Re: [MEDIACTRL] Call for country-specific tones expert

Christian Groves <Christian.Groves@nteczone.com> Mon, 23 November 2009 05:54 UTC

Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 16:53:44 +1100
From: Christian Groves <Christian.Groves@nteczone.com>
To: Spencer Dawkins <spencer@wonderhamster.org>
Cc: mediactrl@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MEDIACTRL] Call for country-specific tones expert

Hello Spencer,

I'm not exactly sure of the scope of the tones that are required to be
supported by media control. I wasn't at Hiroshima so I'm not sure what
is required.

At least in H.248 there are packages defined for alerting, line test,
calling progress, conferencing, business tones etc. So there's a wide range.

In general re-using H.248 defined tones would certainly make
interworking between SIP and H.248 easier. A Media Controller could
re-use H.248 codes rather than having to maintain some sort of mapping
table.

H.248 defines a basic tone sending/reception capabilities in the H.248.1
Annex E "Tone Generator" and "Tone Detection" Packages. Tones are
typically defined as extensions to these packages. Similar Tones are
typically grouped into packages. The packageID and SignalID uniquely
identify the tones. These packages are defined in several
Recommendations such as the ones specified by the previous email.
Additionally ITU-T Q.1950  (http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-Q.1950/en)
contains packages on:
- Basic call progress tones generator with directionality
- Expanded call progress tones generator package
- Basic services tones generation package
- Expanded services tones generation package
- Intrusion Tones Generation Package
- Business tones generation package

Another benefit of using H.248 is that the supported sets of tones can
be specified using wildcarding. For example: if a media server wanted to
indicate the supported of all the tones in the business tones generation
package rather than listing each of the four tones (biztn/ofque,
biztn/erwt, biztn/ddt, biztn/idt) it could simply specify (biztn/*).

A further benefit is that if people come up with additional tones the
mechanism to define and register these with IANA already exists. This
reduces the need to define a process in mediacntrl.

Regards, Christian