Re: [tcpm] TCP evolution impact on router buffers

Kuhn Nicolas <Nicolas.Kuhn@cnes.fr> Wed, 07 October 2015 10:16 UTC

From: Kuhn Nicolas <Nicolas.Kuhn@cnes.fr>
To: "Scharf, Michael (Michael)" <michael.scharf@alcatel-lucent.com>, "Lane Wigley (lwigley)" <lwigley@cisco.com>, "tcpm@ietf.org" <tcpm@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2015 10:16:30 +0000
x-tm-as-product-ver: SMEX-11.0.0.4179-8.000.1202-21864.005
x-tm-as-result: No--37.930500-8.000000-31
x-tm-as-user-approved-sender: No
x-tm-as-user-blocked-sender: No
Subject: Re: [tcpm] TCP evolution impact on router buffers

Hi,

1-      Regarding the CIR/PIR

IMHO this is out of the scope of the characterization guidelines. However, if you think that we should introduce more information on the MPLS/IP router architectures please let us know. The only problem being that we want to be quite generic and do not want to focus on specific architectures.

2-      Regarding buffer sizes

Since buffer sizing is not the only problem of evaluating AQMs, we have looked for RFC clearly stipulating how the "adequate" buffer size can be found. As said in RFC7597:
"
The optimum buffer size is a function of
   operational requirements and should generally be sized to be
   sufficient to buffer the largest normal traffic burst that is
   expected.  This size depends on the amount and burstiness of traffic
   arriving at the queue and the rate at which traffic leaves the queue.
"

In the characterization draft, the recommendation on the buffer size is not a "MUST".
If you think that we should more clearly say that the size of the buffer MAY be set to the BDP, let us know.
In its current state, it has been voluntary that the draft does not impose any buffer size.

Cheers,

Nicolas