Integration of Internet Information Resources (iiir) Charter
NOTE: This charter is accurate as of the 31st IETF Meeting in San Jose. It
may now be out-of-date. (Consider this a "snapshot" of the working
group from that meeting.) Up-to-date charters for all active working
groups can be found elsewhere in this Web server.
- Chris Weider <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Kevin Gamiel <email@example.com>
User Services Area Director(s):
- Joyce Reynolds <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Mailing List Information
- General Discussion:email@example.com
- To Subscribe: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Archive: merit.edu:~/pub/iiir-archive
Description of Working Group
The Integration of Internet Information Resources Working Group (IIIR)
is chartered to facilitate interoperability between Internet
information services, and to develop, specify, and align protocols
designed to integrate the plethora of Internet information services
(WAIS, ARCHIE, Prospero, etc.) into a single ``virtually unified
information service'' (VUIS). Such protocols would include, but are not
limited to, update protocols for distributed servers, a ``query routing
protocol'' to pass queries between existing services, protocols for
gateways between existing and future services, and standard exchange
formats (perhaps based on Z39.50) for cross-listing specific
Also, where necessary, IIIR will create technical documentation for
protocols used for information services in the Internet.
Goals and Milestones
- Track emerging Internet information services in order to specify technical requirements for their integration into the VUIS.
- Liaise with other groups working on deployment and integration of Internet information services: e.g., The Coalition for Networked Information, RARE Working Group 3, etc.
- Create specifications for interoperability between Internet information systems.
- Post an Internet-Draft on `A vision of integrated information resources.'
- Jul 93
- Post an Internet-Draft on `Taxonomy of Internet Information Services.'
- Submit final version of `A vision of integrated information resources' to the IESG as an Informational RFC.
- Jul 93
- Submit final version of `Taxonomy of Internet Information Services' to the IESG as an Informational RFC.
- Nov 93
- Post an Internet-Draft defining common exchange formats.
- Nov 93
- Post an Internet-Draft defining a Query Routing Protocol.
- Mar 94
- Submit final version of common exchange format to the IESG as a Proposed Standard.
- Jul 94
- Submit final version of Query Routing Protocol to the IESG as a Proposed Standard.
Request for Comments