Re: [sipcore] Updated 4244bis and new call flow document

Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com> Fri, 23 July 2010 14:11 UTC

Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 10:12:07 -0400
From: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
To: "DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <keith.drage@alcatel-lucent.com>
Cc: "sipcore@ietf.org" <sipcore@ietf.org>, "R.Jesske@telekom.de" <R.Jesske@telekom.de>
Subject: Re: [sipcore] Updated 4244bis and new call flow document

Keith,

You raise a good point. It forced me to go back and review 3323 and 3325.

3323 defines a "privacy service" which the UAC can use to assist it in
obtaining privacy. The UAC is expected to arrange for its requests to be
routed through a privacy service.

The notion of trust domain is introduced in 3325. It introduces the "id"
privacy value, which is to be removed at the boundary of the trust
domain, but not before then. It doesn't say anything about where privacy
services exist in the network. Its my assumption that there must be a
privacy service on the boundary of the trust domain that acts on the
"id" privacy type. But this is not explict. And even if this is implied,
its hard to say if it would be a full privacy service that can be
counted upon to act upon other privacy types in the request.

Hence, a UAC that wishes "header" or "session" privacy has nothing
better to go on than 3323, which recommends that it route its outbound
request directly to a privacy service. If that privacy service is
compliant with 4244bis, it will anonymize what is in the H-I header at
that time. But then any entries added downstream of that point will not
be anonymized.

So I think there really is something wrong with the referenced text.
If the use of "domain" was intended to be "trust domain" then its
dependent on 3325. If it was intended to mean "DNS domain", then its
still implying there is a privacy service that will magically be
traversed when leaving the DNS domain.

	Thanks,
	Paul