2.3 Internet Area

Area Report

No reports/minutes received for:

ipsat IP over Satellite BOF

DNS IXFR, Notification, and Dynamic Update (dnsind)

Reported by Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>:

dnsind met for one half hour with 59 people. Progress was made on a number of

- Binary Labels - will go to WG last call for Proposed Standard after one more
revision in a week or so.

- DNAME - will go to WG last call for Proposed Standard after one more revision
in a week or so.

- EDNS - Document will be split into two separate ones. EDNS0 will deal with
UDP size, goal is to get it out quickly without having dependency on all of the
EDNS stuff that will take longer to get implemented and deployed. EDNS1 will
contain the meat of the new proposals.

- TSIG - one more draft coming, then wg last call towards Proposed Standard.

- I, N, and D advancement - little progress to report. Olafur agrees to pick up ball
and get interoperability reports.

Dynamic Host Configuration (dhc)

As reported by Ralph Droms <droms@bucknell.edu>

Morning session: The following drafts were discussed and deemed ready or mostly
ready to publish:

* Relay options draft, Mike Patrick (Motorola)
* New process for allocating option numbers, Ralph Droms (Bucknell):

The WG agreed to move forward with "Host systems characteristics options"
(Mike Henry - Intel), but to make option Informational with intent to phase out after
6 years; other options that serve similar purpose will be clarified.

Ryan Troll (CMU) presented a proposal for an option that enables a site to direct
hosts to not generate an IP address if DHCP servers don't grant them one; WG
agreed to run four-week WG last call after revised draft published and submit for
Proposed Standard status

A number of other issues where discussed, but more work is needed before
documents are ready for advancement.

Afternoon Session:

Ralph Droms reviewed the minutes from the interim meeting on DHC authentication
from June. Bill Arbaugh described the Schiller/Huitema/Droms/Arbaugh (SHDA)
protocol, which performs "delayed authentication" based on discussion at the interim
meeting. The outcome of the interim working group was to recommend the SHDA
and Patel protocols to the WG. The WG agreed to select the SHDA protocol for
future development.

Finally, Josh Cohen (Microsoft) described the web proxy server option. There was
discussion of the advisability of combining this option with the authentication server
option in a general purpose "typed URL option". The WG came to consensus that
the two options should be left separate and the URL option should be considered for
the expanded option space (recommended by the futures panel). The WG
acknowledged that the current options space is nearly exhausted; Mike Carney
agreed to investigate recovering some of the option space in 128-254 and Ralph
Droms agreed to try to recover previously assigned options that have not been used.

Internetworking Over NBMA (ion)

Reported by George Swallow <swallow@cisco.com>

ION met for a single session on Monday afternoon, August 24, 1998.
We opened with Andy Malis reporting on the current status of the working groups
documents. Since the previous meeting 10 new RFCs have been published, and a
number of others are in the final stages of completion.

Joel Halpern has revived and revised the Router to Router NHRP draft. Joel
requested the help of the working group on the open issues. The draft moved to a
wg draft.

Lou Berger presented NHRP Flow Extensions. This draft provides a finer granularity
NHRP resolution. Resolution based on destination addresses may not be adequate
for all cases. The case addressed by this document is when the NBMA next hop is
dependent on the contents of a data packet, i.e. its type of traffic.

Dan Grossman presented an update to RFC 1483. This effort is to cleanup the
document in advance of moving it to a draft standard. The draft will be updated and
re-issued as a workgroup draft. Juha Heinanen will be added as an author, as this
remains largely his original work.

PPPOE (PPP Over Ethernet BOF)

reported by David Carrel <carrel@RedBackNetworks.com>:

The PPPOE BOF was heavily attended and contained a "requirements" overview by
Louis Mamakos of UUNET and was followed by a "protocol" overview by Dave
Carrel of RedBack Networks. The protocol is described in
draft-carrel-info-pppoe-00.txt. A question-and-answer period followed in which the
most frequent comments were directed at using L2TP as an alternative. Some argued
that L2TP could be defined over ethernet to solve this problem. Some argued that
L2TP solves a different problem, namely, tunneling, and that using L2TP as a simple
encapsulation would be overkill. The Area Directors have taken an action item to
sort out whether any standards-track activity within the IETF is merited in this space.
The authors of the PPPOE draft have an action item to produce an updated draft, at
which time they will pursue publication as an Informational RFC.

IP Over Fibre Channel (ipfc)

Reported by Murali Rajagopal <murali@gadzoox.com>

IPFC Draft issues were discussed first. All issues were resolved during the meeting
based on the proposed resolutions with a minor change in wording for FC Layer

A Fabric MIB was proposed by Kha Sin Teow from Brocade Communications. The
WG accepted the proposal. There was only one issue in the MIB that the author said
he will correct. This had to do with the nature of proposed MIB (Experimental ). The
new ID will not make it experimental in the MIB tree. The schedule on this effort
was submit an ID soon and try to publish this as an Prposed RFC by Dec 98.

An Interconnect MIB was proposed by Kim Banker from Gadzoox Networks. The
synergy between this MIB and the Fabric MIB was discussed. It was decided that the
Interconnect MIB will describe the relationship. Kim Banker positioned this MIB to
be higher in the hierarchy compared to the Fabric MIB. The Chair of the WG
recommended that this contain in a separate Frame Work Document. Kim Banker was
tasked to do this. The schedule for this proposal was Dec 99.

IP Over IEEE 1394 (ip1394)

Reported by "Hattig, Myron" <myron.hattig@intel.com>


The IP/1394 WG is winding down. Our work should continue to taper off over the
next six months with the submission of IPv4 over 1394 draft to the IESG, completion
of DHCP extensions, and the creation an SNMP MIB. Our repeated queries to IETF
members for the need to define IP over isoc 1394 services have met silence; no one
appears to want to work on these problems. We have a proposal from Sony for IPv6
over 1394; however, no others have expressed an interest in this. We will request
these items be removed from our list of WG deliverables unless additional ople
express interest in these topics. This opens the possibility of the WG shutting down
or becoming dormant with the completion of the DHCP and SNMP work.

PacketWay (pktway)

The WG reported that they plan on shutting down. There isn't sufficient interest
from vendors to drive the work. Existing documents will be published as
experimental to document the work that has been done.

Point-to-Point Protocol Extensions (pppext)

Reported by Karl Fox <karl@ascend.com>

Anita Freeman announced the next CIUG interoperability forum, which will be held
October 27-30, covering IPSEC, IKE and L2TP, plus combinations thereof.

L2TP is being revved once more to address IESG concerns, most notably address
migration, which is considered too insecure. The L2TP MIB has been updated, and
is now waiting for comments on the new structure.

Paolo Crivellari presented a draft describing a way to send PPP-over-ATM traffic
over L2TP. It was suggested that he look for a way to do this that would be
compatible with existing LNS implementations that only understand the HDLC

Bill Simpson reviewed the status of six drafts, some of which are stagnant because
of inaction by the chair. The chair promised to get his act together.

Rollins Turner presented the L2TP over AAL5/FUNI draft. Various suggestions
were offered.

Glen Zorn presented a draft describing how to carry internationalized language
strings in various PPP protocol packets that now contain unformatted ASCII. This
is really, really good.

Glen also introduced a draft describing Microsoft CHAP version 2. They're not
relinquishing change control, but they are asking for input and review. This is also
really, really good.

Bill Simpson talked at length about PPP over SONET, eliciting much comment.
People are already making OC-48 chips that use HDLC framing, but there was
significant support for looking at using Bill's PPP in Ether-like Framing for OC-192.
Discussion on this aspect and others was directed to the ietf-ppp@merit.edu list.

IPNG (ipngwg)

The IESG approved a set of 5 documents for Draft Standard. A new version of the
ICMPv6 spec will be issued to correct some editorial oversights before publication
as RFCs.

The WG decided to start the process for advancing next set of documents to Draft
Standard (addressing architecture, IP over Ethernet/FDDI/PPP, etc.). Goal is to be
ready (e.g., implementation reports) to advance as soon as six month waiting period
(at Proposed) expires.

The ION WG reported that it was ready to advance a set of 4 documents related to
running IPv6 over NBMA links (e.g., ATM, Frame Relay).

The following drafts were discussed and the WG agreed to move them forward:

- draft-ietf-ipngwg-resv-anycast-00.txt (Reserved IPv6 Subnet Anycast
Addresses) is almost done. Document will be revved, then WG Last Call.

- draft-carpenter-ipng-6over4-04.txt (IPv6 over IPv4 w/out Explicit Tunnels) will
be revved, then WG Last Call.

- draft-ietf-ipngwg-dns-lookups-01 (DNS Extension to Support IP Version 6) WG
Last Call will be issued when new draft is out.

- Router Renumbering: Already cleared WG Last Call, ready for advancement

- Multicast Listener Discovery (MLD): Start WG Last Call when new draft is out.

Additional drafts discussed:

- draft-ietf-mobileip-ipv6-06.txt - WG last call ended in Mobile IP WG. No
objections were reported.

- PPP Extension for Prefix Allocation: Much discussion about whether this work
duplicates other ways of doing same thing and whether that was a good thing.
Further discussion needed.

- Jumbograms: New (standalone) draft incorporating text that was in base spec
originally, but removed due to lack of documented interoperability.

Finally, the WG discussed whether a new RR type should be defined as opposed to
resuse the existing AAAA record, but change its format. The WG agreed to ask for a
new code point.