Re: [rtcweb] Comment on draft-ietf-rtcweb-overview-02 (Browser RTC trapezoid)

"Ravindran Parthasarathi" <pravindran@sonusnet.com> Wed, 19 October 2011 21:39 UTC

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 03:09:13 +0530
From: Ravindran Parthasarathi <pravindran@sonusnet.com>
To: Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc@aliax.net>
Cc: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Comment on draft-ietf-rtcweb-overview-02 (Browser RTC trapezoid)

Inaki,

There are fundamentally two aspects in RTCWeb:

1) (on-wire) protocol mechanism - How protocol is designed between RTCWeb client (browser) and RTCWeb server, RTCWeb client and RTCWeb client. The protocol design does not focus on RTCWeb client only but also in RTCWeb server because the protocol has to be implemented in both entities. IOW, it is not 20 lines of JavaScript but impact of RTCWeb server design has to be noted as well. Here IETF has significant role and it has to come up with best protocol design between RTCWeb entities.

2) API design (JavaScript in browser) - Browser provides RTCWeb client framework and exposes its API as JavaScript and JavaScript is the language/script of choice for browsers. The interaction is between browser and JavaScript only. IMO, W3C plays the vital role in coming up with best API set and also, there is no on-wire stuff here. Here, the discussion focus is whether low level API or ROAP API or any other high level API. Of course, I have less experience in JavaScript based API design. Please note that I have designed and worked in protocol framework in other languages like C, TCL.

My comment on "SIP over websocket is an overkill" is purely based on (on-wire) protocol mechanism and it is nothing do with API design. Irrespective of whether "SIP over websocket" is implemented in browser or in JavaScript or in other language, it is not the best protocol design. Hope this clarifies my stance.

Thanks
Partha