Re: [manet] MANET APPLICATION IN Business

"Buraiky, Salah M." <salah.buraiky.1@aramco.com> Sat, 30 August 2008 10:29 UTC

From: "Buraiky, Salah M." <salah.buraiky.1@aramco.com>
To: "manet@ietf.org" <manet@ietf.org>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 13:26:56 +0300
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [manet] MANET APPLICATION IN Business
Sender: manet-bounces@ietf.org

Hi all,

The ship example below is an example of a MANET application scenario that we have experienced in Saudi Aramco. We have a maintenance barge that is primarily connected to the network via a relatively low-speed VSAT (satellite) link but could take advantage of the proximity to infrastructure to connect via WiMax and achieve higher data rates and lower latency. It is true that we're currently using OSPF for that, but that's just because the area where this particular ship roams within is confined in a way that enables us to do so using a distributed VLAN. A more flexible and general design to opportunistically take advantage of the vicinity to fixed communication facilities (hosted in a fiber connected offshore platform) would require a MANET protocol. A MANET protocol would also enable maintenance and security boats to relay traffic through boats closer to the maintenance ship or the fixed infrastructure (usually an offshore platform). This is a very real business application where the value of MANET is in opportunistically establishing better connectivity for moving vessels.

Salah M. S. Al-Buraiky
Data Network Engineering Division
Saudi Aramco