Re: [OAUTH-WG] About Big Brother and draft-campbell-oauth-resource-indicators-00

Denis <denis.ietf@free.fr> Tue, 22 November 2016 20:44 UTC

To: George Fletcher <gffletch@aol.com>, John Bradley <ve7jtb@ve7jtb.com>
From: Denis <denis.ietf@free.fr>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 21:44:07 +0100
Cc: oauth@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] About Big Brother and draft-campbell-oauth-resource-indicators-00

Hi George,

As you say "It's unclear from the spec, how the RS should do audience
restriction".

There are two cases where I can see a benefit:

a) if the user is younger than 18, the IdP knows it and can filter the
URIs using a black list of sites that are not allowed to minors.
b) if the user is using an IdP server from his employer, the employer
can filter the URI using a white list of sites that are allowed.

However, if the user is older than 18 and is using an independent IdP
(e.g. from his bank), no filtering should be done
and thus a "non-URI value" should/may/can be used.

So I withdraw my previous statement saying that " The use of an absolute
URI should be deprecated".

Also take note that there is a need to include a target RS in an access
token *only if* the access token might be forwarded
to another RS,

I believe that, in any case, a "privacy considerations" section should
be added to inform the reader about the pros and the cons.

Denis