NOTE: This charter is accurate as of the 29th IETF Meeting in Seattle. It
may now be out-of-date. (Consider this a "snapshot" of the working
group from that meeting.) Up-to-date charters for all active working
groups can be found elsewhere in this Web server.
Telnet TN3270 Enhancements (TN3270E) Charter
- Robert Moskowitz <email@example.com>
Mailing List Information
- General Discussion <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- To Subscribe <email@example.com>
- In Body <sub tn3270e >
- Archive <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Description of Working Group
The TN3270 Enhancements Working Group will document the current
practices that provide limited support for 3270 devices over TELNET
and will develop a specification that allows the 3270 family of
devices, including printers, to function properly over TCP via
TELNET. Topics such as authentication, which are being addressed
by other working groups, are recognized as important to TN3270, but
are beyond the scope of this effort.
The specification will draw on work already done by the Internet
community for supporting 3270 devices through TELNET. It will be
based on appropriate portions of IBM's published documentation on
3270 display and printer data streams and LU function management.
Finally, it will make use of existing TELNET facilities where
The working group will produce: an Informational RFC documenting
current TN3270 terminal practices, an Experimental RFC
describing an interim approach to printing and LU name selection
(this will address the work that is already under way and
implementations of this partial solution that are already in place),
and a standards-track RFC specifying the TELNET protocols that
support a fully functional 3270 display and printing environment.
This RFC will supersede RFC 1041 and the Experimental RFC describing
the interim approach to printing and LU name selection.
Goals and Milestones
- Submit an Internet-Draft documenting current TN3270 terminal emulation practices.
- Post an Internet-Draft describing the Interim approach to printing and LU name selection.
- May 1993
- Submit the interim printing and LU name selection document to the IESG for consideration as an Experimental Protocol.
- May 1993
- Post as an Internet-Draft a protocol to support a fully functional 3270 display and printing environment over TELNET.
- Submit the document describing current TN2370 terminal practices to the IESG for consideration as an Informational Protocol.
- Sep 1993
- Submit the TN3270 TELNET specification to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard.
NOTE: The Internet-Draft(s) listed below may have been deleted
since they are only good for six months.
Request for Comments