[secdir] Secdir review of draft-ietf-ccamp-flexible-grid-ospf-ext-07

Catherine Meadows <catherine.meadows@nrl.navy.mil> Thu, 19 January 2017 23:24 UTC

From: Catherine Meadows <catherine.meadows@nrl.navy.mil>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 18:24:31 -0500
To: iesg@ietf.org, secdir@ietf.org, draft-ietf-ccamp-flexible-grid-ospf-ext.all@ietf.org
Subject: [secdir] Secdir review of draft-ietf-ccamp-flexible-grid-ospf-ext-07

IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat

This document describes extensions to the Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) Traffic-Engineering (TE) protocol to support GPLS control of networks that include devices that use
the new flexible optical grid introduced by the International Telecommunication Union Telecommunications Standardization Sector (ITU-T). It defines GLMPS OSPF-TE extensions that
support advertising available frequency ranges for flex-grid links.

In the Security Considerations section, the authors point out that this document extends RFCs [RFC3630] and [RFC7580] to carry flex-grid specific information in OSPF Opaque LSAs.
Thus this document does not introduce any new security considerations beyond previous RFCs  specifying these LSAs, and the security mechanisms described in [RFC2328] applying
to these mechanisms still apply.

I think this is a valid point, and well expressed.  However, when I looked through the document (using both manual and automatic search methods) I was surprised to find that no explicit mention of
OSPF Opaque LSAs other than in the Security Considerations section.  It would be helpful to have a specific mention of them in the body of the document, and a brief discussion of how
they are used to implement the extensions.  This would give a the reader a better understanding of how the Security Considerations section relates to the rest of the document.

Other than that, I think the document is ready.

Cathy Meadows

Catherine Meadows
Naval Research Laboratory
Code 5543