DNS IXFR, Notification, and Dynamic Update (dnsind) Charter
NOTE: This charter is accurate as of the 33rd IETF Meeting in Stockholm. It
may now be out-of-date. (Consider this a "snapshot" of the working
group from that meeting.) Up-to-date charters for all active working
groups can be found elsewhere in this Web server.
- Randy Bush <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Internet Area Director(s):
- Frank Kastenholz <email@example.com>
- Susan Thomson <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Mailing List Information
- General Discussion:email@example.com
- To Subscribe: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Archive: ftp://ftp.merit.edu/internet/documents/ietf/dns
Description of Working Group
The DNS Incremental Transfer, Notification, and Dynamic Update Working Group
is concerned with three areas of future DNS protocol development:
Incremental Zone Transfer - As the sizes of some zone files have grown
quite large, it is believed that a protocol addition to allow the
transfer of only the changed subset of a zone will reduce net traffic
and the load on critical servers.
Change Notification - There can be large time intervals during which
at least one secondary has data that is inconsistent with the primary.
The proposed ``notify'' mechanism (where the primary sends a message
to known secondaries) facilitates fast convergence of servers
vis-a-vis consistency of data in the zones.
Dynamic Update - The need to frequently update small portions of a
large zone and to have those updates propagate is perceived.
Goals and Milestones
- Consolidated review of draft-ietf-dns-ixfr-01.txt.
- Submit Incremental Transfer and Notify Internet-Drafts.
- Submit revised Incremental Transfer and Notify Internet-Drafts. Submit these revised documents for Proposed Standards.
- Jul 95
- Publish Dynamic Update Internet-Draft and submit for Proposed Standard.
No Request for Comments