2.3.1 AToM MIB (atommib)

NOTE: This charter is a snapshot of the 49th IETF Meeting in San Diego, California. It may now be out-of-date. Last Modified: 02-Nov-00


Kaj Tesink <kaj@research.telcordia.com>

Internet Area Director(s):

Thomas Narten <narten@raleigh.ibm.com>
Erik Nordmark <nordmark@eng.sun.com>

Internet Area Advisor:

Erik Nordmark <nordmark@eng.sun.com>

Technical Advisor(s):

Keith McCloghrie <kzm@cisco.com>

Mailing Lists:

General Discussion:atommib@research.telcordia.com
To Subscribe: atommib-request@research.telcordia.com
Archive: ftp://ftp.research.telcordia.com/pub/Group.archive/atommib

Description of Working Group:

The AToM MIB Working Group is chartered to evaluate RFC 1695, a Proposed Standard, with respect to the standards track. As a part of its evaluation, the working group will prepare a revised version and recommend the appropriate level of standardization for this revision to the IESG (i.e., that it be advanced to Draft Standard status, or that it cycle at Proposed Standard status).

As a part of its evaluation, the AToM MIB Working Group may also define additional sets of managed objects, to reflect growing experience and industry requirements for management of:

o ATM services

o The Frame based UNI (F-UNI)

o ATM tests

The objects defined by the working group will be consistent with the Internet-standard Management framework.

Goals and Milestones:



Post an Internet-Draft of the ATM and SONET MIB.



Submit the ATM and SONET MIB to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard.



Begin developing Internet-Drafts for discussion.



Revised Internet-Draft and make available for discussion.

Oct 95


Submit Internet-Drafts to IESG for standards track evaluation.


Request For Comments:






Definitions of Managed Objects for the SONET/SDH Interface Type



Textual Conventions for MIB Modules Using Performance History Based on 15 Minute Intervals



Accounting Information for ATM Networks



Managed Objects for Controlling the Collection and Storage of Accounting Information for Connection-Oriented Networks



Definitions of Textual Conventions and OBJECT-IDENTITIES for ATM Management



Definitions of Managed Objects for ATM Management



Definitions of Managed Objects for the SONET/SDH Interface Type

Current Meeting Report

AToMMIB WG - 12/11/00 Reported by Faye Ly
The working group met once on Monday and the objectives for the meeting are:
1. Review the status of ATM 2 MIB.
2. Review the status of SONET APS MIB.
3. Consider Fiber Channel MIB as part of the AToMMIB WG charter.
4. Review AToMMIB WG charter.


1. Faye Ly presented the latest draft of ATM 2 MIB. David Allen from Nortel raised an issue regarding adding objects to cover ADSL stuff and latter on decided to withdraw the proposal. There is no other issue with this draft (14). This draft will be submitted to IESG by March 2001 or sooner.

2. Jeff Johnson presented the latest draft of Sonet APS MIB.
Issues: Is 0 a valid value? Editor to post this to the mailing list. This is the only remaining issue and once resolved, this draft or a new draft will be submitted to IESG by March 2001 or sooner.

3. Mark Stewart presented the Optical Channel MIB (draft 00). A few issues came up:

3.1 Need a liaison between ITU and this WG. Lakshimi Raman from Teraburst.

3.2 Need ifTypes from IANA for OCH and OTH. (Action items for Faye/Nathan).

3.3 Alarm report control (ARC) needs coordination from the disman working group. If they have a frame work we can use, use it. If not, stick to what we have. Action for Lakshimi to post a paragraph to the disman WG to state the requirement.

3.4 Editor needs to double check the intervals/alarm threshold MIB objects in the MIB and make sure they match the Perf TC MIB conventions.

The WG agreed to embrace this MIB as part of the atommib charter.
Action for Faye/Nathan to make this happen with the area director.

4. Who has implemented RFC 2558? People are asking for implementation experience and looking for room to add/change the objects in RFC 2558. (Action for Faye/Nathan to ask for implementation experience from the mailing list).

5. Can this WG also include the work for ATM Forum's ATM APS MIB?? Mike Sneed (ECI) and Orly Nicklass (RAD) to post to the mailing list the first draft.

6. Circuit Interface MIB from the Frame Relay working group. What is this working group's reaction to the mib?? (Action: Robert Steinber to post to the atommib mailing list again and Faye/Nathan to gather response).


AToM MIB Agenda