Re: [Rmt] About Flute-revised open points

<Rod.Walsh@nokia.com> Wed, 13 April 2011 09:06 UTC

From: Rod.Walsh@nokia.com
To: ietfdbh@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 11:04:50 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com, rmt@ietf.org, brian.adamson@nrl.navy.mil
Subject: Re: [Rmt] About Flute-revised open points

In theory, with the long to byte change problem may only occur with an experimental sender sending a >255 value to a revised receiver parsing only 8bit values. However, you would (generally) expect a revised receiver to reject the XML based on the namespace, or else understand that it is not a 'pure revised' receiver and adapt.

In practice the fec value in that field is spec'ed at 8bit and any number above 255 would not be a registered value, and so would be rejected by an experimental receiver too. (At the value-mapping stage rather than the XML parsing stage). I.e. An experimental sender will not pollute that field with values greater than would fit byte regardless of whether the receiver XML parser admits longs or only bytes.

Hence my suggestion that this "is fine". (Even if unaware why the change happened, I expect the design thinking took this "no harm in practice" aspect into account).

Did I make an error?

Cheers, Rod.