Inter-Domain Multicast Routing (idmr) Charter
NOTE: This charter is accurate as of the 37th IETF Meeting in San Jose. It
may now be out-of-date. (Consider this a "snapshot" of the working
group from that meeting.) Up-to-date charters for all active working
groups can be found elsewhere in this Web server.
- Tony Ballardie <A.Ballardie@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
- Bill Fenner <email@example.com>
Routing Area Director(s):
- Joel Halpern <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Mailing List Information
- General Discussion:email@example.com
- To Subscribe: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Archive: ftp://cs.ucl.ac.uk/darpa/IDMR/idmr-archive.Z
Description of Working Group
Existing inter-domain multicast routing protocols are not scalable to
a large internetwork containing very large numbers of active
wide-area groups. The purpose of the IDMR Working Group, therefore,
is to discuss proposed inter-domain multicast routing protocols, and
put forward one (or a hybrid of several) as a Proposed Standard
to the IESG.
Several proposals have been made to date, including Core-Based Tree
(CBT) multicasting, Core-Based Join (CBJ) multicasting, and Scalable
Reverse Path Multicasting (SRPM). Some of the above have yet to be
Goals and Milestones
- Post the Core Based Trees architecture as an Internet-Draft.
- Meet at IETF. All proposals must be submitted by this date. Discuss all proposals which have been submitted.
- Dec 93
- Submit the Core Based Trees architecture Internet-Draft to the IESG to be published as an Informational RFC.
- Meet at IETF. Discuss security issues with respect to the proposed protocol(s).
- Aug 94
- Post an Internet-Draft for a single protocol (which may be one of the proposals, or a combination of proposals), and an Internet-Draft serving as a protocol analysis document for that protocol (as required by RFC 1264).
- Jan 95
- Submit the single protocol to the IESG as a Proposed Standard.
- Mar 95
- Post an Internet-Draft for an IDMR MIB.
- Jul 95
- Submit the IDMR MIB Internet-Draft to the IESG as a Proposed Standard.
Request for Comments