2.3 Internet Area

Internet Area Report:

The following WGs did not meet: atommib, ip1394, ipvbi, ifmib, pktway & ipcdn.

Networking in the Small (NITS) BOF

Meeting Summary, 3/15/99

Stuart Cheshire, cheshire@apple.com
Peter Ford, peterf@microsoft.com

Mailing list: nits@merit.edu (nits-request to join)

Roughly 180-200 people attended the BOF, with a full room.

Goals articulated by Peter:


1) IP stack has sufficiently standardized and many vendors are looking at IP based devices that should have "plug and play behavior".

2) IP currently fails the simplicity test - if one were to go to a CostCO and buy 2 PCs and an ethernet hub someone would still have to configure the IP addressing and other stack parameters.

Peter suggested that we should benchmark current IPv4 practices against those of Appletalk, IPX, and NetBIOS, including deployment of DHCP servers and bootstrapping through DHCP to get DNS server addresses and domains configured in an end system. When one considers that to print many people then have to go edit their /etc/printcap and /etc/resolv.conf files we should turn red in embarrassment. With Appletalk and NetBIOS over NetBeui or IPX you can bring a system up and print with minimal (close to zero) configuration.

Beyond simple addressing and DNS configuration we also need to worry about router, proxy and NAT configs that get more daunting every day.

Presentations included:

1) Overall Goals of NITS BOF - Peter Ford

2) Home Networking Device and Service Discovery Requirements draft-miller-homedisc-req-00.txt - Brent Miller

3) Automatic IP address assignment for link local address w/IPv4 draft-ietf-dhc-ipv4-autoconfig-03.txt - Stuart Cheshire/Ryan Troll

4) Multicast Discovery of DNS Services draft-manning-multicast-dns-01.txt - Bill Woodcock/Bill Manning

5) Service Location Protocol draft-ietf-svrloc-protocol-v2-12.txt - Erik Guttman

6) Simple Service Discovery Protocol draft-cai-ssdp-v1-00.txt - Yaron Goland

7) IPv6 Autoconfiguration and Neighbor Discovery - T. Narten

8) IP Address sharing - Stuart Cheshire

Closing discussion indicated that there appeared to be sufficient interest in the area of small networks to proceed with forming a work list. Stuart and Peter took the action to work out a charter with the ADs (Thomas Narten and Erik Nordmark).

IP Next Generation (ipngwg)

IPng W.G. Meeting Summary
Minneapolis IETF
March 15, 1999

The IPng w.g. met for two sessions. The meeting was chaired by Robert Hinden and Steve Deering. Minutes were taken and edited by Robert Hinden. Approximately 200 people attended.

Action items from the meeeting were:

- The IESG did not advance IPv6 addressing architecture to Draft Standard. Document editor to contact implementors to document scoped multicast forwarding implementations.
- IPv6 Router Alert document has been stalled for sometime. AD is check that current specification of IPv6 Router Alert is up to date and document why IPv6 Router Alert is different from IPv4 Router Alert. Then move to publish.
- "DNS Extension for IP Version 6" document authors to send email to w.g. list to with resolution of issues.
- Document editor to start an IPng w.g. last call for "IPv6 Jumbograms" for Proposed Standard.
- Document editor to start an IPng w.g. last call for "A Method for flexible IPv6 Address Assignment" for Informational.
- Document editor to start an IPng w.g. last call for "Multicast Listener Discovery (MLD) for IPv6" for Proposed Standard.
- Document editor to start an unofficial IPng w.g. last call for the "The Case for IPv6" for Informational.
- IPng w.g. chairs to revise w.g. charter with new work items and name change.
- Internet ADs to create "IPv6 Directorate".
- Document editor to start IPng w.g. last call for Router Renumbering for PS.
- Document editor to start IPng w.g. last call for Multicast Listener Discovery Protocol for PS.

Dynamic Host Configuration (dhc)

DHC working group meeting summary, March, 1999 (Minneapolis), as reported by Ralph Droms <droms@bucknell.edu>.

The wg met twice. The first session focused on a review of the latest DHCPv6 specs. The wg discussed and resolved several issues from Narten's review of 9/98. However, time for the session expired leaving some issues unresolved and some issues undiscussed. Perkins and Bound will issue a new draft with changes based on the resolved issues. Discussion of unresolved issues will continue on the mailing list.

In the second session, the wg discussed the following issues and resolutions:

* DHCP-DNS interactions, Mark Stapp
Work is progressing; new draft available soon. New mechanism reviewed and tentatively accepted by wg to resolve host name collisions

* DHCP authentication, Bill Arbaugh
Bill presented resolution of several key issues and indicated who would address other issues. New draft to be issued prior to Oslo; wg last call after discussion of revised draft on mailing list.

* DHCP schema meeting report, Bernie Volz
Minutes from meeting available through http://ww.dhcp.org

* DHCP failover meeting report, Kim Kinnear
Minutes from meeting available through http://www.dhcp.org

* Subnet selection option, Glenn Waters
Discussion of use of 'giaddr' for subnet selection. Consensus was not to further overload 'giaddr'. Waters will update and reissue draft.

* Relay agent options report from IESG, Harald Alvestrand
Alvestrand reported on his objections to relay agent options draft. Wg agreed to ask author (Patrick) to add text.

Point-to-Point Protocol Extensions (pppext)

Summary as reported by Karl Fox <karl@extant.net>

The PPPEXT working group met twice at the 44th IETF in Minneapolis, on Tuesday, March 16 and on Wednesday, March 17.

Anita Freeman announced the next interoperability conference covering PPP, L2TP and other protocols, to be held May 23-28. The SDL draft (an alternative bit- or byte-synchronous encapsulation scheme) is going to move ahead as Experimental to avoid conflicts with the working group's choice for standard encapsulation, HDLC-like framing. There was unanimity behind moving L2TP forward regardless of Cisco's stance on the IPR issue, but they were requested to consider making a statement in writing that they'd allow use of their patent at little or no cost.

IP Over Fibre Channel (ipfc)

Summary as reported by Murali Rajagopal <murali@gadzoox.com>

Number of Attendees: 46.

Discussed Items:

1. IP and ARP over Fibre Channel Latest <draft-ietf-ipfc-fibre-channel-05.txt> has been advanced to IESG consideration. IESG expected to announce its decision for a PROPOSED STD by end of March

2. Definitions of Managed Objects for the Fabric Element in Fibre Channel Standard <draft-ietf-ipfc-fabric-element-mib-04.txt> - Kha Sin (brocade Communications) gave a brief presentation on the MIB and its differences with respect to the Fibre Channel Management Framework Integration MIB and indicated that the draft is ready for advancement to a PROPOSED STD. There were no objections from the meeting attendees going to the PROPOSED STD.

3. Fibre Channel Management Framework Integration MIB - Steve Blumenau from EMC gave a presentation of draft-blumenau-fcmgmt-int-mib-00.txt. Steve indicated that this was the work of a number of vendor companies (FiberAlliance) and the intent of submitting this to the IETF was to eventually make this a Proposed Standard. There was no objection from the WG attendees to adopt this as a work item for the group. Steve estimated that he would have "Simulation and Implementation proofs of base plus changes" by Sep 99 with a target date of Nov 99 for completion. Steve was advised that any interim meeting notice should be sent on the IPFC mail list.

4. Fibre Channel Interconnect MIB <draft-ietf-ipfc-interconnect-mib-00.txt> expired in Feb 99 and this work has been largely replaced by the draft-blumenau-fcmgmt-int-mib-00.txt. Kha Sin indicated that there was an intent to bring a 1c.txt version of the InterConnect MIB. Murali suggested that it would be better to bring in contributions to the draft-blumenau-fcmgmt-int-mib-00.txt rather than a MIB.

5. Murali requested volunteers for writing a Frame work document that described the relationship of the two MIBs that were presently considered. Furthermore, this Framework document will be required to show how future MIBs (FC-BB, FC-SW2, etc.) related to Fibre Channel may fit in. Gavin Bowly Gadzoox Networks), Lee Hu (Vixel Corp.), and Mark Carlson (Sun Microsystems) volunteered to write the document. It was also tentatively decided that a draft would be ready for discussion during the Oslo meeting. Agenda for the Oslo meeting will focus on MIBs and the start an early discussion on the requirements for moving the IPFC document to the DRAFT STD level.

Internetworking Over NBMA (ion)

Summary as reported by "Andrew G. Malis" <malis@casc.com>

Internetworking Over NBMA (ION) Working Group Summary
Date: Monday, March 15, 1300-1500
Chair: Andrew Malis, Ascend Communications, malis@ascend.com

The ion working group met for one session. I announced that this will be the last meeting at an IETF for a while, in order to get interoperability experience with current Proposed Standard RFCs before taking on any new work or deciding on advancing any to Draft status. We will complete current outstanding drafts on the email list. The email list will also remain open to discuss implementation and interoperability issues. I presented the current status of working group documents in progress. Joel Halpern presented the latest version of draft-ietf-ion-r2r-nhrp-01.txt. Dan Grossman presented the latest version of draft-ietf-ion-multiprotocol-atm-02.txt. Both will soon go to working group last call.

Frame Relay Service MIB (frnetmib)

Summary as reported by "Andrew G. Malis" <malis@casc.com>

Frame Relay Service MIB (frnetmib) Working Group Summary
Date: Tuesday, March 16, 1015-1115
Chair: Andrew Malis, Ascend Communications, malis@ascend.com

Andy presented the current status of working group documents in progress. Ken Rehbehn presented the changes since the last meeting to draft-ietf-frnetmib-frs-mib-04.txt and draft-ietf-frnetmib-atmiwf-01.txt. Work on both MIBs is ongoing on the list. Both have outstanding issues to be resolved, and each will receive at least one more revision before going to working group last call. Rob Steinberger and Orly Nicklass are thinking about a follow-on to the frs-mib for SLAs based upon FRF.13.

DNS IXFR, Notification, and Dynamic Update (dnsind)

Summary as reported by Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>

Dnsind met jointly with dnssec for two hours in minneapolis on 99.03.16. dnsind agreed to merge with dnssec and become dnsind (so as to not have to rename a lot of documents). A new charter will be finalized in a week or two.

There was also an interoperability session which was not overly successful. While two implementations could be found which interoperated for any particular feature, no two implementations worked for many. The testing will continue on the net and will be done again in oslo.

Many documents will progress through various stages in the process in the next weeks. [a6 records were seen as the current best path for the nonce]

Remote Boot BOF - 3/18/99 - Meeting Summary

Summary as reported by "Henry, Mike" <mike.henry@INTEL.COM>

A BOF was held to determine if there was sufficient interest to create a Working Group to address a standard protocol for remote boot. The meeting was well attended (39 attendees) with presentations by Michael Henry (Intel) and Eric Guttman (Sun). Significant interest was expressed in remote boot. However, it was not clear whether a real problem was being defined (i.e. something necessitating a new protocol) or whether it would simply be sufficient to document in a BCP RFC the preferred method for accomplishing remote boot using existing standards, or even if existing standards, as written, already sufficiently define a solution to this problem. As a result, the group calling the BOF was asked to create a requirements document to clearly define the scope of the problem and requirements for a solution, to clarify whether a working group is warranted and what form it should take.

Service Location Protocol (svrloc)

Summary as reported by Erik.Guttman@germany.sun.com

The SVRLOC WG met to conclude work items on its charter. The remaining drafts were all given final disposition: either they will go to the service template repository, be retired from the SVRLOC WG directory or published. Some work items may be pursued independently of the working group (a SLPv2 extension requesting DA notification of new services being registered and a specification of the ability for SAs to announce new services coming on line.) These would be written as individual contribution internet drafts. There was a plea for more interoperability testing. Finally, service template compatibility with ldap schema was discussed. There is ongoing work to complete here, but it is not clear that this should be done within the SVRLOC WG. Discussion of this question and the proposed announcement and notification extensions will take place on the WG list, but it is expected we will be done with all work upon the publication of SLPv2 and surrounding documents as RFCs.