NOTE: This charter is accurate as of the 29th IETF Meeting in Seattle. It
may now be out-of-date. (Consider this a "snapshot" of the working
group from that meeting.) Up-to-date charters for all active working
groups can be found elsewhere in this Web server.
TELNET (TELNET) Charter
- Steve Alexander <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Mailing List Information
- General Discussion <email@example.com>
- To Subscribe <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Archive <>
Description of Working Group
The TELNET Working Group will examine RFC 854, ``Telnet Protocol
Specification,'' in light of the last six years of technical
advancements, and will determine if it is still accurate with how the
TELNET protocol is being used today. This group will also look at all
the TELNET options, and decide which are still germane to current-day
implementations of the TELNET protocol.
(1) Re-issue RFC 854 to reflect current knowledge and usage of the
(2) Create RFCs for new TELNET options to clarify or fill in any
voids in the current option set. Specifically: environment
variable passing, authentication, encryption, and compression.
(3) Act as a clearing-house for all proposed RFCs that deal with the
Goals and Milestones
- Write an environment option.
- Post an Internet-Draft describing the authentication option.
- Post an Internet-Draft describing the encryption option.
- Mar 1991
- Rewrite RFC 854.
- Submit the authentication option to the IESG as an Experimental Protocol.
- Jul 1993
- Submit the encryption option to the IESG as an Experimental Protocol.
NOTE: The Internet-Draft(s) listed below may have been deleted
since they are only good for six months.
Request for Comments