Minutes of the Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line (adsl) BOF
Meeting convened at 9:30 am. Co-chairs Mike Sneed and Dave Allan in attendance.
97 other attendees in room.
Meeting opened with overview of the agenda/Mike Sneed
The ADSL WG charter was presented and opened up for comments. It was noted that RFC 2233 supercedes RFC 1573. Change control delegation from ADSL Forum was discussed and it was indicated that change control delegation had been confirmed at the closing plenary of the ADSL Forum meeting in December.
The work schedule for the group was presented. No comments from the floor.
Greg Bathrick presented the I-D from the ADSL Forum "draft-bathrick-adsllinemib-adsl-00.txt." compassed were:
- the ADSL reference model,
- key assumptions
- based upon MIB-2, compliance was to be verified as part of the work.
- MIB contains 15 tables with 130 objects including 15 minute and 24 hour error count buckets.
- profiles for ADSL service provisioning
- Discussion primarily focused around what the CPE view of ADSL management information would be. -- Numerous suggestions were brought forth:
- device MIB at modem be readable by CPE.
- alarm profile be customer writable so that polling load could be reduced.
- V2/V3 access models be used
- And concerns were raised with DSL variations
- UAWG requirements,
- S/H/V-DSL requirements
Next steps outlined were:
- I-D MIB updates
- add conformance statements
- RFC 2233 compliance
- SNMPv3 identified as a "must do"
- CPE management and security
Mike resumed chairing the discussion as the group wrestled with a way forward for the C.O. and CPE MIB directions.
- issues with MIB addressability and visibility in the network.
- suggested that the C.O. push a view into the CPE modem.
- whether this can be accommodated in a single I-D for both C.O. and CPE
- clean up the current line MIB draft, stick to the proposed agenda.
- CPE device MIB will be addressed by a superset I-D
Closing discussion was around EOC channel being uni-directional such that the C.O. would have to "push" information to the CPE and that the customer view may be proxied in the interest of low cost CPE.
Meeting closed at 10:55
ADSL BOF - Agenda
Roster Not Submitted