Re: [v6ops] draft-korhonen-v6ops-3gpp-eps - where to go from here

Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@swm.pp.se> Wed, 05 January 2011 07:12 UTC

Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 08:14:45 +0100
From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@swm.pp.se>
To: Cameron Byrne <cb.list6@gmail.com>
Cc: IPv6 Ops WG <v6ops@ietf.org>, Basavaraj.Patil@nokia.com
Subject: Re: [v6ops] draft-korhonen-v6ops-3gpp-eps - where to go from here

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011, Cameron Byrne wrote:

> And, "However without
>   comprehensive testing of different applications and solutions that
>   exist today and are widely used, for their ability to operate over
>   IPv6 PDN connections, an IPv6 only access would cause disruptions.
>   Hence we recommend adopting the dual-stack approach to IPv6
>   transition in 3GPP networks."
>
> Raj, you have the phone that is IPv6-only for 9 months now.  Do the
> comprehensive testing and let us know.  This statement directly
> contradicts Jari's work on Symbian in
> draft-arkko-ipv6-only-experience.

My opinion right now is that we're going to have to do it all to support
different type of mobile devices.

IPv6 only access with:
NAT64+DNS64, NAT64+BIH, 4RD+NAT44

IPv4 only access with:
6RD+NAT44

Dual PDP (since we can control that within our own network): The bad thing
here is that the failure mode we've seen so far on dual PDP context is
that both contexts just stop forwarding traffic, they don't get torn down
when you roam into a network that doesn't support it.

IPv6 only access doesn't work in real life. It does work for quite a few
things on Symbian and fewer other things on Maemo and I guess also few
things on Windows 7 (if looking at the whole program ecosystem). I have
yet to test Windows 7, but since Skype doesn't work, you have a very
important application right there.

I do agree that dual stack by means of dual PDP context is really hard in
real life to do in the current mobile ecosystem. It can be compared to
deploying a solution based on /25 IPv4 space in todays Internet routing
system, it works for some, but you won't be able to talk to everybody
because of general /24 filtering.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@swm.pp.se