Re: [manet] Real-life deployment of MANETs

"Manos Antonakakis" <manos@gatech.edu> Mon, 26 March 2007 22:57 UTC

Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 18:57:17 -0400
From: Manos Antonakakis <manos@gatech.edu>
To: Sudheendra Murthy <sudhi@asu.edu>
Subject: Re: [manet] Real-life deployment of MANETs
Cc: manet@ietf.org

Sudhi,

Maybe you want to read this paper;
Huang, E., Hu, W., Crowcroft, J., and Wassell, I. 2005. Towards commercial
mobile ad hoc network applications: a radio dispatch system. In *Proceedings
of the 6th ACM international Symposium on Mobile Ad Hoc Networking and
Computing* (Urbana-Champaign, IL, USA, May 25 - 27, 2005). MobiHoc '05.

I believe that currently the MANETs are not mature enough in order to be
fully commercialized. However, MANETs could be used as back up solutions
when the primary wired (or wireless) network fails. In order to
commercialize the MANETs you have to provide a pretty good level of network
security as well.

Take care,

Manos

On 3/26/07, Gus Amouris <amouris@xprtsol.com> wrote:

>  Currently, the military is the largest user of MANET technology. Military
> communication networks rely almost exclusively on MANET technology due to
> the lack of infrastructure and the need to get around single points of
> failure.
>
> Regarding real commercial/business MANET applications and opportunities
> for usage, vehicular (V2V) and airborne communication networks appear to be
> 2 prominent upcoming commercial applications of MANET technology.  Refer to
> the following links for additional info:
> http://www.telematicsjournal.com/content/newsfeed/9780.html
> http://www.car-to-car.org
> http://www.technologyreview.com/read_article.aspx?id=14407&ch=infotech
>
> http://spacecom.grc.nasa.gov/icnsconf/docs/2006/10_Session_C1/02-McNary.pdf
>
> Also, if you just google 'wireless ad-hoc mesh network' you'll see a ton
> of hits regarding applications and companies trying to commercialize MANET
> technology right now as an extension to the cellular network.
>
> Regards,
> Gus
>

> Sudheendra Murthy wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I have a question regarding the deployment of Mobile Ad hoc Networks
> (MANETs) in real life. In the past 10 years, there has been tremendous
> research attention towards MANETs. There have been thousands of research
> publications on various issues in MANETs including routing, mobility,
> channel assignment, power control, etc. Despite this fact, we don't hear of
> any popular MANET application being used in real life. Does anyone know of
> any MANET application  currently being used anywhere ? Please note that I am
> not referring to any of the MANET test beds set up in universities. If there
> are no real life  applications, what are the reasons for this ? Could this
> be due to the lack of good business ideas surrounding MANETs or
> technological barriers to the deployment of MANETs ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sudhi.

Manos Antonakakis
Graduate Student, Computer Science
Georgia Tech Information Security Center
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~manos