2.3 Internet Area

Internet Area Meeting Summary

The following WGs did not meet:
- AToM MIB (atommib)
- IP Over IEEE 1394 (ip1394)
- IP over VBI (ipvbi)
- Interfaces MIB (ifmib)
- Internetworking Over NBMA (ion)
- Service Location Protocol (svrloc)

The following WGs met, but did not return a summary:
- IP over Cable Data Network (ipcdn)

IPNG (ipngwg)

Reported by Bob Hinden <hinden@iprg.nokia.com>

The IPng working group meet for two sessions at the Washington, DC IETF. Major topics included:

- Document Status / R. Hinden
- Summary of Tokyo Interim Meeting / S. Deering
- IPv6 extensions to RPC / S. Majee
- TAHI IPv6 Interoperability Test Report H. Miyata
- IPv6 Socket Scrubber / C. Williams
- IPng Statement on Privacy / S. Deering
- Privacy Issues w/ Addrconf / Anonymous
- Wireless Telephony / C. Perkins (30)
- Connection/Link Status Investigation (CSI) / H. Kitamura
- Unidirectional Link Routing / H. Afifi
- Source Address Selection Draft (R. Draves) / S. Deering
- Text Syntax for Scoped Addresses / T. Jinmei
- IPv6 Inverse Neighbor Discovery / A. Conta
- Local Scope IPv6 Networking / R. Hinden

Action items and conclusions from the meeting included:

- Document editor to start one week w.g. last call for advancing the DNS extensions draft to Proposed Standard.
- Reissue Initial Sub-TLA Assignment draft, then submit to IESG for informational.
- Document editor to create implementation report templates for IPv6 over Ether/FDDI/TR/ARCNET/PPP w/ input from authors. Once implementation data is collected, start w.g. last call for Draft Standard.
- RPC extensions for IPv6 should be in RPC w.g. with coordination with IPng w.g.
- "Connection/Link Status Investigation (CSI)" will not become a working group item.
- Consensus to make "Text Syntax for Scoped Addresses" a working group item.
- IPng document editor will start a two week working group last call of IPv6 Inverse Neighbor Discovery for Proposed Standard.

DNS IXFR, Notification, and Dynamic Update (dnsind)

Report from Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
- dnsind had a one-session meeting in DC. The dnsext charter was agreed. goals to move silly stuff off the plate and concentrate on ixfr, notify, dynupd, dns sec, and other hard pieces were discussed and agreed. Better infrastructure for interoperability testing was planned, and some testing was performed. TSIG and TKEY need to be revised and out the door. Some discussion of the difficulties of DNS security, but not enough. The semi-annual discussion and discarding of absolute time ttls was held. Some pre-discussion of IDNS.

IP Over Fibre Channel (ipfc)

Report from Murali Rajagopal <murali@gadzoox.com>

Title: A Framework for Fibre Channel MIBs
- <draft-ietf-ipfc-mib-framework-01.txt> Lee Hu indicated that he should be done with the draft by the next meet and will be submitted as a Informational RFC. Lee gave a presentation of the draft (01.txt) and indicated that the purpose was to provide a MIB tree guide for the development of Fibre Channel related MIBs. One of the missing pieces of the draft was the references to the existing MIBs.

Fibre Channel Management Framework Integration MIB
- <draft-ietf-ipfc-fcmgmt-int-mib-01.txt> David Black gave a verbal status of the MIB and indicated that March 00 looked like a likely date of completion and had slipped by 3 months. David indicated that a large number of companies already had implementation of this MIB.

Definitions of Managed Objects for the Fabric Element in Fibre Channel Standard
- <draft-ietf-ipfc-fabric-element-mib-06.txt> Kha Sin Teow gave a very brief presentation on the latest additions to the 06.txt document and was waiting to receive comments form Juergen Schoenwaelder. Juergen who was in the room said he will review the material and have it completed in the very near future. It appears that this document is almost complete. Kha Sin also indicated that both Brocade, McDATA and Ancor had implementations of this MIB.

RFC 2625 Next Step: Arrange for Interoperability Test

It was agreed that a test would occur in the month of April in Palm Dessert along with a regular SNIA event. Andrea Westerinen who is the SNIA Director volunteered to work with IPFC WG Chair to set this up.

It was generally understood that a Test Suite covering the RFC 2625 would be in sent to the WG and discussed over the IPFC reflector in the coming weeks. Once this Test Suite is agreed upon in the IPFC WG this will be distributed to all potential participants. Andrea plans to take this to SNIA and get their input as well.

The Test results called "Implementation Report" in IETF's terminology would be written by the WG Chair and submitted to the IESG for DRAFT STD by June 00

Zero Configuration Networking (zeroconf)

Report from Erik Guttman <Erik.Guttman@Sun.COM>

The primary purpose of the WG meeting was to discuss the requirements draft and figure out how to best move forward with it. Discussion was fruitful and it appears there is the beginnings of consensus about issues where we appeared to have some controversy before - namely the applicability of bridged topologies in zeroconf networks and the range of network scenarios to which ZEROCONF applied. The majority of the discussion focussed on transition to and from ZEROCONF conditions and it was agreed that security in particular would only apply after configuration. Steve Deering made an excellent point that the most important thing is that we have at most one unconfigured router, not that we have at most one router on a zeroconf network.

More discussion on the zero/configured transitions as well as naming and security is needed. Address (both unicast and multicast) allocation seems to be fairly close to what we'll want in the final version of the requirements. Service discovery is contentious with at least four different positions being maintained (SLP, SSDP, Multicast DNS and a network manage- ment based approach).

We will work toward having a completed document for WG last call by March. As long as we can adopt a common vocabulary and set of objectives for service discovery increase discussion of v6 and naming, I think we may be able to make that date.

Layer Two Tunneling Protocol Extensions (l2tpext)

Reported by "W. Mark Townsley" <townsley@cisco.com>

L2TPEXT met from 15:30 - 17:30 Thursday, Nov 11. Several drafts were presented including, alternate data channel, link extensions, session information, header compression, security with IPsec, atm extensions. Discussion was purposeful and relatively concise. A few items were remanded to the list. Drafts on the pppext charter were identified for moving to l2tpext. We will decide status of each on the list.

Dynamic Host Configuration (dhc)

Reported by Ralph Droms <droms@bucknell.edu>

11/9, 0900

- Reconfiguration option, T'Joens: WG provided feedback (add authentication, make draft more precise) and agreed to consider option after new draft is submitted
- Name service selection, Smith: WG suggested 16-bit value, 0 causes client to look in locla configuration table; ready for WG last call after revision
- Failover, Kinnear: Reported on phone conferences since last WG meeting; will hold more phone conferences and revise for next IETF
- User class option, Privat: WG provided feedback (simplify draft, reduce "MUST" policy directives); author will revise draft
- Double phase assignment, Privat: WG suggested splitting into two drafts, informational for proxy mechanism, standards track for redirect
- DRCP, McAuley: WG opined that this may be a new protocol, not DHCP; WG will look at next draft and decide whether or not to review
- Authentication, Arbaugh: Reported on suggestions from Volz; Atkinson suggested splitting into two drafts; WG chose to leave "as is"; will go to WG last call after next revision
- Kerberos authentication, Aboba: Suggestion for external, authoritative review; no WG action
- DHCP load balancing, Volz: WG provided feedback and will continue to review
- Server selection option: WG suggested simplifying drafts (e.g., profiles) and to allow lease time as tie breaker; WG will review another draft
- DHCP MIB, Hibbs: Hibbs will circulate last comments to WG; WG suggested submitting MIB for external expert review
- NAT/IPSec interaction, Brustoloni: WG provided feedback and will review new draft
- Subnet selection option, Lemon (for Waters): Ready for WG last call
- Static routes, Lemon: Lemon will write up draft for lsit of static routes with subnet masks
- Domain name search list, Lemon (for Gupta): Lemon will track down previous draft and move forward

11/9, 1300

- Agent options, Patrick: Patrick described Motorola IPR statement; WG agreed to WG last call
- LDAP schema for DHCP, Volz: Volz described changes since last draft; WG suggested mving to standards track (as opposed to BCP or informational)
- DHCP-DNS interaction, Stapp: DNS KEY RR not usable; will define new RR for DHCP to be used with DHCP DNS records; Stapp will revise and resubmit
- DHCP RR, Gustaffson: Described new RR for DHCP, including purpose, use and deployment; will support DHCP-DNS interaction as described by Stapp; WG satisfied with definition
- New option review and namespce, Carney: Next version to last call 11/9, 1415
- DHCPv6, Carney, Bound, Perkins: Will take outstanding issues individually to mailing list

Frame Relay Service MIB (frnetmib)

Reported by "Andrew G. Malis" <amalis@lucent.com>

Frame Relay Service MIB (frnetmib) Working Group Summary IETF-46, Washington, D.C.

Date: Monday, November 8, 0930 - 1130

David Perkins was introduced as the new WG advisor. The status of working group documents was reviewed. Rob Steinberger presented the current version of the FR Service Level Definition MIB. The issues from Oslo were addressed, current open issues were discussed, and suggestions for improvement were made. A new revision will be forthcoming. Prayson Pate presented a proposed MIB for the UNI/NNI multilink FR documented in FRF.16. The draft was accepted as a working group document with the changes agreed to in this meeting. A new revision will be forthcoming. The state of some other older drafts was discussed.

Point-to-Point Protocol Extensions (pppext)

Reported by "Karl Fox" <karl@extant.net>

The PPPEXT working group met for two hours at the Washington, D.C. IETF. The annual PPP interoperability workshop was announced (thanks Anita!), BCP (Bridging Control Protocol) is being updated to support modern bridging technology (i.e. VLANs) and DESE will be moved to Historic, now that DES is easily breakable and 3DES is widely supported. A new PPP frame multiplexing draft was presented similar to the deprecated "compound frames" option--this will allow more efficient use of low-speed links carrying tiny RTP packets.