Procedures for Internet/Enterprise Renumbering (pier) Charter
NOTE: This charter is accurate as of the 37th IETF Meeting in San Jose. It
may now be out-of-date. (Consider this a "snapshot" of the working
group from that meeting.) Up-to-date charters for all active working
groups can be found elsewhere in this Web server.
- Roger Fajman <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Bill Manning <email@example.com>
Operational Requirements Area Director(s):
- Scott Bradner <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Michael O'Dell <email@example.com>
Mailing List Information
- General Discussion:firstname.lastname@example.org
- To Subscribe: email@example.com
- Archive: ftp://ftp.isi.edu/pier-archive
Description of Working Group
PIER will fill the niche between the ADDRCONF, CIDRD, DHCP, SERV-LOC,
and other working groups as needed in identifying processes and
procedures, tools and techniques for renumbering in both the IPv4 and
IPv6 environments. Since IPv6 is still in development, the main focus
will be IPv4 environments. Emphasis will be placed on identifying the
places where hardcoded IP addresses are used and documenting those
places. If there are viable alternatives to hardcoded IP addresses, the
working group will document those as well. The end results of these
investigations will be a series of documents on renumbering issues and
recommendations on what actions might be taken to address those issues
where there is no currently viable alternative. These recommendations
will be to other working groups and/or areas regarding possible
improvements to protocols that would aid in renumbering. The PIER
working group will not develop such protocols itself.
Goals and Milestones
- Jan 96
- Submit Goals and Objectives document as an Internet-Draft.
- Feb 96
- Submit document on How to renumber a small site as an Internet-Draft.
- Mar 96
- Submit Tool Catalog as an Internet-Draft.
- Apr 96
- Submit Internet-Draft on Where IP addresses are used.
- May 96
- Produce and refine numbering papeers and case histories via active encouragement for people to practice renumbering.
- Jul 96
- Submit Internet-Draft on the Effects of renumbering on network visability.
- Jul 96
- Submit Internet-Draft of Case Histories.
Request for Comments