Re: [OAUTH-WG] Rename callback => callback_uri

Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com> Fri, 16 April 2010 21:12 UTC

From: Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com>
To: Evan Gilbert <uidude@google.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 14:11:48 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: Naitik Shah <naitik@facebook.com>, OAuth WG <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Rename callback => callback_uri

I'll just go with redirect_uri.

EHL

On 4/16/10 1:57 PM, "Evan Gilbert" <uidude@google.com> wrote:

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 1:45 PM, Eran Hammer-Lahav <eran@hueniverse.com> wrote:
We should use the right term, not just the less conflicting term.

The Web Callback flow uses a callback from the server to the client - this is not a redirection. The User-Agent flow uses a redirection which is fundamentally different from a callback.

   callback
         An absolute URI to which the authorization server will redirect
         the end user back when the end user authorization step is
         completed.  The authorization server MAY require the client to
         pre-register their callback URI.

   redirection
         An absolute URI to which the authorization server will redirect
         the user-agent to when the end user authorization step is
         completed.  The authorization server SHOULD require the client
         to pre-register their redirection URI.

These look the same to me, and "redirect_uri/url" works. Open to other terms.

If you don't want to use callback and want to use the same name for both, it needs to be something more generic like client_uri.

EHL