Re: [tcmtf] Backwards compatibility with RFC4170

"Jose Saldana" <jsaldana@unizar.es> Wed, 05 March 2014 16:21 UTC

From: Jose Saldana <jsaldana@unizar.es>
To: 'Brian Trammell' <ietf@trammell.ch>, tcmtf@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 16:21:25 -0000
Subject: Re: [tcmtf] Backwards compatibility with RFC4170

Hi, Brian, thanks for the summary of the BoF:

It is clear that RFC4170 is one of the options of the tcmtf stack. If people
think we should maintain backwards compatibility instead of obsoleting it,
we should modify three sentences of the draft:
(http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tcmtf/current/msg00493.html)

The current charter draft (v11) says:

"3. So there is a need of replacing RFC4170 with an extended solution able
to optimize these new flows ..."

"5. (...) In addition, since the current RFC 4170 would be considered as one
of the options, this RFC would be obsoleted."

"Goals and Milestones

Specification of TCM-TF reference model and the scenarios of interest. This
would obsolete RFC4170."

The new version could say instead:

"3. So there is a need of adding new options to the one considered in
RFC4170, thus building an extended solution able to optimize these new
flows..."

"5. (...) In addition, backwards compatibility with RFC 4170 will be
granted, since it will be considered as one of the optimization options."

"Goals and Milestones

Specification of TCM-TF reference model and the scenarios of interest.
Backwards compatibility with RFC4170 will be granted."

What do you think?

Jose