Prefix Taxonomy Ongoing Measurement & Inter Network Experiment BOF (ptomaine)
TUESDAY, March 20 at 1300-1400
CHAIR: Abha Ahuja <firstname.lastname@example.org>
The purpose of the Prefix Taxonomy Ongoing Measurement & Inter Network Experiment BOF is discuss the problem of routing table growth and possible interim methods for reducing the impact of routing table resource consumption within a network. The BOF aims to discuss the feasibility of filtering and aggregating prefixes to reduce an individual networks routing table size with the least loss of routing information. In order to aid this discussion, we present a taxonomy to describe the types of routing prefixes received and sent in the Internet today.
1) To provide a taxonomy to describe prefix information for peer review.
2) To discuss filtering/aggregating prefix information and to discuss what support from protocols or vendor knobs might be helpful in doing this.
3) To determine the long and short term effects of filtering/aggregating prefixes to reduce router resource consumption.
- agenda bashing
- defining the problem - routing table growth
- review of taxonomy to frame discussion
- information loss - what routes can we eliminate safely
- other ideas/discussion