Re: [MMUSIC] Draft new version: draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-bundle-negotiation-06

Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org> Wed, 09 April 2014 10:55 UTC

From: Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2014 11:55:14 +0100
To: Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>
Cc: "mmusic (E-mail)" <mmusic@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Draft new version: draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-bundle-negotiation-06

Christer,

Section 8.1.1 starts:

   By default, all RTP based media within a BUNDLE group belong to a
   single RTP session [RFC3550].  Multiple BUNDLE groups will form
   multiple RTP Sessions.

   NOTE: The usage of multiple RTP sessions within a BUNDLE group, or
   the usage of a single RTP session that spans over multiple BUNDLE
   groups, is outside the scope of this specification.  Other
   specification needs to extend the BUNDLE mechanism in order to allow
   such usages.

   When a single RTP session is used, all bundled "m=" lines
   representing RTP based media share a single SSRC numbering space
   [RFC3550].

I suggest rephrasing this as:

   All RTP-based media within a single BUNDLE group belong to a
   single RTP session [RFC3550]. Multiple BUNDLE groups will form
   multiple RTP sessions, one per bundle group.

   Since a single RTP session is used for each bundle group, all
   “m=“ lines representing RTP-based media in a bundle group will
   share a single SSRC numbering space [RFC3550].

Similarly, in the Introduction, I suggest changing:

   The default assumption is that all Real-Time Protocol (RTP) [RFC3550]
   based media flows associated with a BUNDLE group belong to the same
   RTP Session [RFC3550].  Future extensions can change that assumption.

   All Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) [RFC3550] based media flows
   associated with a single BUNDLE group belong to a single RTP session
   [RFC3550].

The rationale for this change is that supporting multiple RTP sessions on a single 5-tuple is a significant change to RTP, for example to introduce a shim-layer, that did not receive consensus in AVTCORE. These changes align the bundle draft with that decision, and reword the text for clarity.

Colin