, so there's no way to provoke random CAN message. In this case wireless channel should be secured with using regular pre-shared or more probable public key approach and in-vehicle CAN remains unsecured.
What I meant, "old school design" is nothing if it is not an industry standard. It should be a common approach how to send functional data over the air and this standard must include a security method. So, it shall be like wireless MOST bus where each functional block has limited set of methods and properties predefined in the corresponded standard. MOST is unsecured (because it is again in-vehicle technology), but it is just an example. Wireless method should be based on something common (I'd say 802.11) and use corresponded security provisioning approaches.

Thanks,
Kostia

-----

-----