[lisp] Bandwidth savings with LISP

"Jose Saldana" <jsaldana@unizar.es> Thu, 23 June 2016 09:15 UTC

From: Jose Saldana <jsaldana@unizar.es>
To: lisp@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 11:11:29 +0200
Cc: 'José Ruiz Mas' <jruiz@unizar.es>
Subject: [lisp] Bandwidth savings with LISP

Hi all,

As you may know, we recently submitted a draft (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-saldana-lisp-compress-mux/) with a proposal allowing bandwidth and pps reductions.

The idea is to send together a number of small packets, which are in the buffer of an ITR and have the same ETR as destination, into a single packet. Therefore, they will share a single LISP header. And this can be combined with ROHC (header compression).

We have a running implementation, based on LISPMob (https://github.com/Simplemux/lispmob-with-simplemux), which we have used to run some tests

This is a summary of the results.

- When small packets (100 bytes) are sent, up to 63% of throughput increase can be observed (in our example, we pass from 550kbps to 910kbps).

- In the case of securing the LISP tunnel with IPSec, the increase can be 935 (from 470kbps to 870kbps).

You can find more detailed information in this presentation: http://es.slideshare.net/josemariasaldana/header-compression-and-multiplexing-in-lisp

Your feedback will be highly appreciated.

Best regards,

The authors