Re: [OSPF] ABR/ASBR with clear R-bit?

"Michael Barnes" <michael_barnes@usa.net> Tue, 15 May 2012 15:07 UTC

Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 08:07:22 -0700
From: Michael Barnes <michael_barnes@usa.net>
To: tanmoy.kundu@huawei.com
Cc: ospf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [OSPF] ABR/ASBR with clear R-bit?

Hi Tanmoy,

------ Original Message ------
From: Tanmoy <tanmoy.kundu@huawei.com>
To: "'Mike Dubrovskiy (mdubrovs)'" <mdubrovs@cisco.com>, 'Michael Barnes'
<michael_barnes@usa.net>Cc: ospf@ietf.org

> Hi Micheal/Mike,
>
> @Michael : Considering your suggestion I have one question, during SPF all
> router would add the Router with R-Bit clear as Stub node. Hence there is
no
> chance where this router being used as transit for forwarding address.

This is true when the router is in the same area as the ASBR. However, if the
router is in another area then it does not have a way to know if the
inter-area route transits the ASBR or is reachable through another router in
that area.

> @Mike : we shall not consider this router to give up the ABR/ASBR status.
As
> Michael said, the router might need to advertise its own directly connected
> routes as Inter or ASE/NSSA routes.
>
> I have one suggestion, since the Originator will know BEST about the routes
> its originating, we shall put some restrictions there.
> Such as..
>  [1] Router with R-bit clear is allowed to originate AS-External/NSSA LSA
> for directly connected routes ONLY.
>  [2] Router with R-bit clear is allowed to originate inter aera LSA to
other
> areas for the directly connected routes ONLY.

The two above are essentially the same as what I suggested in my first e-mail
of the thread. :-)

>  [3] For all other AS-External/NSSA destination where there is a valid
> Forwarding address can be derived, the LSA should be originated.
> All other sources MUST NOT be originated by the Router with R-Bit Clear.

How does the ASBR know if the FA is reachable not via itself? Should it do
special type of SPF calculation to see if there is some other path?

Thanks,
Michael